If Cell's test tube had survived

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

If Cell's test tube had survived

Post by NitroEX » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Let's say somehow Dr. Gero's lab didn't get destroyed by Trunks and Krillin and that in the main Z timeline Cell was left to grow for 24 years (or however long it was supposed to be). Wouldn't that mean Cell would awaken during Dragonball GT?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: If Cell's test tube had survived

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:56 pm

Probably so, yeah. But assuming nothing else on the timeline got skewed by them NOT destroying this other Cell, he'd be easily beaten. Even if he got sneaky and managed to absorb 17 and 18, he'd no longer be that strong by comparison to the others.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:45 pm

I think they should have reprogrammed him to protect the Earth or something. Imagine Cell fighting along with the Z fighters.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:I think they should have reprogrammed him to protect the Earth or something. Imagine Cell fighting along with the Z fighters.
What about his unquenchable appetite for living organisms?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:27 pm

NitroEX wrote:
Jackal puFF wrote:I think they should have reprogrammed him to protect the Earth or something. Imagine Cell fighting along with the Z fighters.
What about his unquenchable appetite for living organisms?
I think that would count in his reprogramming. They wouldn't reprogram him to help fight alongside the Z-Warriors, yet not reprogram him to suck up Earthlings (which he only did anyway because he'd presumably lost power while being in his larval state and needed to regain power to surpass and subsequently absorb the Androids).
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:11 pm

Reprogramming him to be a good guy would have been a better plot device than anything GT's really offered. It almost makes me wish Toriyama didn't have him killed so there'd be that possibility.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:50 pm

Perfect wrote:Reprogramming him to be a good guy would have been a better plot device than anything GT's really offered. It almost makes me wish Toriyama didn't have him killed so there'd be that possibility.
They still could of done it if they wanted to. Could of made the story be that there was more than one Cell being made and its discovered before he comes out of the tube. Say that it happened because of the altered time line or that in Trunks time the regular Cell had destroyed the other one or something like that.

Was Cell made with some super rare parts or something. What was stopping Gero or his computer from making a army of Cells? Even if they could only stay in first form that would still be a heck of a army.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Did Cell even have "programming"? His actions seemed to be guided by his Saiyan blood more than anything.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:05 pm

Well, he was a synthetic being and he was designed with the genetics of the greatest fighters to have walked the earth in recent years, so he had to of gotten the idea that doing what he did was considered "good" and not "bad" to him from somewhere.

As for Cell as a good guy, it's one of my favorite fanon things to think about and there's even a fan fic about it.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:20 pm

I always wished Cell turned good and joined the Z warriors...

When I was younger I always pictured Goku bringing him to the 25th Budokai when he came back for it.

Anyways, if that Cell survived they would probably have some lame plot of Goten and Trunks fighting it/him.
:?
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:42 am

If his test tube survived he'd get absolutely stomped. I don't see any reason they'd allow him on their side - without 17 and 18 he'd be weak, and they most definitely wouldn't let him absorb them.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:50 am

Gonstead wrote:Well, he was a synthetic being and he was designed with the genetics of the greatest fighters to have walked the earth in recent years, so he had to of gotten the idea that doing what he did was considered "good" and not "bad" to him from somewhere.
Well, he did tell Piccolo that he wanted to be the strongest more or less because he was born for that purpose, but I'm not sure that's a hint that it was programmed into him. Especially since he then says, "Or maybe it's just the blood of the Saiyans, or Freeza, or you flowing through me that drives me to it." Like #17 and #18, it just seemed like he was doing his own thing for the fun of it to me.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:06 am

If the surveillance device which was taking their genes in wasn't destroyed along with Cell surviving I think he would have been a much bigger threat because he would have the unlocked potential of SSJ2 and SSJ3 genes when he awoke making him that much more powerful.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:17 am

Hitiro wrote:If the surveillance device which was taking their genes in wasn't destroyed along with Cell surviving I think he would have been a much bigger threat because he would have the unlocked potential of SSJ2 and SSJ3 genes when he awoke making him that much more powerful.
That's a good point--I've never looked at it that way. Do Super Saiyans 2 and 3 have different genes...? Well, considering how cells and genetics seem to work with regards to Cell ("No wonder your Kamehameha was that weak, if you only have Goku's cells from back then!"), I wouldn't be surprised!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:55 am

If a test tube did survived then I wonder if Cell's test tube would have been brought back to life after Buu destroyed the Earth? It's possible and if a test tube did surrived somehow then Cell would have been killed easily by any of the Zetto Senshi.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:45 am

Imagine if 17 and 18 DID let Cell absorb this new "hero" Cell. What would Krillin do?
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:35 am

Bussani wrote:
Hitiro wrote:If the surveillance device which was taking their genes in wasn't destroyed along with Cell surviving I think he would have been a much bigger threat because he would have the unlocked potential of SSJ2 and SSJ3 genes when he awoke making him that much more powerful.
That's a good point--I've never looked at it that way. Do Super Saiyans 2 and 3 have different genes...? Well, considering how cells and genetics seem to work with regards to Cell ("No wonder your Kamehameha was that weak, if you only have Goku's cells from back then!"), I wouldn't be surprised!
Theres been a lot of debate as to how Trunks and Goten achieved SSJ so easy without going through the whole rage process and having a powerlevel of a certain amount to be able to obtain SSJ. A lot of people have said that it's because Goku and Vegeta concieved them around the time they got SSJ and that gene had already been activated for them when it was passed on to their sons so all their sons would have to do is initiate the SSJ transformation the way Goku, Vegeta and Gohan do now. If SSJ is a dormant gene which is unlocked with rage then I'm sure SSJ2 and 3 must also be genes in of themselves. Unless they are actually part of the SSJ gene.

To be honest it is probably unlikely that they are their own genes but sections of the SSJ gene as the whole premise for going SSJ2 and 3 is based around the original SSJ form. I can't remember if it was stated Gotenks could use SSJ2, which is technically the hardest transformation of the three, but he jumps from SSJ to SSJ3 which would indicate that as long as someone has SSJ they have the ability to achieve SSJ2 or SSJ3 no matter the order. SSJ3 is just a matter of digging down deep inside oneself and pulling out that dormant power whereas SSJ2 requires a fine method of increasing their muscle mass and power perfectly without it effecting ones speed. Gohan who was the first to achieve SSJ2 was said to be able to do it because of his talent and hidden depth of power which kind of points to it being a gene of its own. No matter how you look at it though as long as you have Saiyan DNA you will always have the same outcomes from obtaining the forms, that says to me they are predetermined and as such would be genes themselves.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:57 pm

I was thinking this as well. He'd probably have the cells of Boo, Dabra, Kaioshin, Gotenks and Ultimate Gohan too, damn talk about over kill.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:12 pm

Bussani wrote:Did Cell even have "programming"? His actions seemed to be guided by his Saiyan blood more than anything.
And Piccolo, Freeza and King Cold's blood. But he does mention that he was programmed to be the strongest being in the universe. Obviously, it doesn't really seem to be something that he directly follows, as it's more likely that, like most villains, he's thirsty for power and wants to assert his superiority outside of programming. Similar to #17 and #18, who are programmed to kill Goku, but clearly don't follow Gero's orders and only want to kill Goku for fun, having been told that he's the strongest on Earth. Compare those three to #16, who has a one-track mind on killing Goku until Cell arrives on the scene.

In terms of what drives him to become the strongest being in the universe, I think it may be both, but it's his blood and personal actions that are dominant.
Hitiro wrote:Theres been a lot of debate as to how Trunks and Goten achieved SSJ so easy without going through the whole rage process and having a powerlevel of a certain amount to be able to obtain SSJ. A lot of people have said that it's because Goku and Vegeta concieved them around the time they got SSJ and that gene had already been activated for them when it was passed on to their sons so all their sons would have to do is initiate the SSJ transformation the way Goku, Vegeta and Gohan do now. If SSJ is a dormant gene which is unlocked with rage then I'm sure SSJ2 and 3 must also be genes in of themselves. Unless they are actually part of the SSJ gene.

To be honest it is probably unlikely that they are their own genes but sections of the SSJ gene as the whole premise for going SSJ2 and 3 is based around the original SSJ form. I can't remember if it was stated Gotenks could use SSJ2, which is technically the hardest transformation of the three, but he jumps from SSJ to SSJ3 which would indicate that as long as someone has SSJ they have the ability to achieve SSJ2 or SSJ3 no matter the order. SSJ3 is just a matter of digging down deep inside oneself and pulling out that dormant power whereas SSJ2 requires a fine method of increasing their muscle mass and power perfectly without it effecting ones speed. Gohan who was the first to achieve SSJ2 was said to be able to do it because of his talent and hidden depth of power which kind of points to it being a gene of its own. No matter how you look at it though as long as you have Saiyan DNA you will always have the same outcomes from obtaining the forms, that says to me they are predetermined and as such would be genes themselves.
Agreed. That is a great theory.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:09 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:But he does mention that he was programmed to be the strongest being in the universe.
I don't think he ever used the word "programmed", though. The closest thing was when he said something similar to, "I was created to be the strongest, so that's what I'm going to do." I didn't see even a small hint of programming from #17 or #18, either, but #16 is obviously another matter.