What if GT was simply a post-28th budokai Z-saga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

What if GT was simply a post-28th budokai Z-saga?

Post by Dayspring » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:35 pm

What do you think would be the attitude of fans if GT in its entirety took place in Dragonball Z as sagas that took place after the 28th budoukai? In other words, DBZ doesn't end with the 28th budoukai, it keeps going on with the Grand Tour saga, Bebi, etc all under the Z title. Instead of 2 Z specials and a GT special, there'd therefore be 3 Z specials.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:15 pm

Well, I certainly know my attitude would be that the Baby-arc and forward would really drag DBZ down as a whole. The beauty of GT is that those of us who don't like it can dismiss it as a non-canon series, or an alternate continuity like the DBZ movies.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:46 pm

I liked GT, so it really wouldn't bother me either way. We'd just have a longer DBZ anime. If they did this they could exclude the Bebi and Super 17 sagas altogether, and do what was done with Yi Xinglong and SSJ4 in Budokai 3's Dragon Universe Mode. :P
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:40 pm

I honestly don't know. But I'd probably not like it as much as the earlier Dragon Ball story arcs.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:19 pm

I remember back in... it was '02 before GT came out right? Anyways, there was an air around GT that was "ZOMG NEW UBAH COOL SUPER NESS." , but now its just "Meh..." I relise that everyone thinks "GT=Suck", but I don't think the "Z" label would make people think it was any better. We could've avoided the Dub song though.

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:52 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:I liked GT, so it really wouldn't bother me either way. We'd just have a longer DBZ anime. If they did this they could exclude the Bebi and Super 17 sagas altogether, and do what was done with Yi Xinglong and SSJ4 in Budokai 3's Dragon Universe Mode. :P
Ditto to that Chaos.

As for the question, I don't think it would but it is really hard to say. I think that even if you kept it Z and took out Toriyama, it still would have ended in disaster for it anyway. After all, that's what makes GT what it is; it didn't have Toriyama directly dictating what would go down in the end. That's how I see it.
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:13 am

We wouldn't have an orange Goku. :lol: And for the love of Kami, Trunks doesn't have to be a fucking Mirai clone!

:) More Piccolo! That's where GT fucked up, leaving out characters that had once been the backbone of Z.
I remember back in... it was '02 before GT came out right? Anyways, there was an air around GT that was "ZOMG NEW UBAH COOL SUPER NESS." , but now its just "Meh..." I relise that everyone thinks "GT=Suck", but I don't think the "Z" label would make people think it was any better. We could've avoided the Dub song though.
:shock: I remember this, even back in 1999. What's funny is that Pojo's Anime Magazine said that GT would start in the fall of 2000, at a time when the android saga hadn't even aired. :lol:
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:11 pm

Well, if Toriyama created GT then everyone would probably like it.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm

Great Saiyaman wrote:Well, if Toriyama created GT then everyone would probably like it.
Actually, he did the character designs so...

As for GT sucking because he had no say over it, the same went all filler. He did absolutely nothing in regards to the anime.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mr. Robot » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:12 pm

Sure, but completely new animators were hired; basics designs were by Toriyama but the show's animation had a very different feel overall. Plus, the storylines...eh. And yes, Toriyama did say that he would have pushed it in the same direction if he had continued it, but still...eh.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:08 pm

LOL, but he had nothing to do with the storyline. Even though he helped out with art it still wasn;t his ideas in the series.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:10 pm

Anyone who doesnt like GT over Toriyama's disinvolvement is foolish. I don't like GT and wouldn't really like it even if it was in DBZ, and under that animation style. I more or less found far too many aspects of the plotline lame (and I actually liked the return of chibi Goku so it's not that). I'd think of it much as I think of the Garlic Junior saga - skip over material.
-Laserkid

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:02 pm

laserkid wrote:Anyone who doesnt like GT over Toriyama's disinvolvement is foolish. I don't like GT and wouldn't really like it even if it was in DBZ, and under that animation style. I more or less found far too many aspects of the plotline lame (and I actually liked the return of chibi Goku so it's not that). I'd think of it much as I think of the Garlic Junior saga - skip over material.
Same goes for me. As for the animation comments earlier, GT crappy? Have you guys seen GT? Most of its animation was phenomal compared to much of Z. Remember the battle against Freeza? That was crap.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:13 am

GT had great ideas.

A race through the galaxy with Earth on the line? Good.
A villain who's not after revenge on Goku? Good.
Turning the Dragonballs themselves against the heros? Very good.

And then it all gets fucked up in the execution.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:15 am

Turning the Dragonballs themselves against the heros?
I think that was the worst idea they came up with. It's just wrong, really a disgrace to Toriyama's work.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:20 am

How so, if I may ask? There was nothing in DBZ to say the Dragon Balls were pure good. Hell, most villains could've used them and got exactly what they wanted, and some of the wishes could have been selfish (Why just bring back Earth? Why not bring it back AND throw in world peace? :o)

... Uh, damn. This turned into a joke post, and I really didn't..

Anyway, seriously. How was it a "disgrace to Toriyama's work"?

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:29 am

OK, well syre it's just my opinion. But come on, the DragonBalls were made to be such a great thing, it grants a wish. And to say these things acctually spawn evil, it's just wrong.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:45 am

Great Saiyaman wrote:OK, well syre it's just my opinion.
... *blink* I'm not sure if you meant to say "sure" or that was a cheap insult. Most likely the former, though, so continuing on.

Like I said in my previous post, there's nothing to say the Dragonballs were strictly good. If a villain wished to destroy a planet, chances are it would have happened. And the good wish - bad outcome thing is a common thread in anime. Yin/yang and all that. (For example, the second Cardcaptor Sakura movie had a card that was the collected darkside of all 52 Clow Cards)

There's really nothing going against anything Toriyama said. =/

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:20 am

I know that, it's more a feeling than a fact. I mean come on, the DragonBalls acctually spawn evil. Not people using them for evil. They acctually spawn evil. I just hate it.

Plus, wouldn't the Nameks know of this?

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:14 am

Great Saiyaman wrote:I know that, it's more a feeling than a fact. I mean come on, the DragonBalls acctually spawn evil. Not people using them for evil. They acctually spawn evil. I just hate it.

Plus, wouldn't the Nameks know of this?
Everyone must remember the old Kaioshin saying how they can't use the Dragonballs, saying it's not right to use them unless you live on Namek, you can't use them for the sake of other planets blah blah, until Goku bribes him with the pictures of Bulma he would take(yeah right).

Anyway, maybe this is what he meant about not using them. Then bad things happened in GT, I guess it wasn't really that bad of an idea, it's just the way they handled it, it all seemed too un-DBZ.

All in all, I find GT bad in comparison to DBZ(even if Goku Vs Frieza is stupidly dragged on for the sake of making more episodes), if Z or DB were never made and GT appeared from nowhere, who would have watched it?
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/