The greatest battle in Dragon Ball

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rebel_Yeh
Not-So-Newbie

The greatest battle in Dragon Ball

Post by Rebel_Yeh » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Is Goku vs. Freeza the greatest battle in Dragon Ball?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: The greatest battle in Dragon Ball

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:07 pm

Nope, an iconic battle in the series but not my favourite.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:29 pm

I'd have to say so. It's pretty much the climax of the series. It may not be my favourite, but it is certainly the "greatest".
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Depends how you define greatest, because it can be a subjective term. It can range from what's choreographed the best, what's the most groundbreaking, what's the most cinematic, etc. I found Goku versus Cell in the anime to be fantastic and my favorite fight. I'd say the Cell Games as a whole would be the greatest in my opinion.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:36 pm

Goku vs Vegeta

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:02 pm

It's pretty much the climax of the series
I agree with this, but I find Goku vs. Piccolo to be the best fight in the series.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:09 pm

The fight with Nappa and Vegeta. Most well done. Most emotionally-driven. Most, for lack of a better term, realistic. There is a build. All the characters get to do stuff and haven't yet found the stupid terrible idea of exclusively one-on-one fights. There isn't some huge build-up of multiple characters having a huge, massive power-up only to fail. There is an awesome feeling of despair. I could probably go on about it all day, but it's the last fight that doesn't have all the trappings and cliches that DBZ would become known for.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:23 pm

I realize I am in the minority here with my vote, but I really enjoy both of Gohan's bouts with Super Buu. You can just feel the brutality in the punches in that match.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:54 pm

Kid Buu wrote:I realize I am in the minority here with my vote, but I really enjoy both of Gohan's bouts with Super Buu. You can just feel the brutality in the punches in that match.
You're not alone with that. I agree, so so much.

My other favorites are the Saiyan Arc's Goku vs Vegeta battle and the battle against Kid Boo. I generally prefer one-on-one fights.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:05 am

Let's see here...

Goku vs. "Jackie Chun"
Goku vs. Tenshinhan
Goku vs. Piccolo Daimao
Goku vs. Piccolo Jr.
Goku, Gohan, Kuririn, and Yajirobe vs. Vegeta
Goku, Piccolo, Kuririn, and Gohan vs. final form Freeza
Super Saiyan Goku vs. Freeza
Full-Power Super Saiyan Goku vs. Perfect Cell
Full-Power Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan 2 Gohan vs. Perfect/Super Perfect Cell
Super Saiyan 2 Goku vs. "Majin" Vegeta
"Ultimate" Gohan vs. Evil Boo (normal/ +Gotenks and Piccolo)
Super Saiyan 3 Goku, Vegeta, Fat Boo, and Mr. Satan vs. Pure Boo (including Mister Satan primarily because that part's funny)

So, yeah. Basically, it's really, really hard to pick one. There are also fights that have awesome moments, but I didn't include them.

I'd also like to give special mention to Piccolo vs. #17, especially since it's one of the only even (in terms of ki vs. physical fighting) fights in the "Z" portion of the story.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:07 am

CaBrPi wrote:Let's see here...

Goku vs. "Jackie Chun"
Goku vs. Tenshinhan
Goku vs. Piccolo Daimao
Goku vs. Piccolo Jr.
Goku, Gohan, Kuririn, and Yajirobe vs. Vegeta
Goku, Piccolo, Kuririn, and Gohan vs. final form Freeza
Super Saiyan Goku vs. Freeza
Full-Power Super Saiyan Goku vs. Perfect Cell
Full-Power Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan 2 Gohan vs. Perfect/Super Perfect Cell
Super Saiyan 2 Goku vs. "Majin" Vegeta
"Ultimate" Gohan vs. Evil Boo (normal/ +Gotenks and Piccolo)
Super Saiyan 3 Goku, Vegeta, Fat Boo, and Mr. Satan vs. Pure Boo (including Mister Satan primarily because that part's funny)

So, yeah. Basically, it's really, really hard to pick one. There are also fights that have awesome moments, but I didn't include them.

I'd also like to give special mention to Piccolo vs. #17, especially since it's one of the only even (in terms of ki vs. physical fighting) fights in the "Z" portion of the story.
Oh man, Piccolo versus 17 was pretty brutal and very well choreographed. I can't believe I forgot about that, I'd have to say that comes in a close second after the Cell Games for me. :p
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

vegetaslegacy15
Beyond Newbie

Post by vegetaslegacy15 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:05 am

Well if you mean greatest as in the battle that defnes the series then yes. It introduces the idea of Super Saiya-jin. Without Super Saiya-jin the series would not be what it is. It also has the planet-shaking ground breaking attacks and is just so epic from the beginning to the end.
Horgus wrote:NSSJ2O... Nitrogen Sulfur Shounen Jump Dioxide? :?
digireign wrote:I vote to call it "Super Cyan."
-zach

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:13 am

The fights from the first 3 movies.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:28 am

- Goku vs Vegeta
- Piccolo vs Freeza
- Goku vs Piccolo Jr
- Piccolo vs 17
- Final fight against Buu
- Cell vs Goku
- Everyone vs Freeza

Honorable mentions
-Freeza vs Nail ( such a close fight )
- Earths Army vs Cell
- Earths greatest hero Mr Satan vs Cell
- Awesome farmer with shot gun vs Raditz
- Bulma vs Giant Crab
- Gohan and Kurririn vs the sea creatures trying to protect the pearl.

If you are asking which fights were the greatest in that they were well choreographed then I'd say that anything in the movies far out classes the manga and anime, but you're probably only asking about the canon series.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:31 am

Haji wrote:The fights from the first 3 movies.
Ooooo, those were really good too!

Piccolo Daimao to Freeza arc in terms of the greatest battles. All the fights from the start of the Piccolo arc to the end of Freeza.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

vegetaslegacy15
Beyond Newbie

Post by vegetaslegacy15 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:35 am

Well to be honest all the fights after the fight with Freeza except Goku's fight with Cell was all about power and spamming ki blast at one another.
-zach

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:41 am

In the battle with Vegeta, Goku uses a Kaioken too powerful for him handle in conjunction with a Kamehameha, then resorts to a Spirit Bomb as his next move.

In the battle with Freeza, Goku uses a Kaioken too powerful for him handle in conjunction with a Kamehameha, then resorts to a Spirit Bomb as his next move.

Am I the only one to notice that? :lol:

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:47 am

vegetaslegacy15 wrote:Well to be honest all the fights after the fight with Freeza except Goku's fight with Cell was all about power and spamming ki blast at one another.
17 and Piccolo were more or less about who's stamina would last longer. 16 and Cell were fairly equal and relied on battle tactics. Trunks vs Cell was about speed as opposed to power (Irony). Majin Vegeta and Goku were fairly equal and relied on battle tactics. Dabra and Gohan were more or less equal and relied on battle tactics. Gotenks and Evil Buu was pretty much just a comedic battle. Gohan and Evil Buu was about power, but was choreographed very well. SSJ3 Goku and Pure Buu for awhile was a wide variety of things but boiled down to strategy at the end (After reverting).

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:47 am

Kid Buu wrote:In the battle with Vegeta, Goku uses a Kaioken too powerful for him handle in conjunction with a Kamehameha, then resorts to a Spirit Bomb as his next move.

In the battle with Freeza, Goku uses a Kaioken too powerful for him handle in conjunction with a Kamehameha, then resorts to a Spirit Bomb as his next move.

Am I the only one to notice that? :lol:
Nope, I was always annoyed by that. Especially since those were the only two times he used the Genki Dama until the end.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

vegetaslegacy15
Beyond Newbie

Post by vegetaslegacy15 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:04 am

Perfect wrote:
vegetaslegacy15 wrote:Well to be honest all the fights after the fight with Freeza except Goku's fight with Cell was all about power and spamming ki blast at one another.
17 and Piccolo were more or less about who's stamina would last longer. 16 and Cell were fairly equal and relied on battle tactics. Trunks vs Cell was about speed as opposed to power (Irony). Majin Vegeta and Goku were fairly equal and relied on battle tactics. Dabra and Gohan were more or less equal and relied on battle tactics. Gotenks and Evil Buu was pretty much just a comedic battle. Gohan and Evil Buu was about power, but was choreographed very well. SSJ3 Goku and Pure Buu for awhile was a wide variety of things but boiled down to strategy at the end (After reverting).

I have been proven wrong. :p.

Well yea there all choreographed fairly well in my opinion. But I always thought Android 16 was Cell's superior in power.

But anyway can someone please clariry what is meant by greatst battle.
-zach