Right as Piccolo got blasted by Freeza?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Right as Piccolo got blasted by Freeza?

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:22 am

I have a question concerning an Anime Vs.Manga thing. I know this is lame but I am really curious.

As Piccolo get's blasted through the chest by Freeza (right before Goku goes SSJ), is he trying to knock Goku out of the way of the blast?

In the Anime it's very clear that Piccolo is jumping in to save Goku. However in the Manga I can't tell if Piccolo is knocking Goku out of the way or if he is just getting blasted and falling sideways.

Can someone clear this up.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:39 am

In the manga Frieza just blasts him.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:17 am

Yeah. He shoots Piccolo through the chest and he falls sideways into and then across Son. I prefer that way too, because a Dub Line went and said one of the most retarded things ever because of the whole "jumping in the way" thing.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:17 pm

Yeah. He shoots Piccolo through the chest and he falls sideways into and then across Son. I prefer that way too, because a Dub Line went and said one of the most retarded things ever because of the whole "jumping in the way" thing.
I haven't seen that episode in awhile, but it does sound pretty lame. :|

Freeza also just blasts Piccolo in Dragonball Z Budokai. :P
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:22 pm

Duo wrote:I prefer that way too, because a Dub Line went and said one of the most retarded things ever because of the whole "jumping in the way" thing.
Enlighten us...I honestly can't remember anything from the dub.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

SuperFusion
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperFusion » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:38 am

When Piccolo jumped in the way to save Goku all he said was... "Goku!"...

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:59 am

I had a screenshot, perhaps a trading card or something :lol: , of that scene with Piccolo being shot by Freeza. The angle makes it look like he's blocking it from Son Goku or something, but in the manga, Freeza just picks him off.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:52 am

"On the last episode of Dragonball Z, it seemed like a time of celebration! Old friends rejoiced together..and new friends were reunited! But what's this?!.. Oh, no!.. The nightmare wasn't over yet! And Frieza (I HATE THAT SPELLING OF IT!!!) renewed his attack on the battle weary Goku!! But a incredible sacrifice from the lion hearted Piccolo saved Goku from certain destruction! Few men have the courage for such a noble act! Piccolo had truly transformed into a being of greatness!!"

Hearing that paired with the Announcers (Kyle Hebert?) voice...and the way he says it...makes you want to stab yourself in the ear with a katana.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:19 am

That's pretty bad. But not as bad as "Krillin's in da house!" >_>;

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:54 am

Duo wrote:"On the last episode of Dragonball Z, it seemed like a time of celebration! Old friends rejoiced together..and new friends were reunited! But what's this?!.. Oh, no!.. The nightmare wasn't over yet! And Freeza (I HATE THAT SPELLING OF IT!!!) renewed his attack on the battle weary Goku!! But a incredible sacrifice from the lion hearted Piccolo saved Goku from certain destruction! Few men have the courage for such a noble act! Piccolo had truly transformed into a being of greatness!!"

Hearing that paired with the Announcers (Kyle Hebert?) voice...and the way he says it...makes you want to stab yourself in the ear with a katana.
Kyle Hebert wasn't the announcer at the time. It was another guy who did Ginyu at the time.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:17 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Kyle Hebert wasn't the announcer at the time. It was another guy who did Ginyu at the time.
I actually think they imported that original announcer from TNN's Monster Truck Madness (of course, TNN doesn't exist anymore...and neither do monster trucks...).
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:40 pm

I don't think it was a dub line, it was an overall Anime line.

But thanks for the info.

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:24 pm

DBW wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:Kyle Hebert wasn't the announcer at the time. It was another guy who did Ginyu at the time.
I actually think they imported that original announcer from TNN's Monster Truck Madness (of course, TNN doesn't exist anymore...and neither do monster trucks...).
It was Doc Harris.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:01 am

Doc Harris only did it with the Ocean Group.

And he was a nice, professional-sounding narrator
Where's the beef?

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:01 am

El_Diablo wrote:Doc Harris only did it with the Ocean Group.

And he was a nice, professional-sounding narrator
I remember him. He was good. The guy on this DVD is not/

VegettoEX could do a better intro to an episode off the top of his head.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:06 pm

Are you kidding about Doc Harris? DBW is spot on about the "Monster Truck Rally" thing. The guy made every beginning narration sound like we were about to go into a round of WWF. Part of the problem was that he was trying to sound like Phil Newman from Ocean Studios, who also made things out like that, but Harris brings it up about 10 more octaves into obnoxious. :?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:29 pm

He was better than FUNimation's attempts to imitate him.
Where's the beef?

ssj-tom

Post by ssj-tom » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:50 pm

Dale Kelly was the narrator at the time, he left the series during or at the end of the perfect cell saga.
Goku: You seem to delight in seeing other people suffer, and you treat life like a disposable comodity. You destroy homes, you take the lives of innocent peace loving people, you even take the lives of children, and all of this for your own amusement or personal gain. Well, now it's your turn.

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:06 pm

Ok. When super sonic said it was before Kyle hebert and the same guy that did Ginyu at the time I figured since that Kyle was from Funimation, and before Funimation did their own in house dubbing, the voices were done at Ocean studios, Doc Harris was the narrator at that time, and he also did the voice of Ginyu for like the 1 or 2 episodes he was in before the switch. So I figureed it was Doc Harris. But I guess that wouldn't work seeing as how the episodee in question was dubbed after the switch.