FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Post by thedarkuniter » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:53 pm

dballfan wrote:
Craddle wrote:
thedarkuniter wrote:Since you guys keep mentioning how accurate the colors are for the Level sets, why not say the colors are accurate in the orange bricks as well? Granted, most of us hate the orange bricks, but the Level sets have the same master from the orange bricks, just only with different restoration processes.
Just because they use the same master, doesn't mean they have the same result. The restoration process is the key factor in the presentation of the final product. Take a look at some of the comparisons between the 2 before you start pointing out that the Orange Brick colors are "accurate."
Yeh exactly.
The way I see it is it's not really much of an issue about which generations are used, sur long as the Final product is good. Kind of like if I were to have some food, I'm not to bothered about the ingredients (there are limits obv :D), surlong as the final product is nice :).
That's the most interesting way to explain it, I thought I could add something to the mix. I guess you can say also that the Ultimate Uncuts are accurate, but that's not the point. :lol: Still, even without the comparisons, it seems as though people are happy with the Dragon Boxes and now they're dissing them like it's nothing between the colors and now audio.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:26 pm

Craddle wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:At the same time, boxes 1, 2, and 4 are becoming very hard to find, so unless you really look around, the level sets will still probably be cheaper.
Agreed. #3 will be close behind them soon. It's already been going in and out of stock on Amazon. After the holidays and everyone cashes in all their gift cards, 1-4 will be even harder to find. I kinda like the idea of FUNi doing this. Probably because I already completed my collection and it increases the value and rareness of my own DBoxes that much more. I do feel bad fans that didn't get to obtain these. Well, the ones that didn't know they were limited. If they knew the DBoxes were limited and waited around all this time, I don't really feel that bad for them.
Yep. I see a huge price surge happening (much like the first Dragon Ball Saga sets from FUNi) in the near future. Actually, right after Christmas, I'm willing to bet. Crazy eBay prices are right around the corner. lol

redfoot12

Post by redfoot12 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Hey, everyone! First post!
I watched Dragon Ball about 5 years ago but never got too involved in the online fan community. That said, about a month ago I decided I wanted to watch it all again but in a way that would best represent the original Japanese broadcast. I was researching online and found out about the Dragon Boxes (2 years after the 1st box was released). I've kind of been in scramble mode since. For the last two weeks I've purchased vol. 1 from eBay for around $40, vol. 6 and 3 from Amazon for $20.49 and $33.99 respectively, and vol. 4 from a 3rd party fulfilled by Amazon for $48.59.
I will probably buy vol. 5 next and see what happens with the price of vol. 7.
Obviously, 2 is going to be the hard one to track down. I bought it after it had gone out of stock on buy.com for $36.99. I'm not going to cancel that order until February or March on the off chance that they get it back in stock.
I've definitely been reading this forum for the past 2 weeks and I appreciate people who have been posting in here.
Thanks a lot!

gokuhan72

Post by gokuhan72 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:58 pm

For anyone that lives near Burlington, Ontario (Canada of course). The futureshop in Davidson Court (Only FS in Burlington) Has Dragon Box 2 new and it is in perfect condition. I was going to return the one from best that looks like a cat used the shrinkwrap as a scratch post but didn't want to go through the hassle.

It's $49.99

I won't buy and ship it to anyone else. Sorry I'd really like to but I really just don't want to go through all of it.

Though I might be able to ship it to someone in a week or two. I might be over all the Christmas shopping madness by then :lol: .

If I do decide to do this, Shipping may be a lot depending on where you are. Will post again if I can buy and ship it to someone. But if you live near Futureshop in Burlington, go pick it up if you need it.

redfoot12

Post by redfoot12 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:10 pm

^Gokuhan--
I just sent you a PM.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:42 pm

gokuhan72 wrote:For anyone that lives near Burlington, Ontario (Canada of course). The futureshop in Davidson Court (Only FS in Burlington) Has Dragon Box 2 new and it is in perfect condition. I was going to return the one from best that looks like a cat used the shrinkwrap as a scratch post but didn't want to go through the hassle.

It's $49.99

I won't buy and ship it to anyone else. Sorry I'd really like to but I really just don't want to go through all of it.

Though I might be able to ship it to someone in a week or two. I might be over all the Christmas shopping madness by then :lol: .

If I do decide to do this, Shipping may be a lot depending on where you are. Will post again if I can buy and ship it to someone. But if you live near Futureshop in Burlington, go pick it up if you need it.
Rofl, prepare for dozens of members to offer you $50 for "shipping costs."

gokuhan72

Post by gokuhan72 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Craddle wrote:
gokuhan72 wrote:
Rofl, prepare for dozens of members to offer you $50 for "shipping costs."
Oh I know lol. I might not even be able to ship this copy I just threw it out there because there is a somewhat decent chance I will.

Also to any future people who PM me, be aware that shipping to the states from where I live can range from $7 all the way to $150 depending on who I use and how fast you want it. Just keep that in mind before you PM me and then get surprised by the shipping cost.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:40 am

So I got box 2 in the mail today... dented... destroyed practically. I contacted Buy.com and they said they'd refund it and to just mail it back. Anyhow I just bought another box 2 from SM and they seem to have a weird way of ordering things, at least for credit cards. So then I went over to Target seeing that that's where volume 7 was cheapest and bought it for about 34 bucks with premium shipping, making it around 42. In hindsight to this, my collection is more or less, complete now. :D
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

redfoot12

Post by redfoot12 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:15 am

Hmm...
Maybe Buy.com will send me your damaged copy...

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:48 am

redfoot12 wrote:Hmm...
Maybe Buy.com will send me your damaged copy...
Sad that actually appears to be a hopeful response. I guess battle damaged Dragon Box #2 is better then no Dragon Box #2. :wink:

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Armymanis » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:17 am

Did anyone get any of their DVD cases broken for the Dragonbox sets? My Dragonbox 7 push out area where you get the DVD out got broken twice yesterday in shipping. The discs are a little scratched but you can still view the whole episodes, so it really doesn't bother me. Anyone have any problems with this?

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 am

You can try, though I doubt they'd knowingly send a defective set with the risk of potential legal matters or something of that nature. The entire box was smashed to 1/3 of its width, the dragon book was really the only thing that looked to be in good condition. The height of the box was also a little scrunched, causing the sides to splinter out slightly. It's like whoever was handling it got a hammer and smashed it. I suppose that's what I get for using the lowest grade of shipping possible. I paid for premium with volume 7 on Target and standard on SM for box 2, since technically it's importing from Canada.

Oh well though, without Battle Damaged Goku, Battle Damaged Freeza would have killed everyone. :(
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:50 pm

WTF is with Box #4?

It says new copy for $999.99!!!
:shock:
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

SpartenOmega117

Post by SpartenOmega117 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:52 pm

DBZ Mick wrote:WTF is with Box #4?

I noticed that too. Who in their right minds would actually buy this? I love Dragon Ball z but that's a little too much.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:54 pm

SpartenOmega117 wrote:

I noticed that too. Who in their right minds would actually buy this? I love Dragon Ball z but that's a little too much.
You could literally buy a Japanese box along with the orange bricks for subtitles for much cheaper than that.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:00 pm

If my VIZBig's don't come for those corresponding arcs soon, I'm seriously going to buy Boxs 5 and 6 for that cheap while I can.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:19 am

$40 one week... $1000 the next!

Keep an eye out on eBay for those deals.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:14 am

Someones trolling on Amazon. I doubt anyone would ever pay that much for 1 DVD boxset for ANY type of anime series. Box 4 isn't that rare yet.
Maron is stacked!!

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Armymanis » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Wow! I just looked up the price on amazon.com for the dragonbox four and its worth $1000

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Boxes 5 and 6 on Amazon are back to their original 30 dollar range prices, deals over.