Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Just thought I'd throw this question out there... Does anyone think that, at some point, either during the dubbing of Kai or after all the boxsets are released, that FUNi will redub both the movies and 2 t.v. specials with the new voice cast?

I ask this because it seems a little weird that they'd dub the show the way they're currently doing so, but not the movies and specials. It feels awkward seeing some Kai eps., followed by one of the movies that had the original FUNi voice group.

Obviously, Kai is proving to be a hit as it moves towards the new generation. But what's gonna happen to the new generation of fans when they get their hands on the movies and specials? It'll possibly confuse them all and create quite the comotion.

Any thoughts/opinions?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Will The Z Movies Get The Kai/Redub Treatment?

Post by DHM211 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:05 am

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:Just thought I'd throw this question out there... Does anyone think that, at some point, either during the dubbing of Kai or after all the boxsets are released, that FUNi will redub both the movies and 2 t.v. specials with the new voice cast?

I ask this because it seems a little weird that they'd dub the show the way they're currently doing so, but not the movies and specials. It feels awkward seeing some Kai eps., followed by one of the movies that had the original FUNi voice group.

Obviously, Kai is proving to be a hit as it moves towards the new generation. But what's gonna happen to the new generation of fans when they get their hands on the movies and specials? It'll possibly confuse them all and create quite the comotion.

Any thoughts/opinions?
I don't think so, because FUNi wouldn't waste any money redubbing the movies because, unlike the majority of the TV series, the movies have a pretty good script. Plus, characters like Goku, Vegeta, Krillen, and Trunks sound like they do in Kai. If you want all the Kai voices and script, get the 2010 uncut Dragon Ball movie 1. Hope I helped.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:44 am

However, there are some which would be appreciated by a new dub.

I tried watching the Bardock special dubbed just yesterday and good god it was terrible! About as bad as the 1999 dub.

If Funimation were to redub any of the movies or specials, Bardock's one dearly needs it. The rest are fine as they are.
Last edited by Gonstead on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Kuririn Of Orin

Post by Kuririn Of Orin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:32 am

I hope so, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I'd rather them go back and do Z personally anyway, but I know it won't happen. And besides, the cast for the movies doesn't vary that much from the English Kai cast. I don't find it that apparent, except in movie 9 where Gohan plays a large part in the story, him being the main character and all. The new generation of fans won't be dumb I'm sure, they'll figure out things for themselves.

They've already dubbed the movies once and I doubt they'll waste money to dub them again.
That awkward moment when you accidentally make the of in your username start with a capital O.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:37 am

Kuririn Of Orin wrote:They've already dubbed the movies once and I doubt they'll waste money to dub them again.
Indeed.

I even noticed in the Bardock special on the double feature that they added new dialogue that wasn't present in the single release.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

Kuririn Of Orin

Post by Kuririn Of Orin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:10 am

Ehh? I didn't get any of the double feature sets so I wouldn't know.
That awkward moment when you accidentally make the of in your username start with a capital O.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:18 am

Kuririn Of Orin wrote:Ehh? I didn't get any of the double feature sets so I wouldn't know.
One example is after a soldier claims "Yeah! Long live lord Frieza!" where in the original nobody said anything as Frieza appeared but on the double features there are a multitude of soldiers yelling out with a bunch of hoorays and woohoo's.

There are others like "Don't let him reach the ship!" and "Hold him down!" which were added when Bardock was flying towards the ship.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:40 am

Actually, i own Bardock Special single DVD, and there are these soldier dialogues as well.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:21 pm

coola wrote:Actually, i own Bardock Special single DVD, and there are these soldier dialogues as well.
This clip proves otherwise - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnN6hjjNigk

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:19 pm

DHM211 wrote:I don't think so, because FUNi wouldn't waste any money redubbing the movies because, unlike the majority of the TV series, the movies have a pretty good script. Plus, characters like Goku, Vegeta, Krillen, and Trunks sound like they do in Kai. If you want all the Kai voices and script, get the 2010 uncut Dragon Ball movie 1. Hope I helped.
Schemmel in a Z film pronounced "KAIOH-KEN" as "Keioken".

So if FUNimation's up to redub, they should.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Since FUNimation redubbed the first DB movie with the Kai cast a redub of the other DB/DBZ movies with the Kai cast might actually be in the works.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:32 pm

superrayman3 wrote:Since FUNimation redubbed the first DB movie with the Kai cast a redub of the other DB/DBZ movies with the Kai cast might actually be in the works.
The only reason they did that was because the old dub was edited and wouldn't sync with the uncut footage.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:49 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Schemmel in a Z film pronounced "KAIOH-KEN" as "Keioken".
Because the movies are connected to Z's Kay-o-ken, not Kai's Kai-o-ken.

It's a consistency thing.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:08 pm

The first three movies already have excellent dubs.

I'm talking about the Ocean cast version, of course.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:38 pm

Didn't the Funi redub more or less borrow the old scripts wholesale though?

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:49 pm

penguintruth wrote:The first three movies already have excellent dubs.

Yes, when it comes to the first 3 movies, I have to go with the Ocean dubs. The redubs just don't feel right--even with the Kikuchi music. . .there just something lacking in them. Nevermind how they butchered movie 3 with a combination of the edited script with the uncut. Or any changes they made at all is rather mind-blogging. But, I suppose these movies were dubbed under the old Funi Z days(most likely the tail-end of them).
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/auNXDruqEb
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Ultimate International Edtion + Super: Ultra Instinct Cut http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 07#p491107

Kuririn Of Orin

Post by Kuririn Of Orin » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:13 am

penguintruth wrote:The first three movies already have excellent dubs.

I believe you mean HAD excellent dubs. The Ocean singles for those movies are dead, they're no longer in print.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:30 am

Kuririn Of Orin wrote:I believe you mean HAD excellent dubs. The Ocean singles for those movies are dead, they're no longer in print.
But they're still very affordable at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Movie ... 434&sr=8-1

Damn it, it goes from 1.68€ to 11.40€ (import) due to the shipping. Maybe I'll find this cheaper on eBay.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kuririn Of Orin

Post by Kuririn Of Orin » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:25 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:But they're still very affordable at Amazon.com
Oh you know what I mean. xP They're deffinitely not as out in the open as they were. One thing that interest me is that on Amazon it said you could get them new, I was sure they weren't in print anymore. Guess I should have verified that. :roll:

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:30 am

I can still find the old Ocean Dub movies in some video rental stores surprisingly.

Someday though I'd like to track down the laserdisc releases of the Ocean Dub movies.