Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by RazorX » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:42 pm

TripleRach wrote:My whole argument was that the British are not above the word "foreign" solely because they live in the same area where the language originated. It's just completely baffling to me that you would suggest it's wrong for native speakers in other countries to use that word, because from their perspective it's just as foreign as any other aspect of British culture.
It's wrong because of what the word foreign means. It's the context at which you're trying to use the word. I'm not saying that you shouldn't use the word foreign when referring to culture, because there is a culture difference. Culture is more subjective than language, you can argue that your country has it's own culture which originated from it (Well, there's probably aspects of British culture in the US but then again you've got cultures within cultures). You can't argue that the language originated from your country, therefore use of the word foreign when referring to accents in the way you are suggesting becomes incorrect. As I said, "different" would be a more contextually appropriate world.
TripleRach wrote:To suggest otherwise says to me that British accents are above other accents, solely because of their geography, and that's what made me think "supremacy."
A supremacist would look down at you. I'm not looking down at you because you have a different accent to me. I don't think any less of anyone solely because of their accent. (I actually think certain American accents on girls sound cute....but that's another story)

People view things in their own way, such as this American girl who argues that British accents are better than American accents.
TripleRach wrote:I would argue the same thing about Spain Spanish vs Mexican Spanish.
If Spanish originated in Spain and Mexican Spanish accents are different, then Mexican Spanish accents are foreign. The context is the same as our discussion but with different languages.

I'm perplexed that you found this offensive because...foreign is not an offensive term. What is offensive, for example, is calling immigrants "aliens" or "illegal aliens." That appears to be rather mainstream in the US because their media and politicians seem to use it without much hesitation.
TripleRach wrote:But this is the last I plan to post about this, because I think I'd just be repeating myself and going in circles if I continued.
Yeah, discussing the Ocean dub of Kai is more interesting. The key point which I hope I've made clear is that using the word "foreign" when referring to British accents is contextually incorrect because of the origin of the language tying in with what the word means. You can call other cultures foreign and not be contextually incorrect because culture is more subjective.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:03 am

penguintruth wrote:Ugh, Matthew Erickson. He just reminds me of that awful Zeta Gundam dub. Effing Blue Water.
Erickson's Trunks was amazing. Why you even bring up the intentionally stiff-directed Zeta Gundam dub is beyond me.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:24 am

NeoKING wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Ugh, Matthew Erickson. He just reminds me of that awful Zeta Gundam dub. Effing Blue Water.
Erickson's Trunks was amazing. Why you even bring up the intentionally stiff-directed Zeta Gundam dub is beyond me.
I'm not a Gundam guru, and I have not seen the Zeta Gundam dub. However, my general experience with Gundam is that it does tend to be on the stiff side, even on the Japanese end. I used to joke with my friends that you knew a major episode was going on when one of the characters actually emoted.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:05 pm

I attributed the weak dub to it being from Blue Water, which does almost exclusively shit work.

For a good Gundam dub try Gundam Unicorn, dubbed by NYAV. Richard Epcar, Michelle Ruff, and Rachael Lillis are all in it. Hell, Sean Schemmel is in it!
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:57 am

Guys, check this out: http://youtu.be/lf4Gf_LWCao

It's FUNimation Z Kai Son Goku SSJ + Ocean Dub Music, the result? Awesomeness!
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:38 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Guys, check this out: http://youtu.be/lf4Gf_LWCao

It's FUNimation Z Kai Son Goku SSJ + Ocean Dub Music, the result? Awesomeness!
Not to shamelessly plug, but I made a concept video for Kai using the Ocean Dub music a couple months back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd3XDEfw8cA

But, to actually add something to this topic, I'm pretty excited about the new Ocean Dub, mainly because I'm curious to how many new VA's they'll be bringing in. Having a completely new Goku and Freeza is cool, and I'd like to see more of that. Glad Scott McNeil is back for Piccolo (though not sure about Jeice, or Dr. Briefs), but I suppose I'm in the minority as far as Brian Drummond being brought back as Vegeta. I hope they go with somone new. It'd be cool to see a performance with a more natural voice from the character(although I have no problems with Sabat's Vegeta in Kai. I rather love it actually). I just don't see Drummond really being able to do that, not that he isn't an excellent va in his own right(he's great). But I guess my thinking on the matter is that the more new voices, the fresher and more entertaining the Ocean Kai Dub could end up being.

The bad thing about it is it will most likely re-envigorate the mindless Funi vs Ocean wars. Really, why can't people just appreciate both?

(And by appreciate, I mean Funi's Z Kai Dub, and the first Ocean Dub(for what it was at the time). The Original Z Dub from both Funi and Ocean is god-awful stuff. . .though I'd had to say the second Ocean is the worst ever competent English dub of the series.)
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/auNXDruqEb
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Ultimate International Edtion + Super: Ultra Instinct Cut http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 07#p491107

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:16 am

saiyanprimalforce wrote:The bad thing about it is it will most likely re-envigorate the mindless Funi vs Ocean wars. Really, why can't people just appreciate both?
saiyanprimalforce wrote:though I'd had to say the second Ocean is the worst ever competent English dub of the series.
Comments like this don't really help though. It just adds fuel to the flame.

I do agree that it's a mindless debate but only because people are usually always bias to what they heard first and literally can't appreciate anything different.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:50 pm

NitroEX wrote:
saiyanprimalforce wrote:The bad thing about it is it will most likely re-envigorate the mindless Funi vs Ocean wars. Really, why can't people just appreciate both?
saiyanprimalforce wrote:though I'd had to say the second Ocean is the worst ever competent English dub of the series.
Comments like this don't really help though. It just adds fuel to the flame.

I do agree that it's a mindless debate but only because people are usually always bias to what they heard first and literally can't appreciate anything different.
Eh....I....sort of disagree. It certainly can be mindless, and often is. One need only look at the various "dub comparison" YouTube videos to confirm that. On the other hand, though, just like I love watching plays with different casts, I love watching dubs with different casts. This is coming from an actor's perspective, but each actor brings something new to the table, and it can often be fascinating to compare how two different people interpreted the same character. So I think the comparison videos are very fun, and they can lead to very good discussions about what truly makes a performance effective.

You're right, though, often it just turns into your standard, tasteless, grammar-lacking debates consisting of, "no u suk cuz (funi/ocean) is more HARDcore dbz rulz!!!"
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:21 pm

RazorX wrote:It seems nowadays everytime I come to post something in this Ocean dub of Kai topic, there's a new page, which is good. The Funimation dub topic is buried underneath other topics. The Ocean topic is active and we only have a minimal amount of information so far, keep the discussion going :)
I don't mean to sound like i'm gloating or anything, but in actuality, this topic was really quite dead before I stumbled upon a youtube video feature Scott McNeil blurting "We're dubbing Kai". Since then, this tread really exploded with new discussion.

But back on topic, I'm glad that with the minimalist of information, the Ocean dub of Kai still gets a huge amount of attention. For myself personally, it's really just a curiosity thing, since I enjoy/take interest in the dubs from the voice cast up in Vancouver but don't however, think the the Ocean Dub of DBZ was the best thing since sliced bread. I really just want to hear it for comparisons sake :p

But whether for the good or the bad, a new alternate english dub will at least keep the discussions going for even longer. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:23 pm

Okay, so...as utterly SICK as I am of that "It's Over 9,000!" meme...

...Is there anybody else who will swallow their pride and admit that they're excited to possibly hear Brian Drummond yell that line again? I know, I know, that meme is ancient history and, more often than not, annoying. But c'mon...you know that part of you will smile when (or if) you hear Brian Drummond's Vegeta shout that again.

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:32 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Okay, so...as utterly SICK as I am of that "It's Over 9,000!" meme...

...Is there anybody else who will swallow their pride and admit that they're excited to possibly hear Brian Drummond yell that line again? I know, I know, that meme is ancient history and, more often than not, annoying. But c'mon...you know that part of you will smile when (or if) you hear Brian Drummond's Vegeta shout that again.
No. He did it wrong anyway. It wasn't supposed to be over the top. Goku's base battle power was 2X+ weaker then Vegeta. Why would Vegeta freak out anyway? Even Sabat did it somewhat right. This time Drummond needs to do it right. Even if they leave the dub error in I wouldn't mind as long as Drummond isn't pissed off as hell.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz
'Let's hold off on the trophy Majin Boo!' Brad Swaile as Teen Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/ My channel RenewedTenjin.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:37 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Okay, so...as utterly SICK as I am of that "It's Over 9,000!" meme...

No. He did it wrong anyway. It wasn't supposed to be over the top. Goku's base battle power was 2X+ weaker then Vegeta. Why would Vegeta freak out anyway? Even Sabat did it somewhat right. This time Drummond needs to do it right. Even if they leave the dub error in I wouldn't mind as long as Drummond isn't pissed off as hell.
Well, I didn't mean excited in the sense of "eager to hear a great performance," I meant excited in the sense of revisiting a famous source of humor (and eventually, annoyance) in the DBZ community.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:49 pm

I'd prefer they left it as over 8,000.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I'd prefer they left it as over 8,000.
Agreed.

"Over 9000" is so annoying (it's like an unfunny parody of the official version), even more than "But then I took an arrow to the knee" (Skyrim).

This would make Ocean Kai's TV Airing better than FUNi's in this scene because they'd use the original power level (8000).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:18 am

At this point, I don't really care Drummond uses over 9,000. I gotten to a point that I really don't care about the inaccuracy of it. For better or worse, it'll always be part of the English Dragon Ball fanbase. It even spend on the Mexican dub of Kai with Vegeta saying "nueve mil!".
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:45 am

thedarkuniter wrote:At this point, I don't really care Drummond uses over 9,000. I gotten to a point that I really don't care about the inaccuracy of it. For better or worse, it'll always be part of the English Dragon Ball fanbase. It even spend on the Mexican dub of Kai with Vegeta saying "nueve mil!".
That's because they used the censored script of Z Kai Nicktoons.

If you take a look at the Brazilian Kai, they kept the original amount of power (8000).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:26 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
thedarkuniter wrote:At this point, I don't really care Drummond uses over 9,000. I gotten to a point that I really don't care about the inaccuracy of it. For better or worse, it'll always be part of the English Dragon Ball fanbase. It even spend on the Mexican dub of Kai with Vegeta saying "nueve mil!".
That's because they used the censored script of Z Kai Nicktoons.

If you take a look at the Brazilian Kai, they kept the original amount of power (8000).
Well, it's kind of weird, because both of those dubs used the Nicktoons-censored footage of the English dub. Even in the Brazilian version, you can clearly hear the English version of "Over the Star" playing in the background during its respective episode (which one exactly escapes me). In spite of that, it does appear that the Brazilian scripts are more accurate. It makes me wonder what translation they're using for the basis of their scripts, though. Because--and bare in mind, I admit that I could be totally wrong--in addition to using the footage, it appears as though they are using the English dub for the purposes of allowing the actors to preview the lines before they deliver them. When an anime dub is being recorded, the dubbing actor watches a "preview clip" of their line in the original language so that they can get a feel for the emotional context. And it seems in many cases that the Brazilian dub has the actors modeling their delivery after the delivery that the English actors gave. In spite of the fact that the Brazilian dub used "It's over 8000," the delivery sounds very much like Chris Sabat's delivery of the "It's over 9000" line.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:48 pm

That video about 8000 really has crappy quality watch this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXCZaKEiUG8

I'd say they definitely used FUNimation's English version but made several changes alike their Brazilian DBZ Dub.

FUNi | BR Kai
Kakkarot | Kakkaroto

etc.

BR Kai Error - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAuJCXU1c7w

These awkward errors (like It's Him / É Ele!) are from the TV-Version, the Uncut DVD version hasn't even been released yet. It's still watchable, I'll be waiting for the Brazilian Gohan SSJ2 Kai.

Oh yeah.. The Castellano dub of Kai sure is taking a long time (like Ocean Kai). :|

By the way, pronouncing "Kuririn" for native English speakers is hard I admit, but those who aren't or speak more than two/three languages can say the name easily.

Ku-ri-rin (English: "Cue-re-reen" or something relative)
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:58 pm

The Mexican Spanish dub of Kai also changed some of the English names to their "proper" Japanese names. A little over a year ago now, dub director Irwin Daayan tweeted that he wanted the help of the fans to determine how to pronounce certain names and attacks. It was later revealed that the reason he asked that was because they received the Nicktoons-censored English version of Kai for dubbing purposes, and Daayan wanted to "correct" the English translation he was provided wherever he could so that fans of the original Mexican Spanish dub would be less offended. So, in spite of receiving the English scripts, "Spirit Bomb" is still "Genkidama," "Destructo Disc" is still "Kienzan," "Saiyan" is still "Saiyajin," and so on and so forth. In the Mexican Spanish dub, any time you hear one of the original Japanese terms instead of the English, that's director Irwin Daayan taking some liberties with the translation he was provided.
dbboxkaifan wrote:These awkward errors (like It's Him / É Ele!) are from the TV-Version, the Uncut DVD version hasn't even been released yet.
I hate to veer off-topic since there's already a thread for the discussion on the international dubs, so I'll be sure to make this my last question about them in this thread. You mentioned here that the uncut DVD hasn't been released yet. Do we know for a fact that Brazil is going to get uncut DVDs of Kai? Because if they are, that has some extremely interesting implications as far as what materials they received for dubbing purposes.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:00 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:dub director Irwin Daayan tweeted that he wanted the help of the fans to determine how to pronounce certain names and attacks.
So because of him Son Goku is just called Goku, then? What a flop. :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou2gib4vWAw
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Do we know for a fact that Brazil is going to get uncut DVDs of Kai?
Just assumed, because why would they released the censored DVD's with audio issues? If they're going down that road, then they shouldn't even bother with it at all.

I hope Ocean makes a lot more use of the name "Son Goku" than FUNimation ever did on their Kai dub, at least they (FUNimation = Schemmel -- What a weird name) said Son Goku once (I am the Super Saiyan, Son Goku!!).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray