Was anyone ever actually confused by "Next Dimension&qu

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Was anyone ever actually confused by "Next Dimension&qu

Post by Kendamu » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:16 pm

Was anyone here ever actualy fooled into thinking that the "Next Dimension" was actually some seperate realm as opposed to just being where people go when they die? I remember, before I even knew how butchered the first two seasons of DBZ were, watching the dub on TV and when someone got blasted to bits and went to the "Next Dimension", that it was just synonymous with "death". My view of it all wasn't too different than the whole Death/Next World portrayal in the Japanese version.

I know so many people make fun of the Next Dimension thing. I was just wondering if anyone here was ever actually fooled into thinking it was something besides death.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:06 pm

Nope, not me! :roll: Though sadly, many of my other friends at the time were. They never got to me, halos and bodies vanishing (even if they were airbrushed out) are a sure sign of death to me. :P
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:24 pm

I never really put much thought into it when I watched the dub. In fact, I never even realized they called it the "next dimension" until I started going to this forum. :shock:

I guess our generation's become pretty desensitized to violence and death so I already knew the characters were dying.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:34 pm

To be frank, in Dragon Ball, they actually do go to "another dimension" when they die. The entire afterlife is encompassed in an entire different dimension of sorts. Even in Steve Simmons' subtitles, he makes a couple of references to the "Other World" or "Other Dimension". So no, it wasn't that confusing at all, to me at least.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:44 am

Ya. "Next Dimension" isn't really that different from the truth. In fact, it is the truth. They just dodged the fact that everyone there was dead.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:53 am

Sorry if this is off topic, but you guys ever catch wind of "Ocean VA" Nappa's pronounciation of "dimension" when refering to the after life? He always said it in a manner that hinted the characters were dying. Example: "Time to send you to the Next DIE-mension!" I loved that, paticularly because it seemed that Nappa's VA was making fun of Saban. :P
14 years later

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:57 pm

I agree with The S and Xyex, it really is a next dimension, you could even call our heaven that. It's not of this world and probably not on this plane, so it's another dimension, really.
Who said life isn't a game?

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:20 pm

It is true, it is another dimension, but Funi use the term far too much and make it obvious they use it everytime as an alternative to the word die or death. I did actually know what they meant because I well, knew. It's just that it's not sad when they die, it's just another useless chacracter off the list, but in the Japanese version people's death's are more significant and important.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:39 pm

It is true, it is another dimension, but Funi use the term far too much and make it obvious they use it everytime as an alternative to the word die or death. I did actually know what they meant because I well, knew. It's just that it's not sad when they die, it's just another useless chacracter off the list, but in the Japanese version people's death's are more significant and important.
I laughed when Yamcha and Chaozu died. :P It's just too bad Cell never had the chance to brutally murder Satan. That would've completed Dragonball for me... :lol:

Does anyone else think that Hell in DB doesn't look so bad?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:57 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
I laughed when Yamcha and Chaozu died. :P It's just too bad Cell never had the chance to brutally murder Satan. That would've completed Dragonball for me... :lol:

Does anyone else think that Hell in DB doesn't look so bad?
I thought I read somewhere that the Hell we see in the anime is just a small portion of Hell and not the 'norm' (as normal as Hell can be). Something about there being themeparks but morstly other stuff (like lakes of fire and blood, and pointy mountains).

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:48 pm

I thought I read somewhere that the Hell we see in the anime is just a small portion of Hell and not the 'norm' (as normal as Hell can be). Something about there being themeparks but morstly other stuff (like lakes of fire and blood, and pointy mountains).
I've actually heard something like that applied to Yu Yu Hakusho...

I think it's ironic how Piccolo, who became the guardian over Hell in GT, was known as demon on Earth... :P I think Toei did their homework on this one.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:01 pm

I do the same with Pokemon, I just say "Killed" or "Died" rather than fainted. It's just easier to say.

Eh, but to get back on topic, I didn't relise it until I started comming here either. But the kids obviously know whats going on, maybe they are trying to reverse the damage?

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:37 pm

One thing to keep in mind when thinking of the Afterlife in Dragon Ball is, especially with Hell, that it is more based on the more Asian thinking of the afterlife. For example, Hell in DBZ is more parallel to Jigoku or Feng Du than the Judeo-Christian Hell.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:04 am

Yeah, note how their Hell is actually...rather comfy looking in Z. o_O; Compared the ol' fire and torture for an eternity.

Technically, the "other realm" is a kind of other dimension. However, from the way they were putting it earlier on, they made it seem like the blasts had some sort of teleporting properties. >_>; Though I may be looking too much into it, even though they did keep the halos for the characters.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:22 pm

Yeah, note how their Hell is actually...rather comfy looking in Z. o_O; Compared the ol' fire and torture for an eternity.

Technically, the "other realm" is a kind of other dimension. However, from the way they were putting it earlier on, they made it seem like the blasts had some sort of teleporting properties. >_>; Though I may be looking too much into it, even though they did keep the halos for the characters.
:lol: You guys are in luck, I just got five tickets to hell. :) Any takers? Not the GT hell though, it got kind of more dark and sinister looking. :?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:08 am

Yeah, Toei really wasn't being consistant there. Perhaps Goz and Mez retired and Hell went under new management? :P

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:36 pm

Hao_Kaiser wrote:I do the same with Pokemon, I just say "Killed" or "Died" rather than fainted. It's just easier to say
Not really, because your pokémon don't actually die. You just take them to a pokémon centre and they're all healed and fine. And it's not like all pokémon can just always be ressurected or something, 'cause then how do you explain the pokémon grave yard... building... thing. so Dieing and Fainting are clearly 2 different things in Pokémon.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:20 pm

Yeah, Toei really wasn't being consistant there. Perhaps Goz and Mez retired and Hell went under new management? :P
Enma had to make budget cuts, making hell into a haven for drugs, sex, and violence. :lol:

Tapion
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tapion » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:24 am

Nah, I could always see past the Americanizers' bullshit. I knew that "the next dimension" and "HFIL" were just a (non)clever way of dancing around the subject of death... :roll: