Speculation: Dende's Power Level

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Speculation: Dende's Power Level

Post by Kaboom » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:39 pm

So something kind of random popped into my head today.

How strong is Dende?

On Namek, the Grand Elder unlocked his potential power like he did with Kuririn and Gohan, in order to let him reach them faster so they could summon Porunga. But even though Dende's simply not a fighter by birth and was still relegated to being their white mage for the remainder of the story arc, it still must have raised his battle power by a great deal. So I'm left wondering just how strong he wound up, and if as God of Earth he'd be able to handle most threats that might find their way to the planet if for some reason he couldn't simply sic Piccolo or one of the others on them.

So putting aside things like skill and talent and just talking in terms of power, how mighty do you think the li'l green healing machine was at any point? Who would you him most equivalent to?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Re: Speculation: Dende's Power Level

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:56 pm

Before he gets his potential unlocked, around 100.

After he gets his potential unlocked, around 1,000.

After he gets his Kami training, at least 10,000.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:18 pm

If Videl can learn to fly, I guess he wasn't anything special at the beggining.

After Saichourou unlocked his dormant power it could be anything. The point was for him to reach earthlings faster, so any power would be of help.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:27 pm

At first, I think he'd probably be around the same level of a regular Earthling, since he's not a fighter and there's no real reason why he needs to be particularly strong. Although he could even be a 10, but not have as much physical strength as a martial artist with 10 and, therefore, still be as strong. Because of that, I don't think he'd have that much dormant power within him. Perhaps the Great Elder's power-up involved his healing powers more than anything.

After the Great Elder drew out his dormant power, he could wind up at 20 or something, but still probably not have much physical strength that could do much use in a battle against a real martial artist. It's purely just guesswork.

For reference, here are all the strength-related quotes about Dende.
Strength Checker wrote:Chapter: 256 (DBZ 62), P7.2
Subject: Dende
Context: Dodoria can’t find Kuririn, Gohan and Dende because his scouter was destroyed.
Kuririn: “S’okay… He’ll never find us. Thanks to that old geezer who trashed the scouters… With one o’ those he could find even that little guy’s ki…”

Chapter: 258 (DBZ 64), P6.7
Subject: Dende
Context: Kuririn, Gohan and Dende are hiding from Vegeta, who has learned to sense ki.
Kuririn: “I was wrong! It does get worse!! Even if we suppress our ki…there’s this kid’s tiny energy!!”

Chapter: 426 (DBZ 232), P10.6
Context: Gohan’s going around telling people about the Tenkaichi Budoukai
Gohan: “How about you, Dende?”
Dende: “No, I can’t enter. I’m not a fighting-type Namekian, after all.”

Chapter: 502 (DBZ 308), P13.6
Context: Goku contemplates who to merge with
Goku: “De-Dende’s not a warrior…”
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:24 pm

I guess it would be a problem to merge with someone that is not suitable for battle. Even if you raise your battle power, it has no use if you don't know how to make a fist anymore. :lol:

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:17 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote: For reference, here are all the strength-related quotes about Dende.
Strength Checker wrote:...

And don't forget that Goku chose to merge with Mr. Satan rather than with Dende before sensing Vegeta on Earth.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:56 am

I think that after he got his potential unlocked, his power level was about 50. Before that, about 5 or 10.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:14 pm

Deity wrote:And don't forget that Goku chose to merge with Mr. Satan rather than with Dende before sensing Vegeta on Earth.
Yeah. Even merging with Mr. Satan, an average Earthling martial artist, would be better than merging with Dende, a Namekian who doesn't even practice martial arts and, even if he was stronger than Satan (and that's a big if), probably wouldn't be able to do anything with his strength.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:13 am

I think his powerlevel would be something close to Kami's, perhaps stronger since he had his power unlocked. We're probably looking at 300 - 1,000+ (After his potential was unlocked.) Going into the tens of thousands seems a bit ridiculous to me. And who says Dende even went through training after? As I recall from the story Kami told the predecessor is the one who trains the next Kami but Kami had already been absorbed by Piccolo so there is nobody to teach him. And we have to take into account that Kamiccolo arrived as a child and was trained to being worth of being Kami, Dende on the other hand had years of his people tutelage which more than likely surpasses any training a Human Kami can give.

When you compare the powerlevels of the people of earth which had so little people with a powerlevel over 100 and you compare that to Namek where you have people who are in the thousands then you can see that Namek is a much better place to learn. Dende upon arriving on Earth more than likely had all the necessary abilities and techniques to become the guardian of the earth. It didn't take him long to learn how to watch over the whole planet for instance.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:31 pm

In the Boo Arc, when Goku was choosing a partner to fuse with, he choose Mr Satan over Dende, so I'd say he's weaker than a normal human martial artist.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:51 pm

There really wasn't any need to bump such an old thread. At least it never went to multiple pages or anything, so no harm no foul, I guess. But please try to refrain from doing so.

Anyway, other people in the thread already pointed out that "not a fighter" doesn't necessarily mean "way weaker than my other options." Besides, via people like Videl we've seen what it looks like when someone with a very low power level flies, and they sure as heck aren't rocketing through the sky with an aura. Nobody with a single-digit power level is going to be able to fly like that.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Goku chose to fuse with Mr. Satan partially because if he fused with Dende, the Dragon Balls would disappear, and Mr. Satan is a "fighter".

I suppose Dende's power is in the level of the humans in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, but he never learned how to fight, so would lose anyway.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:57 am

I firmly believe Dende became at least more powerful than God after Guru unlocked his potential.

After all he did create a more powerful set of Dragon Balls.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:29 am

I'll go no higher than 6.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:34 am

Zombie wrote:I firmly believe Dende became at least more powerful than God after Guru unlocked his potential.

Skill in Namekian magic is different from being powerful in terms of strengh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:30 pm

At least stronger than Kami.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:53 pm

rereboy wrote:
Zombie wrote:I firmly believe Dende became at least more powerful than God after Guru unlocked his potential.

Skill in Namekian magic is different from being powerful in terms of strengh.
Then why are Shenron's wishes tied to his creator's power?

Even if you are right, Dende still displayed a superior Ki feat to BoZ Goku and Piccolo.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:01 pm

Didn't Spopovich and Yamu also have flight aura?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:37 am

Kaboom wrote:There really wasn't any need to bump such an old thread. At least it never went to multiple pages or anything, so no harm no foul, I guess. But please try to refrain from doing so.

Anyway, other people in the thread already pointed out that "not a fighter" doesn't necessarily mean "way weaker than my other options." Besides, via people like Videl we've seen what it looks like when someone with a very low power level flies, and they sure as heck aren't rocketing through the sky with an aura. Nobody with a single-digit power level is going to be able to fly like that.
Except Spopovich.
SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:Didn't Spopovich and Yamu also have flight aura?
Yep, and they're arguably weaker than Videl, since Videl broke Spopo's neck and was beating him up until she got tired. Remember that Videl can be killed by a single pistol bullet, so obviously that aura doesn't mean either of them are strong. Anyway:

[goes on to ask Mr. Satan to fuse]

This seems like a pretty clear Mr. Satan > Dende statement. I don't really see the need to try to BS around it. So, I put him at moderately below Bob Sapp's level, which is roughly where Mr. Satan is according to Toriyama ("I think he's pretty strong... but probably not quite as strong as Bob Sapp"). The upper tiers of the the UFC would whoop Dende (and Satan, and Sapp).
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:15 am

Zombie wrote:
Then why are Shenron's wishes tied to his creator's power?

Even if you are right, Dende still displayed a superior Ki feat to BoZ Goku and Piccolo.
There isn't any in-universe answer to that besides magic being weird. That doesn't mean that skill in Namekian magic isn't completely different from strength, which is self-evident. For example, one of Dende's characteristic abilities once he got his abilities unlocked, was his ability to heal, which has nothing to do with strength at all.

And which superior Ki feat is that? Remember that BOZ Goku and Piccolo could destroy the moon with ki blasts. In fact, even 21st tournament Roshi could. Dende has never showed any strength feat close to that, just stuff related to magic.