The Anti-Dragonball Z Kai Dub Video Rebuttal

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Re: The Anti-Dragonball Z Kai Dub Video Rebuttal

Post by GotenDaisuki » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:51 am

I personally love the English dub with Yamamoto music.
But I feel the Japanese version was inferior to the Z version, and the other way around for the English dub. Why is it you prefer the Japanese Kai?
So mondo lame.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:19 am

That video was great. Oh god, I had forgotten how bad the FUNi Z dub was when watching this, these girls clearly haven't seen Kai properly. It still baffles me how people can prefer it to what we got in the Kai dub, nostalgia sure can seriously blind someone. :lol: But I did love the bits where Trololo played during the long filler and cursing sequences.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:18 am

BluezaBladeNZ wrote:That video was great. Oh god, I had forgotten how bad the FUNi Z dub was when watching this, these girls clearly haven't seen Kai properly. It still baffles me how people can prefer it to what we got in the Kai dub, nostalgia sure can seriously blind someone. :lol: But I did love the bits where Trololo played during the long filler and cursing sequences.
They haven't seen DBZ properly is more appropriate.

Quote: "this wasn't in the original DBZ" herp derp that's not the original DBZ but FUNimation's rewritten script which made it a totally different version than the original.

Instead of complaining they should've seen the original DBZ subtitled in English.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:39 am

"Who cares about the Japanese version..."
What? Why? The...how? :?

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Victorious wrote:I don't care much for the Funi dub version of Kai, but I do love the Japanese Kai with Yamamoto's score.
The Japanese cast in Kai just does not interest me at all. I don't know what it is, but it just seems like it's missing something. Can't really put my finger on it. If I want to hear the japanese voices, I have to go with Original Z. Although, I wonder if Funimation had done Z right the first time, how the Kai dub would stack up, and/or if I would have the same reaction I do to Japanese Kai.
GotenDaisuki wrote:I personally love the English dub with Yamamoto music.
But I feel the Japanese version was inferior to the Z version, and the other way around for the Kai dub
Yep. Same here.
BluezaBladeNZ wrote:That video was great. Oh god, I had forgotten how bad the FUNi Z dub was when watching this, these girls clearly haven't seen Kai properly. It still baffles me how people can prefer it to what we got in the Kai dub, nostalgia sure can seriously blind someone. :lol: But I did love the bits where Trololo played during the long filler and cursing sequences.
Yeah, it was fun pulling those season 3 clips--especially since it's been a long, LONG time since I've ever really had to view the funi season 3 dub. There's still SO much I didn't put in the video(that's no exaggeration). I honestly think I might have to make a sequel/spinoff to this sometime based around just how weird the original scripts were in comparison or something. Could be really fun.

And yeah, I don't get how people, even when given direct comparisons, can still vouch for Z being better than Kai. It's just pure, unadulterated madness.
dbboxkaifan wrote:They haven't seen DBZ properly is more appropriate.

Quote: "this wasn't in the original DBZ" herp derp that's not the original DBZ but FUNimation's rewritten script which made it a totally different version than the original.

Instead of complaining they should've seen the original DBZ subtitled in English.
Yeah, it's funny how many people don't even think about that. People don't give much thought to the actual origins or intentions of the series, but just what they saw first, hence "original." Pretty silly.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:"Who cares about the Japanese version..."
What? Why? The...how? :?
This is where you pull out the Captain Picard facepalm. Some statements are just beyond reproach with words.
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/auNXDruqEb
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Ultimate International Edtion + Super: Ultra Instinct Cut http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 07#p491107

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:25 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:They haven't seen DBZ properly is more appropriate.

Especially that, considering they refer to the FUNi Z dub as the 'original'.

Forgot to include but when they said 'Who cares about the japanese version?', I was in utter shock, :o but I loved the clip of Majin Vegeta being played right after.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Oh, can I just add that when I hear people refer to the in-house Funimation dub as the "original" I go fuckin' insane.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:57 pm

People should really stop bitching about other versions of stuff and appreciate where it originally came from. The case NOT being the FUNimation dub, but the Japanese version.

Actually.... Screw it, I wanna see more people bitch about Kai in the style of this video. :lol:
So mondo lame.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:03 am

GotenDaisuki wrote:People should really stop bitching about other versions of stuff and appreciate where it originally came from. The case NOT being the FUNimation dub, but the Japanese version.

Actually.... Screw it, I wanna see more people bitch about Kai in the style of this video. :lol:
Yeah, the Kai rants are pretty funny.

You guys should check out that one where a guy rants about DBZ Kai not having Bruce Faulfur's music.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:03 am

This thread is why I LOVE these forums. As a guy who started with the Manga, it's like I found my home away from home as a DB fan.

And I HATE IT when dub fans refer to FUNi's dub or even Ocean's as the "original." As they were to disregard the original Japanese version entirely.

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Lol--just got informed a few minutes ago that the girls who posted that video removed it this morning. I guess the heat was too much, so they had to get out of the kitchen. Seems like a complete overreaction, but whatever. Tickles me silly, though. I somehow fell like I unintentionally trolled them. I was actually interested to seeing them respond, but I guess when opinions get challenged, some people just decide to back down.
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Ultimate International Edtion + Super: Ultra Instinct Cut http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 07#p491107

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Stupid YouTube Troll wrote:kia sucks so bad compared to the original.. i miss the awesome guitar intro and all the useless content that were just so random lol.and the voices
Kia...

He hates Kia's surprises so much. x_x

Source: http://youtu.be/O0dZfmdQNtY
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:27 pm

I think the whole "lol youtube comments are so dumb" schtick is getting a little out-of-hand, folks. That's not what this community is about.

As for the video linked in the initial thread, I've gotta be honest -- I couldn't sit through it. I didn't find it interesting or funny in any way. It seemed very sloppy, and difficult to follow. I think something with that concept needed waaaaay slicker editing and shorter cuts to be effective (then again, everyone else seems to be digging it, so what do I know? ^_~).

I picture things like little "ding" sounds and sliding text... just motion graphics in general to highlight certain aspects. I'm watching this part right now where it's just a bunch of girls talking (I guess it's the video being "responded to"?), and Bulma's just lip-flapping away -- I don't understand what's going on here at all. In that particular area, maybe you could take a quick quote and literally just write out a quick sentence or two of what they're saying (a la Japanese variety shows where they write what the person's saying, usually when it's a pun), and then cut away to an example that highlights or clashes with that statement?

I dunno. The whole thing just goes on and on and on and I just can't stick with it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:43 am

VegettoEX wrote:As for the video linked in the initial thread, I've gotta be honest -- I couldn't sit through it. I didn't find it interesting or funny in any way. It seemed very sloppy, and difficult to follow. I think something with that concept needed waaaaay slicker editing and shorter cuts to be effective (then again, everyone else seems to be digging it, so what do I know? ^_~).

I picture things like little "ding" sounds and sliding text... just motion graphics in general to highlight certain aspects. I'm watching this part right now where it's just a bunch of girls talking (I guess it's the video being "responded to"?), and Bulma's just lip-flapping away -- I don't understand what's going on here at all. In that particular area, maybe you could take a quick quote and literally just write out a quick sentence or two of what they're saying (a la Japanese variety shows where they write what the person's saying, usually when it's a pun), and then cut away to an example that highlights or clashes with that statement?

I dunno. The whole thing just goes on and on and on and I just can't stick with it.
Don't worry--no offense taken here, Mike! As an aspiring fiction writer(who just happens to love this humble little franchise more than it is certainly healthy), I'm pretty thick-skinned when it comes to criticism at this point(it goes with the territory), so it's going to take a lot more than honest criticism to ruffle my feathers.

Anyways, I guess to answer your questions--the video does have a bit of a slow start, as there weren't any direct comparisons(which in hindsight, I should have done a more direct McCoy/Colleen 18 comparison), but my thinking on that was I suppose the idea of "You gotta set'em up before you can knock'em down." Although the video itself was certainly done in a very freestyle-esque way. I was partly making it up as I went along, though the main goal was to let the Z/Kai footage speak for itself as the response for the girl's comments in the vein of what you could call "silent" jokes. Like taking the Bulma segment. One of them claim that Monica Riai is awful, so after playing a clip of Riai, the same girl comments how "annoying and awful" she is, so I played a string of Vollumer's Bulma to "disprove" this. . .though that means the audience has to make that deduction and pick up on the irony. Granted, I do think I understand why you might have found it a bit difficult to follow at that point since there wasn't really a stark and direct contrast going on at that point, and that's asking a lot from a viewer without some sort of onscreen indicator, as you mentioned. But also no visual/audio cue that this is supposed to be taken in a joke manner.

And yeah, the video certainly has some editing gaffs. My computer can barely run Adobe or Pinnacle for whatever reason(so I can't afford any fancy editing tricks :( ), so to make it, I had to use the same mpeg2 video editor I use for creating the scores for my Music Revival Selection project. While it's absolutely wonderful and simple for that, it doesn't work to well with h.264 for some of my Kai blu ray clips(Which I had to cut out separately using VideoRedo). Not to mention I had to manually synch the audio to an mp3 of the main audio over the finalized video because windows movie maker wouldn't recognize it--which causes some out of synchness later on. All in all, it's no editor's master piece, but the content of the video was what was the more important factor for me.

Though, after going through those technical difficulties, if I make another video in a similar vein, I will certainly be looking to improve the overall quality(and find a decent editing program that can do some fancy tricks). Plus, I'd also want to be more focused instead of being scattered all over the place(though, to be fair, it was meant to be a response).

Either way, I appreciate well-founded criticism just as much as a compliment. If you're interested, I suppose I could KAI-I-FY(you know, get rid of the FILLER) the video for you into the couple of segments below that might give you a better idea of the more positive general response. Not that you have to. :lol:

(Script comparisons 6:09 - 9:51)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... q9E#t=368s

(Season 3 Benny Hill Collage 9:52-15:42)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... q9E#t=592s

(Vegeta voice comparison + Kai is for kids! 21:57-24:32)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 9E#t=1317s

Though, ironically enough, right before I sat down to write this, I got a comment on the video saying,
The editing here is amazing. I feel like I'm watching a behind the scenes thing from a DVD.
I think that's a great way to describe what I was sorta going for, but considering he thinks the editing was excellent, I'm not sure what to think now! You tell me one thing, he tells me another? What's a poor schmuck like me suppose to make of that? :lol:

But, I digress.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:44 pm

I think the editing was decent (if it wasn't for that damn off-sync audio it would have been better) but what he said was a little too much. XD
I don't find it DVD Extra material. It's not THAT good. :lol:
So mondo lame.

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:56 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:I think the editing was decent (if it wasn't for that damn off-sync audio it would have been better) but what he said was a little too much. XD
I don't find it DVD Extra material. It's not THAT good. :lol:
Certainly not. :lol: I think some people just get a little too carried away with praise sometimes(on youtube in general). I guess what the guy was implying was that I had silent video playing when the girls were talking between the breaks of scenes and stuff. That did give it a bit of that feel I guess, but yeah, I wasn't trying to make a masterpiece to begin with. Especially since I can say I've never tried to edit a video together like that before. Either way, I do hope to do better in the future.

EDIT* And yeah, that off-synch audio sucks.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Speaking of "doing better in the future", is there another rant just as good as the one you used to mock in another video?
So mondo lame.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:32 am

Honestly, with Vegetto almost 100%. Many of the folks that frequent this website can run informational circles around the rest of the fanbase- a fanbase that often has no clue what it's talking about because so much of it is casual (Read, no desire to learn specifics beyond what one knows) and based on nostalgia (Read, no recent activity with the franchise and based on memory of their original intake of the series). We get it.
saiyanprimalforce wrote:Lol--just got informed a few minutes ago that the girls who posted that video removed it this morning. I guess the heat was too much, so they had to get out of the kitchen.
:?
dbboxkaifan wrote:
Stupid YouTube Troll wrote:kia sucks so bad compared to the original.. i miss the awesome guitar intro and all the useless content that were just so random lol.and the voices
Kia...

He hates Kia's surprises so much. x_x

Source: http://youtu.be/O0dZfmdQNtY
Surprised this hasn't become a Kai-related meme.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:26 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
saiyanprimalforce wrote:Lol--just got informed a few minutes ago that the girls who posted that video removed it this morning. I guess the heat was too much, so they had to get out of the kitchen.
:?
Don't really know what the confused face is for. I found it amusing they took down there video over such a little amount of criticism and comments. My "can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" comment was mostly sarcasm. That "heat" amounted to people who watched my vid leaving a comment on theirs(a few from this very community, actually) that wasn't nasty or vulgar, so it just seems like such an over-the-top reaction. Not that I really care either way--it was just rather amusing at that moment in time.
GotenDaisuki wrote:Speaking of "doing better in the future", is there another rant just as good as the one you used to mock in another video?
I actually had a couple more I thought I was going to use, but since theirs gave me pretty much all I needed to work with--there was really no point in using them. Plus, I'll give them credit that they were somewhat entertaining to listen to. The other two just amount to a couple guys whining randomly in microphones. But even with that, I think I've pretty much done all I wanted to do as far as doing a video response. What I liked most out of the experience was the direct comparisons between the old Funi Dub and Kai. . .so whatever it is I'll do next, it might lean more toward the critical/analysis side of things, and maybe not necessary within just Kai boundaries.

But yeah, just shooting the bull here--I got enough to keep me busy as it is. :lol: