The greatest battle in Dragon Ball

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: The greatest battle in Dragon Ball

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:07 am

Perfect wrote:
vegetaslegacy15 wrote:Well to be honest all the fights after the fight with Freeza except Goku's fight with Cell was all about power and spamming ki blast at one another.
17 and Piccolo were more or less about who's stamina would last longer. 16 and Cell were fairly equal and relied on battle tactics. Trunks vs Cell was about speed as opposed to power (Irony). Majin Vegeta and Goku were fairly equal and relied on battle tactics. Dabra and Gohan were more or less equal and relied on battle tactics. Gotenks and Evil Buu was pretty much just a comedic battle. Gohan and Evil Buu was about power, but was choreographed very well. SSJ3 Goku and Pure Buu for awhile was a wide variety of things but boiled down to strategy at the end (After reverting).
Also Goten Vs Trunks and Videl Vs Spopivich was a nice throwback to the tournaments in early DB, even if the later fight has a reputation for being one of the series more uneasy to watch fights.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:42 am

vegetaslegacy15 wrote:But I always thought Android 16 was Cell's superior in power.
No.16 himself said they are about equals in power. Perhaps his infinite energy gave him an advantage.
Kid Buu wrote:In the battle with Vegeta, Goku uses a Kaioken too powerful for him handle in conjunction with a Kamehameha, then resorts to a Spirit Bomb as his next move.

In the battle with Freeza, Goku uses a Kaioken too powerful for him handle in conjunction with a Kamehameha, then resorts to a Spirit Bomb as his next move.

Am I the only one to notice that? :lol:
Not to mention the Genki-Dama did not worked in both cases.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:59 am

And both we're ultimately defeated by a transformed Saiyan, haha!
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Rebel_Yeh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rebel_Yeh » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:13 am

vegetaslegacy15 wrote:
Perfect wrote:
vegetaslegacy15 wrote:Well to be honest all the fights after the fight with Freeza except Goku's fight with Cell was all about power and spamming ki blast at one another.
17 and Piccolo were more or less about who's stamina would last longer. 16 and Cell were fairly equal and relied on battle tactics. Trunks vs Cell was about speed as opposed to power (Irony). Majin Vegeta and Goku were fairly equal and relied on battle tactics. Dabra and Gohan were more or less equal and relied on battle tactics. Gotenks and Evil Buu was pretty much just a comedic battle. Gohan and Evil Buu was about power, but was choreographed very well. SSJ3 Goku and Pure Buu for awhile was a wide variety of things but boiled down to strategy at the end (After reverting).

I have been proven wrong. :p.

Well yea there all choreographed fairly well in my opinion. But I always thought Android 16 was Cell's superior in power.

But anyway can someone please clariry what is meant by greatst battle.
Greatest battle would mean most famous battle.

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:41 am

Son Goku vs. Piccolo Daimao by far IMO.
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:43 pm

I think my favourite battle in the series is definitely Son Goku vs. Piccolo at the 23rd Tenka'ichi Budokai. The choreography was brilliant, full of flair and flourish (the perfect blend of old-school DB martial arts and the explosive style of Z to come), and the satisfying climax where you felt Goku's desperation all the way to him finally winning the tournament. In fact, most of the tournament battles are just great, especially the respective final matches.

Son Goku vs. Piccolo Daimao is probably my second favourite, because of how emotionally driven the battle was, how it hit home more than before the incredible strength of Goku (a little boy managing to go head-to-head with the towering Great Demon King) and that it was probably one of the best (and only) times you can really call Goku a true hero. The fact that he was so desperate to win that, even all but one of his limbs broken, he mustered up enough energy to literally blast through Piccolo.

Worthy mention goes to the battle with Nappa and Vegeta, also because the heightened sense of despair that you felt more than ever this time around, with heroes that we'd grown attached to suddenly dying one-by-one. Goku eventually comes, with his Kaio-ken, but even he is crushed like an ant within Vegeta's grip. At the end of it, all of them really look as if they've been through hell. Just the twists, the turns, Vegeta somehow never staying down. It literally took everything in everyone's arsenals to take the villain down, resorting to a collapsing giant monkey to finish it.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:45 am

Yeah the Z senshi vs the Saiyans was good. Like how it seemed to take every once of energy the Z senshi had to finally defeat Vegeta.

Gogeta8001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta8001 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:42 pm

My all time favorite fight in the DB series was definitely SS2 Goku Vs Majin Vegeta.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:53 pm

For me it would have to be the Goku vs. Vegeta fight. It was well choreographed and everything seemed to flow perfectly. The highlight of it though was the beam struggle which was really amazing, especially with Goku increasing his Kaioken technique in the middle of the beam struggle to create a massive amount of ki that streamed up the beam and knocked Vegeta into the stratosphere. I believe the fight was also voted, and won, one of the best fights at an anime convention 2 years ago.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:55 pm

I'd say Goku VS Piccolo at the end of Dragonball. It was a really enjoyable fight to watch.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:15 pm

For some reason I've always loved the Piccolo vs Android 17 fight. I especially loved how they ended up forming a brief alliance to fight Cell. To me that was always cool especially when I was younger.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:41 pm

I can't decide on any one battle, really. But I will say that I love any battle where Goku and Vegeta actually team up and work together. That would be, off the top of my head, Vs Metal Coola in Movie 6, Vs Janemba in Movie 12, and of course the final showdown with Pure Boo. Oh, and also Vs Yi Xing Long at the end of GT, I suppose.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:37 pm

CatouttaHell wrote:Son Goku vs. Piccolo Daimao by far IMO.
Who are you kidding, nobody watched Dragon Ball.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:39 pm

Silver Sinspawn wrote:
CatouttaHell wrote:Son Goku vs. Piccolo Daimao by far IMO.
Who are you kidding, nobody watched Dragon Ball.
I'm pretty sure Nosferatu did.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:49 pm

Silver Sinspawn wrote:Who are you kidding, nobody watched Dragon Ball.
How does the popularity of DB affect the quality of the fights in it?
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:01 am

Because I'm pretty sure at the start of this thread, they made the point of saying which is the most popular, or iconic not which is your favourite.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:02 am

Was that a TFS reference/joke?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:07 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Was that a TFS reference/joke?
You have to understand since Dragon Ball Z, the original Dragon Ball that is, came out in 1975. 15 years before this whole "just DB" thing came out. When DB came out in 1990, nobody really cared, we'd already seen Z, most people just didn't care about another series at that point. Dragon Ball Z was extremely popular, whereas only people from Romania, Czechoslovakia and other small countries watched DB. Nosferatu, still alive to this day, was a very well known critic that bashed DBZ, but praised DB. In fact, in Japan, they canceled DB as a manga and anime. Toriyama signed it off to some Romanian guy that ended up poorly drawing and using "Homebrew" animation techniques to finish the anime. FUNimation animated the Piccolo Daimao - 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai which has recently been released on those "Blue Bricks". I hope that answers your question.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Rebel_Yeh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rebel_Yeh » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:53 am

Perfect wrote:
You have to understand since Dragon Ball Z, the original Dragon Ball that is, came out in 1975. 15 years before this whole "just DB" thing came out. When DB came out in 1990, nobody really cared, we'd already seen Z, most people just didn't care about another series at that point. Dragon Ball Z was extremely popular, whereas only people from Romania, Czechoslovakia and other small countries watched DB. Nosferatu, still alive to this day, was a very well known critic that bashed DBZ, but praised DB. In fact, in Japan, they canceled DB as a manga and anime. Toriyama signed it off to some Romanian guy that ended up poorly drawing and using "Homebrew" animation techniques to finish the anime. FUNimation animated the Piccolo Daimao - 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai which has recently been released on those "Blue Bricks". I hope that answers your question.
Dragon Ball didn't come out until 1984.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:13 am

Rebel_Yeh wrote:
Perfect wrote:
Dragon Ball didn't come out until 1984.
I don't know how more obvious I could make it a joke. lol