DBZ Orange Bricks being separated into parts

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DBZ Orange Bricks being separated into parts

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:43 am

funrush wrote:I think so. They do this a lot with their DVD's when they combine sets together. Except this time they're splitting them.
That'd be weird, as they already combined them. :?:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
funrush wrote:I think so. They do this a lot with their DVD's when they combine sets together. Except this time they're splitting them.
Yeah, I think it's just a money grab for Walmart. I wonder, YamiAtomsk, did they still have those double Season sets there? Like Seasons 1 and 2 in one package?

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:41 pm

funrush wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
funrush wrote:It's just Walmart grabbing money. Instead of taking $20 for a set, they're trying to trick consumers into $30 by making them buy parts.
Are these Walmart exclusives?
I think so. They do this a lot with their DVD's when they combine sets together. Except this time they're splitting them.
It isn't 'tricking' consumers.

A large group of consumers has changed their purchasing habits as it relates to media.

A good number of people only spend more than 20 if it's for a specialty release that they want. This is an attempt to keep these shows on the shelves, but make them attractive to this specific group, who literally will ignore that a set has dozens of episodes on a stack of disks for '20 or 25', but has no issue with a much smaller set that is '15'.

And the price on Amazon just doesn't matter to the type on consumer who would wander in and just 'find' DBZ on the shelf. They are either going 'ohh, DBZ' and picking it up right then. They aren't going 'ohh... DBZ... let's go see if I can get it cheaper' they are getting it right then, or likely never.

15 is less than 20, and to some people, that 5 dollars is the difference between a nice gift for a kid, and a gift 5 dollars out of their budget.

This release is meant to be a discount release, the way they discount it is providing less content in the releases.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:34 pm

I think they are just doing this so that they can milk the orange bricks even more. How much longer can you milk the same thing?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:33 pm

I like this new package and Goku's design looks a bit different from the original OB release.

The quality's shit for the early "seasons" but working around the settings on the TV might work, so it'd be a passable version to buy & watch.

Q: Which DBZ release is available and cheap? Orange Bricks.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:38 pm

You can't bring back the missing footage by messing with your TV.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:40 pm

I don't think people buying the OBs really care. Average consumers just wanting the show for cheap won't know the difference between a Dragon Box or an Orange Brick, and if it's cheaper, they'll settle for the crappier product. Not to mention the Orange Bricks are once again the only way to collect the entire series.
So mondo lame.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:44 pm

This footage has got be Funimation's greatest return on investment outside of the original DBZ license. :lol:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:50 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:I don't think people buying the OBs really care. Average consumers just wanting the show for cheap won't know the difference between a Dragon Box or an Orange Brick, and if it's cheaper, they'll settle for the crappier product. Not to mention the Orange Bricks are once again the only way to collect the entire series.
So why would they mess with their TV at all?

YamiAtomsk

Post by YamiAtomsk » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:29 pm

funrush wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Yeah, I think it's just a money grab for Walmart. I wonder, YamiAtomsk, did they still have those double Season sets there? Like Seasons 1 and 2 in one package?
If I remember correctly, the only other Dragon Ball products there were, the complete GT set and 2 or 3 different Kai sets.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:47 pm

How does the side look? the back? the inside? anyone pick this up? Is there a review of this anywhere?
I may purchase this just because i hate DVD box sets. I prefer DVD case sets.
One World. 🌐 🕊

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Saw season 1 part's 1&2 side by side at walmart the other day and I was like are you for real, this is ridiculous I mean it's just the orange birck footage for gods sake in all it's cropped up, oversaturated glory, would it really've killed FUNimation to release the show in it's original 4:3 AR for once, or better yet why not release the DBOX footage as part sets instead? If they did that then I'd pay but for a re-release of the OB's no thank you.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:50 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:How does the side look? the back? the inside? anyone pick this up? Is there a review of this anywhere?
Yeah, I was wondering if it was in a regular DVD case. It kind of looks like a slim case, but I may be wrong.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:07 pm

funrush wrote:
PhoenixEX wrote:How does the side look? the back? the inside? anyone pick this up? Is there a review of this anywhere?
Yeah, I was wondering if it was in a regular DVD case. It kind of looks like a slim case, but I may be wrong.
I can tell by looking at it that it's the same type as the One Piece collections.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZpSSnaJnRU
While you won't be able to see what the art looks like, you can see what the actual case does.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:53 am

Why isn't Amazon selling these sets on their website? There's always some people who'd prefer this over the boxed/card version instead.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:43 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Why isn't Amazon selling these sets on their website? There's always some people who'd prefer this over the boxed/card version instead.
I assume it's done by Wal-Mart, since they were also the only ones to sell the two-in-one orange bricks.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:25 am

That's most definitely a Wal-Mart exclusive, as I've seen this done with other TV shows with full seasons split into parts, such as Futurama.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:00 am

GotenDaisuki wrote:I don't think people buying the OBs really care. Average consumers just wanting the show for cheap won't know the difference between a Dragon Box or an Orange Brick, and if it's cheaper, they'll settle for the crappier product. Not to mention the Orange Bricks are once again the only way to collect the entire series.
Like they have choice, as Dragon Box was limited and now the OB's are the only choice to get the full series.
You can buy OB's or get DBox from torrent :lol:

But yeah, people don't care and lot of them even don't know about the Dragon Box.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:55 am

I've got:

The old Pioneer singles
Orange bricks
Dboxes [US version]
Kai
the Blurays

...and for half a second I actually pondered buying those for the cover art alone. Are they those thin cases or just like 2 discs in a regular case or something?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:59 am

MCDaveG wrote:Like they have choice, as Dragon Box was limited and now the OB's are the only choice to get the full series.
You can buy OB's or get DBox from torrent :lol:

But yeah, people don't care and lot of them even don't know about the Dragon Box.
I've keep forgetting but there's still another DVD collection in English available, it's the 276 episode cut edition with FUNi's old dub and Japanese audio (I think).

But why on earth would a casual viewer go out and buy the singles and censored when the uncut version is available (OBs), though the quality is mediocre.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray