Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Gonstead » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:17 am

penguintruth wrote:What's great about Drummond's Vegeta is that he sounds like he's completely in love with his own voice.
What a strange relationship... now how the hell do we explain Trunks?

Sorry, I couldn't resist, hahahaha!
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 am

Yeah, I get that. Drummond's a really good actor. However, the only roles of his I'm familial with are Vegeta and Ryuk; both of whom he voices with a scratchy voice. I wonder if he'd be able to portray it as well while sounding more natural.

Kiddo626
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kiddo626 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:16 am

batistabus wrote:Yeah, I get that. Drummond's a really good actor. However, the only roles of his I'm familial with are Vegeta and Ryuk; both of whom he voices with a scratchy voice. I wonder if he'd be able to portray it as well while sounding more natural.
Well, he was also Zechs Merquise from Gundam Wing, and IIRC, he sounded pretty smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXdDSIfmr-w

Might not be the best clip ever, but I was having a bit of a rough time finding legitimate clips and not crappy AMVs. >_> I dunno if that's how you'd want Vegeta to sound, but I think it's a little comforting knowing that he's capable of toning down the gruffness.

dagame10k
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dagame10k » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:16 am

KingofWisdom wrote:But it's pretty inconsistent. If you think about it, most of the aliens learned English/Japanese not from Earth, so why is Jeice the only one with an accent?

Edit: I guess a better way to phrase that would be that if all these characters learned the same language in different parts of the universe, and if you believe Jeice's accent(s) adds depth to the show, then most of the aliens should logically have accents too. So clearly that wasn't part of the reasoning for Jeice's English voices.
What I should have said was it it added a bit of uniqueness to the character, and yes I agree with what your saying, Jeice was likely given the accent at random, I just don't see the need to remove it just because no other character exhibits a similar character trait. If they are using actual script translations this time around, I could see the accent causing a bit of a problem, either way I wouldn't be pissed off if the accent goes.
Gonstead wrote: There's an old rumor going around about someone named Brian Kingsley who was cast for Goku and Nappa, but I'm highly doubtful of it.

As for VA's who I'd want to stay...

- Scott McNeil as Piccolo and Jeice (Confirmed)
- Brian Drummond as Vegeta
- Alec Willows as Burter
- Ian Corlett/Peter Kelamis as Goku (Hopeful but highly unlikely)

VA's I want replaced...

- Alistair Abell as Trunks (Too old sounding)
- Dale Wilson as Cell (Absolutely terrible)
- Don Brown as Shenron (Too much gravel throaty sounding. Doug Parker works better)
- Don Brown as Mr Satan (Too high pitched)
- Richard Newman as Porunga (Sounds too much like his Rhinox from Beast Wars)
- Terry Klassan as Master Roshi (Sounds like a terrible impersonation of his Krillin)
- Terry Klassan as Krillin (His original performance in the 1 - 53 dub was decent but his later performance went down the drain)
- Jillian Michaels as Gohan (Far too Girly, not enough Boy to the voice)

The rest I could honestly care less about.
-Saffron has been working on Inuyasha Final act and Nana, I see her returning as Gohan
-Brian Drummond as vegeta if no one better suited was found, would really like to see him go back to his Season 1/2 preformance
-Ted Cole as Yamacha if no one better suited was found, Cole needs a better than Westwood performance hich would happen with a better production.
-Paul Dobson as Zarbon
-Michael Dobson as Nappa
-Wild card Matthew Erickson or Samuel Vincent as Trunks, both are better suited than Abell

I do see other actors being cast to their former roles, and some new casting, but my predictions above are the only ones that I feel that are most likely.
"Nobody's Real............"

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:29 am

VegettoEX wrote: I'd say the triple-canibalization (quadruple, if you count the orange bricks still on my Target and Best Buy shelves) of having competing products on the market is having a far larger effect.

I think you're just making up an argument you want to be valid.
I should've mentioned the reasoning behind my statement.

Over the course of the Kikuchi placement I've spoken with and heard from people who said they won't be getting Funi's Kai releases after part 4 and there were 2 main reasons along others:

1: They don't want Kikuchi in Kai
2: They want a consistent score

Of course there are other factors which may have led to a decrease in sales, competition being one of them. In order to gain a better understand a detailed analyses would need to be done to establish the reasoning behind the buying trends, and primary research would constitute a big part of that analysis. We as fans perhaps have a better understanding on the reasoning behind fan purchases than Funimation as we are more involved in the fandom than they are. (I'm not saying this is definite, Funimation may have a big market research department devoted to the DB series for all we know, in which case they'd have a better understanding of the reasoning behind buying patterns than I'm giving them credit for.)
TripleRach wrote:I know where the language originated from, and it still doesn't matter. Hundreds of years of separation from the British Empire, along with a few oceans, have created perfectly valid regional variants of English throughout the world. Blame the ancient Englishmen for spreading the language around and not being able to force it to stay in sync with UK English. The British don't exactly speak Old English, either, so there's been plenty of change everywhere.
Perhaps the British empire didn't do as good a job to keep the English language in sync as they should've. The change occurred more in the way the language is spoken rather than how the words are pronounced but it can be successfully argued that the British English accents are closer to the original English than any other English accents around the world.
TripleRach wrote:But yes, British accents absolutely are foreign to Canadians and Americans, because that's not how they speak normally, and it's unique to a country hundreds of miles (or kilometers) away. Obviously everyone has an accent of some sort, and this whole argument has been about whether to put on different accents or not.
American accents are foreign to the British.

When you go to another country you're a foreigner, when you take someone else's language and change pronunciations around, you created a foreign accent of said language.

The point is, someone from a country which adopted another country's language, calling the accents of the original country with the original language foreign is an oxymoron, it's false, it's actually those people from the adoptive language country who have the foreign accents. If there's a problem, blame those who lived centuries ago for not keeping the pronunciations in sync.

Ocean should be complimented and commended for using British accents in their dub. Considering that the Westwood Ocean dub was primarily produced for the UK and European markets, I would say they should've included a lot more British accents for the characters than they did.

Anyway, as I recall, the American accents was one of the complaints when the change from Ocean to Funi in the Ginyu saga of DBZ occurred. The Ocean dub definitely has less American accents than Funimation's dub but I feel that even Funi toned down the Amercian accents in their dub. In some cases they even attempted to pronounce some words like the British would with characters such as Vegeta and Cell. Although there are characters that have too heavy an American accent in the Funi dub, such as Hercule. Hercule does not have that accent in the Ocean dub. It's relatively neutral compared to Funi, some words pronounced in a Canadian way but otherwise it's a toned down accent which makes it closer to how people in Southern England speak. Not the same way but not as different as an American accent.
Last edited by RazorX on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:48 am

Razor, a lot of that "Kikichi Kai" hate and complaining I've only seen in forums such as this one, other than that, the majority loves it, I too.

But if they can find a replacement soundtrack for Ocean Kai, maybe it'd work out.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:07 pm

The hate for Kikuchi coming from this forum are mostly from people who normally like Kikuchi.

My issue is not just the bad placement, it's the way Toei handled the situation. The original OST should not have been removed but if it was, they should've licensed more tracks to use than they did from Kikuchi. If money is an issue, then wait for some more revenue to come in from the royalties from international airings of the score then use it to license more music. Or at the very least license the rights to use DBZ Movie 1's music. The addition of music from that movie would've made the score so much better. But rather than do that, Toei don't even make use of all the limited amount of music they actually can use.

But I think I've ranted enough about Toei's use of Kikuchi. In the worst case scenario if Ocean use Kikuchi I might replace the music with Yamamoto myself.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:17 pm

RazorX wrote:American accents are foreign to the British.

When you go to another country you're a foreigner, when you take someone else's language and change pronunciations around, you created a foreign accent of said language.

The point is, someone from a country which adopted another country's language, calling the accents of the original country with the original language foreign is an oxymoron, it's false, it's actually those people from the adoptive language country who have the foreign accents. If there's a problem, blame those who lived centuries ago for not keeping the pronunciations in sync.
"Adopted"? You make it sound like Native Americans went to the UK and decided to take the language. But no, the reason English is spoken in the Americas is because the British physically went there and brought the language with them. There was no "adopting"; the colonists and their descendants just kept their native language. It was as much their language as it was for the people who stayed in the UK. Americans and Canadians can trace their lineage back to the Anglo-Saxon era just as well as people who still live in the UK. The geographic origin doesn't change the fact that English is now a native language for the US and Canada, so they have as much right to call British accents foreign as they do Australian accents or Singaporean accents.

This is all very off-topic, but I just can't ignore these language supremacy semantics.
-Rachel

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:58 pm

RazorX wrote:In the worst case scenario if Ocean use Kikuchi I might replace the music with Yamamoto myself.
I'm highly doubtful that you'll be able to do that because this Ocean Kai dub is likely to be a TV-only dub and the audio will be mixed only in stereo. You need a 5.1ch audio track to extract voices. (Well, there is a way to delete the music from a stereo track, but It's really, really too much of a bother to do it to a whole episode. It takes almost 20 to 30 minutes to delete only one piece of music.)

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:18 pm

kei17 wrote:
RazorX wrote:In the worst case scenario if Ocean use Kikuchi I might replace the music with Yamamoto myself.
I'm highly doubtful that you'll be able to do that because this Ocean Kai dub is likely to be a TV-only dub and the audio will be mixed only in stereo.
Probably but then again you never know. also to do a rescore you need to be really good with audio manipulation software, if you are then you might stand a chance of succeeding
kei17 wrote:You need a 5.1ch audio track to extract voices.
I agree 5.1ch audio is the best way of doing something like score replacement because with 5.1 you can just get rid of the music and still have the voices and sfx intact the only drawback however is how you have to manually cut certain parts, adjust the music's volume, place the music in the right spots, and you have to do this for each music track to make it sound like the original (I'm working on episode 53 trying to make a yamamoto rescore that's more faithful to the original broadcast release so I speak from experience.)
kei17 wrote:(Well, there is a way to delete the music from a stereo track, but It's really, really too much of a bother to do it to a whole episode. It takes almost 20 to 30 minutes to delete only one piece of music.)
Mind sending me a pm on how to do this cause i'm curious about how it's done.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:59 pm

kei17 wrote:(Well, there is a way to delete the music from a stereo track, but It's really, really too much of a bother to do it to a whole episode. It takes almost 20 to 30 minutes to delete only one piece of music.)
Mind sending me a pm on how to do this cause i'm curious about how it's done.[/quote]

Can you send me a PM too? This sounds interesting!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:25 pm

(Well, there is a way to delete the music from a stereo track, but It's really, really too much of a bother to do it to a whole episode. It takes almost 20 to 30 minutes to delete only one piece of music.)
Read this topic: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... =7&t=18989

They call me the go to audio guy for a reason in my parts of the world. Ugh, people and their n00bness with audio! :lol:

Anyways, Ted Cole and the Dobson's should revise all their roles for the dub. Drummond, Henderson and Kelamis should all be apart of the dub as well but I have a hard time seeing Kelamis return though I think he's love to!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:35 pm

I'm not exactly pining away for Ted Cole's return to Yamucha. Not that he was bad, just unremarkable. Same with Matt Smith's Tenshinhan. Just kind of there and nothing else.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 pm

Well I think it might be fair to keep in mind that, for every actor we may not be thrilled about returning, it's entirely possible that they have improved. I mean, I'm sure many of you will agree that many of the returning actors from FUNimation improved dramatically in the Kai dub over their performances in the Z dub. It's entirely possible that the same event will take place with the Ocean dub of Kai.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:08 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Well I think it might be fair to keep in mind that, for every actor we may not be thrilled about returning, it's entirely possible that they have improved. I mean, I'm sure many of you will agree that many of the returning actors from FUNimation improved dramatically in the Kai dub over their performances in the Z dub. It's entirely possible that the same event will take place with the Ocean dub of Kai.
The thing is though is that the Funimation actors have had more time to adapt into the roles and improve upon the old in the redubs and video games.

The Ocean cast however hasn't touched anything Dragon Ball since Z ended. When's the last time any of them actually have spoken in the roles? A few conventions and some over 9000's here and there, but that's all about it really.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 am

Gonstead wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Well I think it might be fair to keep in mind that, for every actor we may not be thrilled about returning, it's entirely possible that they have improved. I mean, I'm sure many of you will agree that many of the returning actors from FUNimation improved dramatically in the Kai dub over their performances in the Z dub. It's entirely possible that the same event will take place with the Ocean dub of Kai.
The thing is though is that the Funimation actors have had more time to adapt into the roles and improve upon the old in the redubs and video games.

The Ocean cast however hasn't touched anything Dragon Ball since Z ended. When's the last time any of them actually have spoken in the roles? A few conventions and some over 9000's here and there, but that's all about it really.
Are you trying to make me feel a loss of hope Gonstead? :lol:

You bring up a good point but remember, a good actor can adapt quickly and get the hang of their roles fast! I think this will be an all-or-nothing for Ocean with the fans.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:23 am

Attitudefan wrote:
Gonstead wrote:

Are you trying to make me feel a loss of hope Gonstead? :lol:

You bring up a good point but remember, a good actor can adapt quickly and get the hang of their roles fast! I think this will be an all-or-nothing for Ocean with the fans.
*Evil cackle*

Only time will tell until this is released.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:33 am

*Sad whimper*

That amount of time is killing me! It's too long!

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:29 am

I just want some sort of official confirmation.

Not like what Scott McNeil and Kirby Morrow have said but an actual confirmation on this dub being produced either by Ocean or the company behind funding the dub.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:40 am

Gonstead wrote:I just want some sort of official confirmation.

Not like what Scott McNeil and Kirby Morrow have said but an actual confirmation on this dub being produced either by Ocean or the company behind funding the dub.
Was there anything to that effect back when the Westwood dub (aka the "Post-Saban Ocean Dub") of DBZ started airing? I don't recall because I live in the U.S., but I vaguely remember that no official announcement was made, and that one day the Westwood dub just started playing without anything in the way of an "official" announcement.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."