Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Insertclevername wrote: I agree with you on the first point, the dub is ok, nothing to the original, but ok none the less. Maybe it might be rose tinted glasses I'm seeing through.... :)

Also, I don't mind Broli for what he was, but it's his over saturation in fan and game stuff that really rubbed me wrong with him in recent years. And his fanboys too... :P
Oh I won't deny that part of my love for the dub is nostalgia, but I for one don't think that nostalgia (in of itself anyway) is a bad thing. So long as you're not blinded by it, then it's a perfectly legit reason to like something if you ask me.

And heck, there's lots of it that I will not defend under any circumstance...lots of season 3 stuff for example. :P

Yeah, which is why I honestly don't pay Broly much mind anymore, his underlying fandom has all but ruined him in some ways for me.

Ah, and I did think of another unpopular opinion - I actually like Pan in GT quite a bit, she's probably another of my favorite characters. A lot of the stuff she gets hated on for boggles me because, you could levy the same complaints at like...EVERY other female Dragon Ball character, sadly. I find her charming.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:14 pm

-DBZ Movie 11 is one of the best DBZ movies, realy liked that old sci-fi movies vibe (Only thing i didnt like, was death of dogs :( )
-Garlic Jr. saga is fun, i liked fights and it`s story.
-English dub of Kai is much better then original Japanese one (Kai)

Sorry, i fixed my post :oops:
Last edited by coola on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:21 pm

coola wrote:-DBZ Movie 11 is one of the best DBZ movies, realy liked that old sci-fi movies vibe (Only thing i didnt like, was death of dogs :( )
-Garlic Jr. saga is fun, i liked fights and it`s story.
-English dub of Kai is much better then original Japanese one
Yes, that is definitely an unpopular opinion. Good, much better than the first FUNi dub, but better than the original? :|

Another one of my unpopular opinions is that the Boo arc is my favorite part of all of Dragon Ball.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Let's see...

I don't like Vegeta much. He spends most of the series as a whiny bitch. Not a huge Gohan fan either, at least as a kid. But I like Chaozu.

I love the Red Ribbon Army arc, even in the anime. I especially enjoy the Muscle Tower portion.

I prefer the Dragon Ball anime to Dragon Ball Z. But in particular, I think Toriyama's story peaked with Freeza, and it all went downhill after that.

I kind of liked the early GT space adventures. But I find the Evil Dragon arc almost unwatchable.

I don't hate DBZ Movie 4. In fact, I don't think I have any complaints about it.

I hate the 10th anniversary movie. It was a boring remake of DB Movie 1, with the villain replaced by a bastardized Red Ribbon Army. I don't like the ultra shiny art style, or the new character designs (yes, I know they're Toriyama's designs). The background music sucks too (no, I didn't like it in GT either), and I didn't care for most of the replacement actors. The only positive trait the movie had was Dan Dan as the theme.

I think We Gotta Power is a better song than Cha-La Head-Cha-La.

I guess I have lots of unusual (and possibly unique?) name preferences, because I'm a really strict consistency nut, so everything has to match a specific pattern. "Blooma" seems to be gaining enough support that I actually feel comfortable using it here now, but some others that seem unpopular: "Jiaozi," "Taobaibai," "Cacarrot," "Veget" (the fusion guy, AKA the strongest candy in the universe), "Namekku"... The introduction of Tarble has also made me consider switching to "Vegeeta," but I'm still undecided on that.

And finally: Dragon Ball Kai sucks.
-Rachel

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Rach, in a weird, Dragon Ball-ish way... you complete me. :P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:41 pm

I enjoy the Funimation dub of Kai and I think they did a nice job on it. I think some fans didn't like it because "It's not the same voices I grew up with" :roll: . With this dub, we finally get a dub that tries to stay close to the Japanese script from what I've seen.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I enjoy the Funimation dub of Kai and I think they did a nice job on it. I think some fans didn't like it because "It's not the same voices I grew up with" :roll: . With this dub, we finally get a dub that tries to stay close to the Japanese script from what I've seen.
That's not an unpopular opinion. That's a fact :lol:
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:34 pm

I always prefer the english dub over the japanese dub.

My favorite arc is the the RR army saga (both anime and manga).

I think Dragon Ball is superior to Z and GT.

I think the Garlic Jr. saga wasn't that bad.

Hated the Buu saga the first time I saw it (almost killed DB for me).

And I would like to see a new series, spin-off, or continuation to Z or GT.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:50 pm

FNF wrote: That's not an unpopular opinion. That's a fact :lol:
I know but most places that I go on dislike the Kai dub. I think you take off the nostalgia goggles and you noticed that the old Funimation dub is not very good at all. I personally never seen anyone like the old dub other then they grow up with it or they like how cheesy it was.
Scarz wrote: And I would like to see a new series, spin-off, or continuation to Z or GT.
Your not alone since I still like to see another series. Yeah GT sucked but that was 15 years ago and things have changed since then. People won't likely watch if they end up putting a SSj5 but I think if another series was made then we will likely see a SSj5 due to that the fact having a brand new SSj transformation would help sell the series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:52 pm

I also really enjoyed the Bio-Broly movie for the same reasons as you.
I actually really liked the Taiwanese Dragon Ball movie. It was really fun and captured the spirit of Dragon Ball.
I really hate the new artwork they use to promote the series.
I prefer the comic to the cartoon.
I prefer the original series to Z. I loved pretty much all the filler in it.
The third DB movie was the best DB-related movie.
I don't really care about battle powers and which character is stronger than which.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:22 pm

-I'm a big fan of Funimation's History of Trunks dub with the edited music. I love it so much because they used a lot of music from Dream Theater's Scenes From a Memory; I discovered that band though Funimation's dub and they have since been one of my favorite bands of all time.

-I like (newer) Sean Schemmel over Masako Nozawa's Goku. I don't care about Goku being played by a girl or anything but it's that damn Crackle thing she does when Goku is supposed to be struggling or in pain. Honestly that's the only reason I don't like her.

Those are probably the only two things I can think of that would be seen as unpopular by a majority of Kanzenshuu(almost said Daizex :wink:)
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:14 am

* The Funi dub is better than the original anime
* The only good thing to come out of Kai was the improved dub
* The Boo arc was the best arc
* There's no problem with people (most specifically the androids) being stronger than Freeza
* I don't mind the humans/Piccolo falling behind
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:48 am

I'm not a huge Vegeta fan. I find a lot of his behavior frustrating and whiny. I get frustrated when people act as if he somehow got shortchanged.

I like the Otherworld Tenkaichi, although mostly just for the Goku/Paikuhan fight.

Despite not having watched the Funi dub in years, when I used to, I thought Movie 4's soundtrack was cool.

I like Cell saga more than Freeza saga.

I don't feel it should have ended after Freeza saga.

I don't mind Broly as a villain.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:49 am

Oh, I forgot another one: I like movie 4 and like the soundtrack for it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:11 am

Cell is the greatest villain in the entire series and needed to have a movie or sub-series devoted to his character.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:22 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:-I'm a big fan of Funimation's History of Trunks dub with the edited music. I love it so much because they used a lot of music from Dream Theater's Scenes From a Memory; I discovered that band though Funimation's dub and they have since been one of my favorite bands of all time.

-I like (newer) Sean Schemmel over Masako Nozawa's Goku. I don't care about Goku being played by a girl or anything but it's that damn Crackle thing she does when Goku is supposed to be struggling or in pain. Honestly that's the only reason I don't like her.

Those are probably the only two things I can think of that would be seen as unpopular by a majority of Kanzenshuu(almost said Daizex :wink:)
Ditto! Dream Theater was perfect for Trunks back story!

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:36 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Does anyone have any particularly unpopular opinions about Dragon Ball? I'll start off.

I actually liked DBZ Movie #11, which seems to be looked down upon unfavourably as the worst DBZ movie. Out of the 13 DBZ movies, it's my fifth favourite. Despite the fact that people dislike it for bringing back Broli yet again for a third movie appearance, Bio-Broli didn't appear to have any semblance of the previous Legendary Super Saiyan, so the only relation that you could argue between the two characters was the name.

It did have quite a B-movie plot, but I like seeing stuff like that intertwined with the DB world, giving it new twists from the characters and techniques (like how Trunks' story in the Cell arc was practically a Terminator rip-off, but took it further by adding a special DB touch, including the Androids and Cell). And at least the finale's better than another Genki-Dama (seriously, three movies used that finisher, and I'm not even counting #7) or the Toei Punch.

Furthermore, there was no Gokuu, Gohan, Vegeta or Piccolo here; it gave the underdogs, Goten, Gohan, Kuririn, #18 and Mr. Satan the spotlight for once. I also liked the simplistic yet somewhat amusing designs of the Bio-Warriors.
DBZ Movie #11 always had a kinda Toriyama feel to me. The fact that the whole ordeal was about Mr. Satan pissin' himself was hilarious.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:42 am

Vegeta vs. #18 was way better of a fight than Piccolo Vs. #17. The street scenery, the broken arm, #18 throwing Vegeta onto Trunks, etc. are all classic moments.

Also, Gohan is my favourite character, but I felt Toriyama did the right thing by having him lose to Buu. Having Gohan get a free power up to win is cheap and lame.
Piccolo Daimao wrote:Does anyone have any particularly unpopular opinions about Dragon Ball? I'll start off.

I actually liked DBZ Movie #11, which seems to be looked down upon unfavourably as the worst DBZ movie. Out of the 13 DBZ movies, it's my fifth favourite. Despite the fact that people dislike it for bringing back Broli yet again for a third movie appearance, Bio-Broli didn't appear to have any semblance of the previous Legendary Super Saiyan, so the only relation that you could argue between the two characters was the name.

It did have quite a B-movie plot, but I like seeing stuff like that intertwined with the DB world, giving it new twists from the characters and techniques (like how Trunks' story in the Cell arc was practically a Terminator rip-off, but took it further by adding a special DB touch, including the Androids and Cell). And at least the finale's better than another Genki-Dama (seriously, three movies used that finisher, and I'm not even counting #7) or the Toei Punch.

Furthermore, there was no Gokuu, Gohan, Vegeta or Piccolo here; it gave the underdogs, Goten, Gohan, Kuririn, #18 and Mr. Satan the spotlight for once. I also liked the simplistic yet somewhat amusing designs of the Bio-Warriors.
#11 is one of my favourites as well.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

saiyanprimalforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by saiyanprimalforce » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:49 am

Saiga wrote:The only good thing to come out of Kai was the improved dub
I don't see how that's an unpopular opinion. I think that's the general consensus around here(well, for those that care about Kai's dub, anyway).
Kingdom Heartless wrote: I like Cell saga more than Freeza saga.
Again, it seems to be reversed. Generally speaking, the Cell/Android saga is where the story *peaked* in popularity, both in Japan and the U.S. I think this is also one of the reasons Kai went to only the Cell saga, as Kai was advertised as a 20th anniversary celebration of Z. . .even though it's also advertised as being "true" to a manga. But yeah, the androids/cell is pretty much considered the mass populace's favorite arc.
Kid Buu wrote:Vegeta vs. #18 was way better of a fight than Piccolo Vs. #17. The street scenery, the broken arm, #18 throwing Vegeta onto Trunks, etc. are all classic moments.
Eh, I never cared too much about the high-way filler portion of the Vegeta vs 18 fight in Z. Not to mention that episode got the short end of the stick animation-wise(not one of the best animated, I mean). Though, Kai certainly made the fight more enjoyable to me. . .I still have to go with the Piccolo vs 17 fight. It's just so much more physical, beating the shit out of the other guy kind of thing.
Official Discord Server: https://discord.gg/auNXDruqEb
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Ultimate International Edtion + Super: Ultra Instinct Cut http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 07#p491107

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:02 am

Oh, I don't care for DBZ Movie 9. I feel it's extremely overrated and I don't know why. It might be Bojack, I dunno, but as much as I want to like this movie, I feel it doesn't have as much replay value as the others do.
My obligatory movie ratings are:
- #17: Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle
- #16: Broly: Second Coming
- #15: Mystical Adventure
- #14: Bio Broly
- #13: Bojack Unbound
- #12: Lord Slug
- #11: Super Android 13
- #10: World's Strongest
- #9: Tree of Might
- #8: Dead Zone
- #7: Curse of the Blood Rubies
- #6: Fusion Reborn
- #5: Wrath of the Dragon
- #4: Return of Cooler
- #3: Broly the Legendary Super Saiyan
- #2: Cooler's Revenge
- #1: Path to Power

Yeah, I used Funimation's English dub titles. I'm sorry I can't be bothered typing out: Clash!! 10,000,000,000 Powerful Warriors
I have the folks at Kanzenshuu for that. :wink: