Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:29 pm

I guess I should mention this. I've seen this sentiment on forums (particularly the one devoted to Dragon Ball in the UK) and elsewhere, this was never officially announced. We were not supposed to know about its existence last year. We were not supposed to know about the Freeza casting. Ocean has never had a role in when they could announce production, but rather that's up to whomever is paying them. As I've mentioned way too many times at this point, Ocean is an ADR studio. They do not license or release anime. They hire voice actors to read lines, and edit it to match the animation. Yes, they may occasionally edit video and such, but not much more. From that point onwards, it's in someone else's hands.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:13 pm

It now says Dragon Ball Z Kai: Season One [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Sorry to revive this article, but are there any updates/news about Dragon Ball Kai Ocean Dub?
Pokewhiz7 wrote:It now says Dragon Ball Z Kai: Season One [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
This is how R1 DVD's on Amazon.uk normally appear to aware the client he's being a Region 1 DVD.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:30 am

So, just when I thought this topic was dead because the lack of...well...anything, it looks as though I've come across a very interesting video. Check it out!

>> At the 0:46 second mark, we have Scott McNeil saying "...screw the NDA, we doing DBZ Kai in 'Canadia' again."

I assume we can add this as even more proof that Kai is, in fact, being dubbed by Ocean Studios. The number 1 question is: when is this finally going to see the light of day?

---------------------

Btw, it's pretty cool to note that Scott is maintaining all of his previous roles from the original dub. I would so like to hear how this would turn out :)
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:56 am

Thank you god! So many good things came across today! He did his Scottish Jiece here and it was amazing! So he's playing Piccolo, Jiece... uh who else again...? :lol:
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:59 am

Scott McNeil is back? Awesome. Now I really wish Brian Drummond will be, too.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:02 am

kei17 wrote:Scott McNeil is back? Awesome. Now I really wish Brian Drummond will be, too.
I am so ecstatic right now! You see, us Ocean fans won't be bitching about the changes because... there are none that are bad but then again... New guy as Goku again... I don't know...
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:05 am

So it seems that Scott is indeed coming back as Piccolo along with Jeice and Dr Brief.

Give me a confirmation on Drummond and we're good to go. A shame they couldn't get Ian Corlett or Peter Kelamis back as Goku though.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:10 am

Gonstead wrote:So it seems that Scott is indeed coming back as Piccolo along with Jeice and Dr Brief.

Give me a confirmation on Drummond and we're good to go. A shame they couldn't get Ian Corlett or Peter Kelamis back as Goku though.
I'm okay with a new Goku, but, I agree otherwise. I personally would wanna see Brad Swaile or Vincent Tong as Goku this time around.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:18 am

I really hope they get a respectable Cell voice and a decent Kid Gohan since it seems Saffron Henderson isn't coming back to the voice acting business but I could be wrong and I can't take Dale Wilson seriously in his Cell role.

I'm interested in the Frieza since it seems he finished his lines some time ago.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:39 am

Gonstead wrote:I really hope they get a respectable Cell voice and a decent Kid Gohan since it seems Saffron Henderson isn't coming back to the voice acting business but I could be wrong and I can't take Dale Wilson seriously in his Cell role.

I'm interested in the Freeza since it seems he finished his lines some time ago.
What about our production? Damn these guys work fast and we don't haha!

Who knows, maybe Henderson would come back if she wsa paid enough but knowing the business here in Canada and Ocean is a Union so I doubt that very much. I just hope we don't see many comebacks from actors during the Android arc of the Ocean/AB group dub. That Trunks was not the best and Cell... oh god, Dale Wilson was awful!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:51 am

One of my dream voice acting hopes would be to see David Kaye cast as Captain Ginyu.

Seriously, picture his Beast Wars Megatron with Captain Ginyu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0avVLnSGFZU

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:52 am

David Kaye would be perfect for the role! He has the voice of a commander!

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:28 am

Surprising news from Scott McNeil (I hope the guy doesn't get in trouble), but I'm now curious...how far do they plan on getting into Kai before releasing anything?
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:51 am

Mewzard wrote:Surprising news from Scott McNeil (I hope the guy doesn't get in trouble), but I'm now curious...how far do they plan on getting into Kai before releasing anything?
Personally, it sounds like they're going to dub absolutely everything before releasing it.

At this point in time from what I interpreted what Scott said, they're up to the Ginyu-Jeice-Vegeta-Goku fight in terms of dubbing.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:52 am

It's nice to get a bit of news. I guess we've got a bit longer to wait if they're only on the Freeza Saga. Hopefully they're taking their time to make a good dub.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:06 pm

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:So, just when I thought this topic was dead because the lack of...well...anything, it looks as though I've come across a very interesting video. Check it out!

>> At the 0:46 second mark, we have Scott McNeil saying "...screw the NDA, we doing DBZ Kai in 'Canadia' again."

I assume we can add this as even more proof that Kai is, in fact, being dubbed by Ocean Studios. The number 1 question is: when is this finally going to see the light of day?

---------------------

Btw, it's pretty cool to note that Scott is maintaining all of his previous roles from the original dub. I would so like to hear how this would turn out :)
Amazing news indeed! I'm really curious on how their Kai dub compares to Funimation. Will it be even more accurate or correct mistakes from the Funimation dub? Please Ocean, give some more info. :P
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:34 pm

I have a bad feeling they're gonna reuse FUNi's scripts. Not that that's bad, because it's a good script this time, but I bet that's what they're gonna do again.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:31 pm

If McNeil's Piccolo again, let's hope he's toned down the "demon" part of the role.

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:48 pm

Gonstead wrote:I really hope they get a respectable Cell voice and a decent Kid Gohan since it seems Saffron Henderson isn't coming back to the voice acting business but I could be wrong and I can't take Dale Wilson seriously in his Cell role.

I'm interested in the Freeza since it seems he finished his lines some time ago.
For Gohan, what about Jillian Michaels? I've always liked her voice better than Henderson for Gohan. Oh sure her acting was a little off (whose wasn't in the 123-291 dub?) but IMO she had the better voice of the two. Henderson's voice for Gohan was too "generic action boy" for my taste, kinda like Johnny Quest or Flim-Flam from 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo. Michaels better captured the true personality of Gohan IMO.

As for Cell, either
A. Dale Wilson can step up his performance in the same way Sabat and Strait did for Yamucha and Kuririn.
or B. Get one of the Dobson brothers to do it.