The Anti-Dragonball Z Kai Dub Video Rebuttal

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

The Anti-Dragonball Z Kai Dub Video Rebuttal

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:56 pm

Over the weekend, for some reason or another, I felt like making a bit of a video doc highlighting the major improvements of the Kai dub over Z, as well as sort of challenging and rebuking the sometimes, often bizarre claims from Z Funi dub fans using no more than the actual footage from the shows themselves. The video is pretty through, and runs about 26 mins, but I think it illustrates the differences pretty well.

Anyways, I thought I'd share it here in the forum, and see what kind of discussions may develop from it. The video's already gotten the most comments I've gotten on any video in two days, so it has definitely sparked some debate. And hope it continues to do so.

Also, I guess I should mention I left the music debate on purpose, since this is solely about the quality of the dubs themselves. Besides which, I think everyone here knows my feelings on Kai's replacement score, and that often sorta goes more into preference territory, rather than objectivity.

With that said, hope you guys enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlrYSUg_q9E
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/auNXDruqEb
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Ultimate International Edtion + Super: Ultra Instinct Cut http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 07#p491107

Kuririn Of Orin

Re: The Anti-Dragonball Z Kai Dub Video Rebuttal

Post by Kuririn Of Orin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:16 am

That video made me lol, congrats. The stuff those girls said made me cringe, it's clear nostalgia dictated a lot of their views. They must have only seen a couple of episodes on Nicktoons or something, to say some of the stuff they were saying about the violence, it being aimed at kids etc.
That awkward moment when you accidentally make the of in your username start with a capital O.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:12 am

Yikes! You forget how bad the original dub was when there is something better out there (made by the same people no doubt!)

Wow, those girls sound like they're pulling the nostalgia card out.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:21 am

Attitudefan wrote:Yikes! You forget how bad the original dub was when there is something better out there (made by the same people no doubt!)

Wow, those girls sound like they're pulling the nostalgia card out.
Not to mention the fact that they didn't do any research beforehand with claims such as "They changed Android 16 and 17's voice actors/voices".

This is why scripting before shooting comes in handy, so it doesn't make you look like an uneducated fool.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:23 am

Good job contradicting everything they said with solid footage and comparisons. That was awesome. :lol:
So mondo lame.

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:32 am

Thanks for the compliments, guys. Much appreciated!

Kuririn Of Orin wrote:That video made me lol, congrats. The stuff those girls said made me cringe, it's clear nostalgia dictated a lot of their views. They must have only seen a couple of episodes on Nicktoons or something, to say some of the stuff they were saying about the violence, it being aimed at kids etc.
I don't know, they seemed like they've been watching. Their opinions mirror pretty much the same as all the other vocal anti-Kai fans, however misinformed. A good chunk of people don't even have the slightest clue about the uncut releases, and really, in this day and age, it doesn't take much to educate ones self on a topic of interest. If I thought Kai was some kid-friendly, censored mish-mash, I'd certainly be Google-ling sites to figure out just what the hell is going on. Especially if you can upload a video on youtube to complain about it. . .

Attitudefan wrote:Yikes! You forget how bad the original dub was when there is something better out there (made by the same people no doubt!)
I know! The old dub feels like a million light years away at this point. I think now that we have a great english dub, the original dub can be looked upon with more fondness as a hilariously bad, but enjoyable parody. (Even though it's not!). Good or bad, Funimation's history has certainly added a bunch of color and diversity to dragonball's lineage.

Gonstead wrote:Not to mention the fact that they didn't do any research beforehand with claims such as "They changed Android 16 and 17's voice actors/voices".

This is why scripting before shooting comes in handy, so it doesn't make you look like an uneducated fool.
Yeah, I thought it was funny they thought Jeremy Inman had been replaced as 16--when all he's doing is using his actual voice. Their actual rant was about 18 mins, so obviously I cut it up to get to the relevant portions worth critiquing/poking fun at. Of course, they aren't the only ones you can find videos of raging about Kai with complete misinformation/ignorance.

But also, I think they struck me as Trunks fangirls, specifically because of their complaining about how Kai portrays Trunks as being disguised by Vegeta selfishness, when he's "supposed" to be all glossy-eyed at Vegeta because he's his father. It's like, they totally don't even understand the dynamic between the two. Nevermind that even in the Funi dub, as I showed those back-to-back clips, it wasn't love at first sight like they claim it's supposed to be.

GotenDaisuki wrote:Good job contradicting everything they said with solid footage and comparisons. That was awesome. :lol:
Thanks! I certainly had fun making it. It was a very interesting experiment. I might have to make another one, or something similar sometime. I just hate that the vid gets off synch near the end, but I think that was youtube, or because of the differences of all the source footage I used(the actual file on my computer plays fine).

I suppose my favorite bit is the Benny Hill Season 3 segment. No better music for those scenes could come to mind, lol.
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Ultimate International Edtion + Super: Ultra Instinct Cut http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 07#p491107

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:53 am

Who are those girls defending the FUNi Z dub so much?
saiyanprimalforce wrote:Over the weekend, for some reason or another, I felt like making a bit of a video doc highlighting the major improvements of the Kai dub over Z, as well as sort of challenging and rebuking the sometimes, often bizarre claims from Z Funi dub fans using no more than the actual footage from the shows themselves. The video is pretty through, and runs about 26 mins, but I think it illustrates the differences pretty well.

Anyways, I thought I'd share it here in the forum, and see what kind of discussions may develop from it. The video's already gotten the most comments I've gotten on any video in two days, so it has definitely sparked some debate. And hope it continues to do so.

Also, I guess I should mention I left the music debate on purpose, since this is solely about the quality of the dubs themselves. Besides which, I think everyone here knows my feelings on Kai's replacement score, and that often sorta goes more into preference territory, rather than objectivity.

With that said, hope you guys enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlrYSUg_q9E

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:01 am

sangofe wrote:Who are those girls defending the FUNi Z dub so much?
No idea, lol. Just one of the videos that I found on youtube typing in "dragonball z kai sucks."

Here's their original video--though it's a moot point really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYP0_wq6boc

There are quite a few of these misinformed and/or nostalgia blind rants on youtube.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:38 pm

Yeah, and aside from that the mindless YouTube comments people use to "defend" their views on why "Z" is better to them are abound. :roll:

Also, my favorite part was when they said "Who cares about the Japanese version" and you used the Majin Vegeta clip. Gold. :lol:
So mondo lame.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Loved the video, it works so well. I hope we can get the Z dubbies that hate Kai to look at this. I wonder if those girls have seen this yet?

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:52 pm

We must spam their inbox with the video sent!
So mondo lame.

Kuririn Of Orin

Post by Kuririn Of Orin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:31 am

GotenDaisuki wrote:We must spam their inbox with the video sent!
I second that.
That awkward moment when you accidentally make the of in your username start with a capital O.

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:36 am

GotenDaisuki wrote:Also, my favorite part was when they said "Who cares about the Japanese version" and you used the Majin Vegeta clip. Gold. :lol:
Haha, yeah. It was either Vegeta, or a Wakamoto Cell yell. They were the two finest screamers in Japanese Z.
funrush wrote:Loved the video, it works so well. I hope we can get the Z dubbies that hate Kai to look at this. I wonder if those girls have seen this yet?
I don't think they have yet. I've seen quite a few people commenting on their video after watching mine, so I suppose they'll eventually find out. I haven't submitted it as a video response yet though.
GotenDaisuki wrote:We must spam their inbox with the video sent!
There are a few others as well (on youtube I mean) that could probably benefit from seeing it. Nah, actually I'm joking about that. Some people just can't seperate subjectivity from objectivity. :lol: Not that I thought the video would change any opinions, but judging by a few comments on the video, people are going to hate on Kai regardless because it's not Funi Z. Which just bewilders me because it's like, "do you really want to be fan of a show that seems like it was written for 5-year-olds?"

Btw, a few of my favorite comments thus far.

sangofe(under the girls video comments)
You're not a fan of Dragonball Z, you're a fan of FUNiball Z.
"Why change it if it's already good?" That's what fans were wondering when FUNi made the original dub, girls!

PiscesCaballero

Post by PiscesCaballero » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:28 am

XD these Kai haters are so hilarious. :lol:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:46 pm

PiscesCaballero wrote:XD these Kai haters are so hilarious. :lol:
The one that pronounces Bruce Faulconer as "Bruce Faulfur" is my fave. :lol:

But yeah, these silly goofs misuse the term "original" so much, in the original Son says "I am Son Goku, the Super Saiyajin!!" (or the other way around). It ain't "Ally to good, nightmare to you" Batman...
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:01 pm

saiyanprimalforce wrote:
"Why change it if it's already good?" That's what fans were wondering when FUNi made the original dub, girls!
Aw, no credit for me? :P

Seriously though, I was never the biggest detractor of the original dub, but there is seriously nothing about it that Kai hasn't done better.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:27 pm

It baffles me when they say Trunks had a lot more emotion in the Z dub. I think it's the other way around. The voice sounded really awkward in Z, but in Kai the voice was perfect for the character. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug (for those two girls, especially).
So mondo lame.

PiscesCaballero

Post by PiscesCaballero » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:41 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:It baffles me when they say Trunks had a lot more emotion in the Z dub. I think it's the other way around. The voice sounded really awkward in Z, but in Kai the voice was perfect for the character. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug (for those two girls, especially).
Personally I never understood why Trunks was considered BISHONEN and why the female fandom-especially within Japan- is so crazy about him until I saw it in Japanese.

I mean the Japanese VA made him sound so gentle,sweet,and incredibly refined! Even though he ranks low in Bishonen rankings (when compared to other series consisting of ridiculous Bishonen like Saint Seiya), his Japanese voice really gives an expression of Bishonenism that really does portray his gentlemanly personality well! I can see why the female fandom is crazy about him when I watch Dragon Ball in Japanese (even when he was all bulky in USSJ he still manages to sound bishie).

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:22 pm

ThunderPX wrote:
saiyanprimalforce wrote:
Aw, no credit for me? :P
Whoops. I didn't recgonize that you were a forum member. Now I do, haha. Yeah, that was a great quip you posted.
GotenDaisuki wrote:It baffles me when they say Trunks had a lot more emotion in the Z dub. I think it's the other way around. The voice sounded really awkward in Z, but in Kai the voice was perfect for the character. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug (for those two girls, especially).
I think what a lot of people don't like is the "rasping," but they confuse that with crappy acting. Which is silly. since Vale's performance is great. The rasping doesn't bother me and all, and sounds natural. I mean, when I first heard it, it sounded weird, but so did Clickenbeard's 18, Clarke's semi and perfect cell voice. But it only takes a five mili-seconds to adjust, and then you're golden.

I know technically the rasp isn't being faithful to Trunks japanese counterpart "gentleness", but eh, the rasp makes him sound like a hardened warrior who's lived through a hellish future. We could get into arguments about whether that's a justified direction or whatnot, but honestly, it suits me just fine.

Victorious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Victorious » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:29 pm

I don't care much for the Funi dub version of Kai, but I do love the Japanese Kai with Yamamoto's score.