FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: FUNimation's Dragon Boxes have indeed been discontinued

Post by Perfect » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:06 am

I guess I was right afterall about those eBay listings by MM for #2. :p
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Mr. Hardstone

Post by Mr. Hardstone » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:53 am

TriforceCaptre wrote:
DNA wrote:
Echo64 wrote:My local store has Dragon Box 2 and a couple others on sale for $40, do you think it's worth it to buy them now and sell them sometime in the future?
If they have Dragon Box 4 and you'd be a dear a bought it for me, I'd be more than happy to pay you the $40, plus postage and handling, plus either give you something back in return or a little extra money.
I second that, (boxes 2 and 4)! I don't have anything special to offer in return except some extra cash on top of the cost of the item and shipping.

Just throwing it out there :) .
Yeah, ditto here on that one! I'd be willing to pay around $50-60 (but am open to offers) plus postage! Jus' sayin'.

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:43 pm

I just recently found out about this discontinuing issue, so pissed I didn't buy it back then.

Would you guys say $140-150 is fair for Dragon Box 4 at this point? I'm not sure if it'll just keep getting higher or if this is the type of thing to fluctuate.

kidglov3s
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kidglov3s » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:03 pm

h3ndrix2005 wrote:I just recently found out about this discontinuing issue, so pissed I didn't buy it back then.

Would you guys say $140-150 is fair for Dragon Box 4 at this point? I'm not sure if it'll just keep getting higher or if this is the type of thing to fluctuate.
One sold this morning for $44.99 on eBay. I personally will not spend more than $50 for any Dragon Box. I guess it depends what it's worth to you. I, personally, think if you persistantly watch eBay and make bids for what it's worth to you, you will probably eventually obtain it for as much.

darkflame05

Post by darkflame05 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:00 pm

h3ndrix2005 wrote:I just recently found out about this discontinuing issue, so pissed I didn't buy it back then.

Yeah, I wasn't happy about the discontinuing either, but more because of the timing. I get that FUNimation warned about these being limited, but to discontinue production immediately after the last Dragon Box was released? I would've thought for sure that FUNimation would wait at least a couple of months after Seven's arrival or even 2012 before halting stock. I've never heard of a limited release being discontinued immediately after its completion.

As for prices, I'd say you're more likely to pay that much for Dragon Box 2 than 4 right now. Two is virtually impossible to get unless you're willing to pay $150+.

And one other thing I noticed about the Dragon Boxes: on Barnes and Noble, they had Box 4 for about $56 around Christmas time, but then lowered it to the current $36. My first thought was: B&N must have it, because why would they lower the price on a backordered item? But it's been around $36 for some time, so I'm having serious doubts that they have it.

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:19 pm

darkflame05 wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't happy about the discontinuing either, but more because of the timing. I get that FUNimation warned about these being limited, but to discontinue production immediately after the last Dragon Box was released? I would've thought for sure that FUNimation would wait at least a couple of months after Seven's arrival or even 2012 before halting stock. I've never heard of a limited release being discontinued immediately after its completion.
I'm going to assume that they can only produce a certain number of each box.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Chibi Gohan wrote:I'm going to assume that they can only produce a certain number of each box.
I assume they can produce as much as they want but chose not to.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:55 am

DNA wrote:
Chibi Gohan wrote:I'm going to assume that they can only produce a certain number of each box.
I assume they can produce as much as they want but chose not to.
Why would they choose not to? That's ridiculous.. especially knowing how FUNimation likes to spam DBZ with different versions of the show at the same time. If anything it probably has to do with some kind of agreement with Toei about printing a limit quantity for each box or episodes. It just doesn't make sense for FUNimation to print more of one box than others. Something else must be interfering here.

INVINCEABLE
Not-So-Newbie

Post by INVINCEABLE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:26 am

Volume 4 is finally OOS at Barnes and Noble.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:18 am

Daimakku wrote:Why would they choose not to? That's ridiculous.. especially knowing how FUNimation likes to spam DBZ with different versions of the show at the same time. If anything it probably has to do with some kind of agreement with Toei about printing a limit quantity for each box or episodes. It just doesn't make sense for FUNimation to print more of one box than others. Something else must be interfering here.
The Dragon Boxes were aimed at the fans of the original Japanese version, and originally it was sold in limited quantities in Japan too, so FUNi might've done the same to follow Toei's steps.

Dragon Ball Z Kai - Parts 1 & 4 are now being sold for high prices (not all of them - P4's @ $30) due to containing Kenji Yamamoto's Kai music.

Glad I got the Dragon Boxes and DBZ Kai Parts 1-6. :)

DBZ Kai Part 7 on Blu-ray's $24.99 & DVD's $26.99 the prices are definitely not the final. xD
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Yuyunarutoballz

Post by Yuyunarutoballz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:42 am

Speaking of Dragonball Kai, why purple for part 7 on the spine? Wasn't purple already used on part 4 i think?

Also, still looking for box 4. Really hope it doesn't get to the point where i have to sell my boxes 1 through 3 :(

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Yuyunarutoballz wrote:Speaking of Dragonball Kai, why purple for part 7 on the spine? Wasn't purple already used on part 4 i think?

Also, still looking for box 4. Really hope it doesn't get to the point where i have to sell my boxes 1 through 3 :(
This purple blends in perfectly with Cell, looking at his body parts.

But yep, they should use another colour instead, purple's been used already.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

INVINCEABLE
Not-So-Newbie

Post by INVINCEABLE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:01 pm

After going OOS, Barnes and Noble has decided to put Volume 4 back up. Could they really have some coming in?
Last edited by INVINCEABLE on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Movie Mars put one back on amazon.co.uk and I bought it, they're trying to charge me so let's see how it goes.

INVINCEABLE
Not-So-Newbie

Post by INVINCEABLE » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Volume 4 is Backorded at Best Buy, but now you can add it to cart again.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:16 pm

INVINCEABLE wrote:After going OOS, Barnes and Noble has decided to put it back up. Could they really have some coming in?
Vol.4? It says 1-2 weeks availability. I highly doubt they will be getting any.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Craddle wrote:
INVINCEABLE wrote:After going OOS, Barnes and Noble has decided to put it back up. Could they really have some coming in?
I noticed when these are back ordered (or sometimes out of stock) they say they have it in stock..then you purchase it and they either tell you...or cancel your order....

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

INVINCEABLE
Not-So-Newbie

Post by INVINCEABLE » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:21 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Craddle wrote:
I noticed when these are back ordered (or sometimes out of stock) they say they have it in stock..then you purchase it and they either tell you...or cancel your order....
I've had a BN order since January 2nd and I have yet to receive an update or cancelation email. The expected ship date says January 23rd. Not sure what's going on. It was listed as out of stock last night, couldn't even add it to cart. Today, it's available to order again. Not expecting them to ship anything, but I'll find out by the end of January.

SongOfStorms125

Post by SongOfStorms125 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:28 am

Ordered box four from moviemars_usa on Amazon UK last Monday during the false stock on their inventory fiasco and today they have said it has been shipped.
so it looks like some of those ghost items people were talking about was real stock after all.

(If it is box 4 I’ve finally completed my collection!!!)