Retrojunk article

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Retrojunk article

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:31 am

I came across this article on Ocean Group which makes reference to their time on DB and DBZ and thought you guys might find it interesting:

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/326/

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:29 am

What a fricken awesome article! Thanks for posting that, I really enjoyed the read.

Yes, I'm actually quite the fan of the Ocean Group. So sue me.

M-Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Post by M-Vegeta » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:18 am

You'll be hearing from my lawyers. :lol:

You're obviously not the only one who likes them. Look at the size of that article!

Yeah, I liked 'em, especially since they were part of my first introduction to DBZ. I thought Piccolo, Krillin, and Gokuu were pretty decent. Well, the first time I ever saw anything Dragonball was in the back of EGM magazine. You could import the DBZ toys/action figures.

Anyway, good article ...
Last edited by M-Vegeta on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:17 am

As interesting as the article was, I was one of the most horribly written things I've ever seen. I couldn't sit through the whole thing.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:30 am

VegettoEX wrote:As interesting as the article was, I was one of the most horribly written things I've ever seen. I couldn't sit through the whole thing.
It was...heh heh, a mistake from the admin. :lol:

Only messing, that article is long so I skipped to the Dragonball part quick. It's ok, not really that good though.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:37 am

He is so gonna find an excuse to cover that up. :P

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:39 am

Oh man, EX is right. That article is really badly organized and written. It gave me a headache just skimming a bit of it.@_@ Interesting though to go back and remember all those shows.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:30 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Oh man, EX is right. That article is really badly organized and written. It gave me a headache just skimming a bit of it.@_@ Interesting though to go back and remember all those shows.
It's pretty much the evolution of anime in Montreal. :P
Think I'll go watch the Fatal Fury trilogy now. :)

As for the article... igh. I intend to go back and finish it, but that's poor structure. It's clear that it's a first draft.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:41 pm

Dayspring wrote:As for the article... igh. I intend to go back and finish it, but that's poor structure. It's clear that it's a first draft.
No, it's just Retro Junk. The site isn't exactly maintained by intellectuals... Go through and read any of their articles, they all look like they were written by grade-schoolers. Either way, their articles are always interesting, so I'm willing to look past their poor grammar, structure, etc. It's still an awesome site!
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:18 pm

VegettoEX wrote:As interesting as the article was, I was one of the most horribly written things I've ever seen. I couldn't sit through the whole thing.
I know how you feel, I just about died after the first -long- paragraph. Sooo I ended up skipping to the part about DBZ, although I never managed to finish it.
Honestly, I got a headache from the whole damn thing. I wish they could have used better structure... :(

Anyway, the sites novelty has passed for me. I'd prefer x-entertainment.com over it, any day of the week. Of course thats just by preference, as well as the fact that the author of that bloggie sort-of place has decent grammar.
Then again, I don't even visit x-e anymore... :lol:

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:00 pm

Mine as well, and I'm not kidding! :P The only thing I liked about the Ocean Group was what they did in Beast Wars and ReBoot. I hated the Ocen Dub of DBZ...

I'm a FUNi fan, so sue me...
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:09 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
Mine as well, and I'm not kidding! :P The only thing I liked about the Ocean Group was what they did in Beast Wars and ReBoot. I hated the Ocen Dub of DBZ...

I'm a FUNi fan, so sue me...
Hey now, that's disrespectful when Ian Corlette and Scott McNeil are part of the Ocean cast, and are decent VA's. I myself prefer McNeil, and Corlette to Schemmel, and Sabat. As well, the Ocean cast has done a few good things in their time..!

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:18 pm

Hey now, that's disrespectful when Ian Corlette and Scott McNeil are part of the Ocean cast, and are decent VA's. I myself prefer McNeil, and Corlette to Schemmel, and Sabat. As well, the Ocean cast has done a few good things in their time..!
I'm not saying I don't like the voice actors personally, I'm just saying I didn't like how they did the characters' voices in DBZ.

I really hated Krillin and Master Roshi's...
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:02 pm

Ya know, now I know the reason why it seems that every anime series I've watched had the same voices...
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:55 pm

DBW wrote:
Dayspring wrote:As for the article... igh. I intend to go back and finish it, but that's poor structure. It's clear that it's a first draft.
No, it's just Retro Junk. The site isn't exactly maintained by intellectuals... Go through and read any of their articles, they all look like they were written by grade-schoolers. Either way, their articles are always interesting, so I'm willing to look past their poor grammar, structure, etc. It's still an awesome site!
Gah. Nothing say professionalism like printing the unedited first draft. :|
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:04 pm

Think I'll go watch the Fatal Fury trilogy now.
Damn right! (Pops in Garou Densetsu the Motion Picture)

Clearly, this article's author(s) didn't graduate high school. Either that, or they're lazy.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:18 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
I'm not saying I don't like the voice actors personally, I'm just saying I didn't like how they did the characters' voices in DBZ.

I really hated Krillin and Master Roshi's...
Well unless you know them personally you can't dislike them personally, we know you mean their performance when dubbing.

I am no real dub fan to be honest, even though I've seen every dub episode of Z(except the one with the Space Kids) I just can't put up with it anymore. But the other day I put on an old Ocean episode, and for some reason I didn't want to turn it off, I just left it on and enjoyed it, it seems that when you've already seen the Uncut verion, watching episode 1 again is actually a breeze through because you know what happens on the uncut parts, and it's good that they get into the action quick.

My point, Ocean's VA's for me do the job nicely, Goku has a teen voice which sort of releates to the Japanese Goku without becoming too high-pitched, Kuririn's may sound squeaky and akward, but it's a lot closer to the original then Funi's is, Piccolo's voice is still deep as ever, Raditz for some reason doesn't bother me, it's Vegeta they screwed up with, I could probably do a better voice! Ok, jokes aside though, I think the tone Zarbon's voice is would have been perfect for Vegeta without a doubt, minus the accent Zarbon has...the BGM hasa sort of spooky feel, and isn't as loud and noticable as Funi's (which also continously plays through the episode), sometimes it's like there's no music in the BG when someone is shouting or and explosion is happening, and I'm like 'Silence!', but then you slowly hear its presence after all, but I'm happy the BGM is quieter.

I want to add that the way they handle the scene where Raditz hits Kuririn is awesome, Kuririn's voice makes me laugh, him going 'shoo' and saying he picked the wrong party. I found it quite funny.

Oh, and I also reckon Roshi's voice is done better in the early Ocean dub, and King Kai too. Freeza, like Vegeta was ruined, the bit where he's about to take off on he's pod with the Dragonballs he had, he does some kind of cackle that cracks me up, it's like a rat laughing, but Freeza's Japanese laugh is more of a 'Ho ho ho!', for anyone who hasn't heard, it's similar to when Bulma laughs on the episode where Freeza returns when she get's left behind.

But enough rambling, the Ocean dub is still there in my memory as the dub that should have remained aside from Funi's. It got sloppier after because after Funi took over and there were now two dubs, Ocean were just dubbing for the sake of it, they knew their dub wasn't getting released on DVD(apart from the early episodes they done of course).
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/