DBZ Orange Bricks being separated into parts

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

YamiAtomsk

DBZ Orange Bricks being separated into parts

Post by YamiAtomsk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:28 am

Hi everyone, I didn't notice this on the home release guide of the site nor did I catch any thread topics about this so I thought I might bring it up.

A few weeks ago I was browsing the DVD section at walmart when I happened upon these 2 individual parts of season 1 of Dragon Ball Z. It's most likely these are the orange brick discs in new packaging.

Anyway just thought I would bring this to everyone's attention

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: DBZ Orange Bricks being separated into parts

Post by Gonstead » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:32 am

I saw a little bit of this back before the change over but the different cover art for each part is new.

Does this mean Funimation will be providing new characters for different parts?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:33 am

That's very strange. Walmart also has combined seasons. So why would they do this?
So mondo lame.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:35 am

GotenDaisuki wrote:That's very strange. Walmart also has combined seasons. So why would they do this?
For those who are tight budgeted and who can't afford a full season.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:36 am

Well, yeah, but don't you think three versions of exact same release is overdoing it a bit? People are gonna get confused.
So mondo lame.

YamiAtomsk

Post by YamiAtomsk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:39 am

Gonstead wrote:
GotenDaisuki wrote:That's very strange. Walmart also has combined seasons. So why would they do this?
I just checked Walmart's site and they're selling the normal orange bricks for 20$ so that makes no sense.

It's a 5$ difference and it would cost MORE to buy the separate parts.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:44 am

YamiAtomsk wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
I just checked Walmart's site and they're selling the normal orange bricks for 20$ so that makes no sense.

It's a 5$ difference and it would cost MORE to buy the separate parts.
Huh. I got nothing then.

YamiAtomsk

Post by YamiAtomsk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:47 am

And to think, instead of this we could be getting a "parts" re-release of the Dragon Boxes.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:51 am

I'm not surprised at all. Shout! Factory refuses to sell season sets of any children's license they have (even ones that had previously HAD season sets... Hey Arnold...) because retailers won't sell them anymore. That's why MLP fans can't get what they want and why it was such a big deal when Adventure Time finally got a full season collection.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

YamiAtomsk

Post by YamiAtomsk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:53 am

bkev wrote:I'm not surprised at all. Shout! Factory refuses to sell season sets of any children's license they have (even ones that had previously HAD season sets... Hey Arnold...) because retailers won't sell them anymore. That's why MLP fans can't get what they want and why it was such a big deal when Adventure Time finally got a full season collection.
But didn't they release season sets of Transformers?

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:05 am

It's a more recent practice of theirs. Hey Arnold!, as I mentioned, got a seaosn one full release; however season two (& onward, if B Ward's word is to be taken for truth) will be split.

edit: just so I have proof and I'm not talking out of my ass, rationale from B Ward regarding splitting sets.
Last edited by bkev on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

YamiAtomsk

Post by YamiAtomsk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:14 am

bkev wrote:It's a more recent practice of theirs. Hey Arnold!, as I mentioned, got a seaosn one full release; however season two (& onward, if B Ward's word is to be taken for truth) will be split.
Man that sucks. I guess since now we're in the age where you can just pull up whatever shows you want on netflix, people are less inclined to buy season DVD releases.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:10 am

bkev wrote:It's a more recent practice of theirs. Hey Arnold!, as I mentioned, got a seaosn one full release; however season two (& onward, if B Ward's word is to be taken for truth) will be split.

edit: just so I have proof and I'm not talking out of my ass, rationale from B Ward regarding splitting sets.
I hope they don't take this approach with Power Rangers. There's about a billion episodes of that show. We'd be looking at a TON of sets.

On-topic: I feel bad for anyone who buys these split up season sets. The full "seasons" are $20 on Amazon.

Kuririn Of Orin

Post by Kuririn Of Orin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:26 am

Soo uhh? Has anyone bought them? o-o If so, what's the quality like? Is it just the orange bricks separated? Or does it actually have decent quality? Normal colors, 4:3 aspect ratio (so no cropping) etc etc.

Are there any extras? Have there been any changes made to the English dub? What music is on them? So many questions.
That awkward moment when you accidentally make the of in your username start with a capital O.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:44 am

Kuririn Of Orin wrote:Soo uhh? Has anyone bought them? o-o If so, what's the quality like? Is it just the orange bricks separated? Or does it actually have decent quality? Normal colors, 4:3 aspect ratio (so no cropping) etc etc.

Are there any extras? Have there been any changes made to the English dub? What music is on them? So many questions.
They're very obviously the orange bricks repackaged.

Would it have killed them to just take their raw 4x3 footage and put them on DVDs using the same assets as the orange bricks otherwise (same audio, menus, etc.)? That would take hardly any effort at all, and wouldn't cost much at all, and printing costs wouldn't be different as they're obviously still printing these, and took the time and money for new packaging.

It's just that it's really bad when the only current fully available release is still the orange bricks. At least for people that don't own the series yet.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:56 am

I wouldn't mind if they just went back and added 4:3 as an option for a different video angle or to just remove the cropped black bars.

They have the raw footage for 4:3 so surely it shouldn't be a problem?

Seriously, the decision to crop into 16:9 widescreen was one of the worst decisions. The extra footage is somewhat nice but at the cost of losing 20% of the image? Blah.

Kuririn Of Orin

Post by Kuririn Of Orin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:58 am

Metalwario64 wrote:They're very obviously the orange bricks repackaged.
Pfft, Funi being lazy as always. If they were like the Blu-rays they were making just lower quality (480p, maybe?), I might have considered getting them. But I'm not interested in poor quality film, which I've already gotten on sets which at least have more episodes than these do, for around the same price. Bleh.
Last edited by Kuririn Of Orin on Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That awkward moment when you accidentally make the of in your username start with a capital O.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:27 am

It's just Walmart grabbing money. Instead of taking $20 for a set, they're trying to trick consumers into $30 by making them buy parts.

I actually am fine with the whole 16x9 thing. It's a pain in the ass, but it's not too jarring. What really pisses me off is how crappy the footage looks. It's like they decided to drown the footage in Bleach.

In one of the Level 1.1 Special Features, there was a scene with Steve Franko showing off his original transfer, which was pretty much the BD's without the tapemarks and scratches removed. I'd like to see those hit the market, as they are probably cheaper for Funi to make.
Last edited by funrush on Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:30 am

funrush wrote:It's just Walmart grabbing money. Instead of taking $20 for a set, they're trying to trick consumers into $30 by making them buy parts.
Are these Walmart exclusives?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:34 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
funrush wrote:It's just Walmart grabbing money. Instead of taking $20 for a set, they're trying to trick consumers into $30 by making them buy parts.
Are these Walmart exclusives?
I think so. They do this a lot with their DVD's when they combine sets together. Except this time they're splitting them.