Detail Loss in the Orange Bricks: Not Seeing It

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ringworm128
Banned

Detail Loss in the Orange Bricks: Not Seeing It

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:26 pm

Everyone goes on about grain removal and how you lose detail but I just don't see it. Yes I can see it in some screen shots but I mainly only see the blurring and (the? some?) shining (I was watching the Jheese and Butta fight on YT to compare between the DBOXes and it was like somebody was holding a flash light up to the screen). However, the way people go on about it just seems like an over-exaggeration to me.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: I'm just not seeing the detail loss in the OB's.

Post by Perfect » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:35 pm

You're referring to the "Orange Bricks" right? I just have to clarify, because I can't believe I'm reading this.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Yes I am talking about the Orange Bricks and yes I can see a bit of detail loss but I just don't think its as bad as everybody go's on about it.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:42 pm

...Really?

Season Set:

Dragon Box:

Season Set:

Dragon Box:

You really aren't seeing it? :?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:46 pm

To be fair, Season Two is, by far, the WORST offender in this case.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:...Really?

Season Set:

Dragon Box:

Season Set:

Dragon Box:

You really aren't seeing it? :?
I can see the loss of lines around the edges of the drawings but when it comes to the actual picture it seems that the over saturation is the worse offender.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:59 pm

We need some comparison shots with detailed backgrounds like trees and mountains.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:00 am

CaBrPi wrote:To be fair, Season Two is, by far, the WORST offender in this case.
Here.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 am

Dude, that's what loss of detail is. The detail is lost in the oversaturation.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:02 am

Craddle wrote:
CaBrPi wrote:To be fair, Season Two is, by far, the WORST offender in this case.
Here.

Besides some lines around the edges I'm seeing more saturation them I'm seeing detail loss. EDIT
Soul wrote:Dude, that's what loss of detail is. The detail is lost in the oversaturation.
Oh I get it now but even then apart from blurring, the cloths and skin seem to only have a bit more depth in them on the Dboxs. Though I do wanna see some screen shots of trees and caves. I think if anything is going to show detail loss it will be that.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:13 am

I can't take this seriously, really.

If that isn't detail loss, I don't know what is.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:20 am

Someone has some really bad setting on their TV to see these errors or successful troll is successful!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:24 am

Krycek7o2 wrote:Someone has some really bad setting on their TV to see these errors or successful troll is successful!
Well when I had the OB's I watched them on a SD TV so maybe thats why.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:25 am

They're going to look over-saturated, missing most of the picture/outlines regardless of the TV.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:28 am

Perfect wrote:I can't take this seriously, really.

I can see the fact that you can't see the background or those stairs but when it comes to Goku himself apart from looking too over saturated I just cant see any detail loss in his skin or cloths.

CyberpunkCentral
Not-So-Newbie

Post by CyberpunkCentral » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:38 am

What's this!? I don't even...

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:43 am

ringworm128 wrote:I can see the fact that you can't see the background or those stairs but when it comes to Goku himself apart from looking too over saturated I just cant see any detail loss in his skin or cloths.
That's just it. You're seeing the loss of detail. Anytime you use any sort of grain removal techniques (in this case combined with extreme color saturation), you're inherently going to have a loss detail. And loss of detail isn't just relative to the characters, but to the entire footage itself. Also, detail isn't just the defining outline of something like a character, it's also the contrasting colors between objects, the lighting, and the illusion of depth. Just because the character in a shot looks suitable, it doesn't necessarily imply there's no loss of detail. When two colors start to blend together, to the point where they look to be almost the same, that's a loss of contrasting detail. Even in above examples, it's not just the missing outlines removed by filters that define a loss of detail, but also the blurriness inherent from the grain removal that defines a characters shadings and tones. That's fine if you don't see it, but it doesn't mean it's not there. Not to be offensive or anything, but it's especially noticeable to someone with a semi-technical knowledge of film remastering. Another key point to remember is that loss of detail is all relative to what you're comparing the material against. If you're just watching it at home a on TV and you have no prior experience with something containing more detail than what you're watching, then you probably won't notice that much, especially if you're not too anal about your video quality.
Last edited by Hujio on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:56 am

If you guys really want to continue to try to justify that you spent your money on these terrible releases, be my guest. There is absolutely no way any of us will ever get through to you. No matter how much evidence is thrown at you, you'll just keep making excuses and defending your decision. I really don't blame you. However, a sane man has to come to his senses, eventually.

The proof is in the pudding:

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:08 am

Perfect wrote:I can't take this seriously, really.

To be honest, I don't understand half of the conversations on this forum regarding video quality, but what I can gather from general observation is that the lines on Goku's shirt in the 'Orange Bricks' aren't as well defined and appear closer together and blurry (is this a result of colour saturation?).

Seriously, they didn't mention any of this in the 10 years I've been at school. :lol: I learn more on this forum. :P

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:10 am

Hujio wrote: you probably won't notice that much, especially if you're not anal about your video quality.
I guess its because I'm not anal.
Craddle wrote:If you guys really want to continue to try to justify that you spent your money on these terrible releases, be my guest. There is absolutely no way any of us will ever get through to you. No matter how much evidence is thrown at you, you'll just keep making excuses and defending your decision. I really don't blame you. However, a sane man has to come to his senses, eventually.
I never tried to justify the OB's I dislike them just like all of you. Its just that I don't think (overall) their as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Those pics (from what I've seen) are the worst offenders.