Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:12 am

While I agree with that sentiment in general, the whole "1%" thing is a FUNimationism. The original script was never that absurd.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

SuppaSaiyanNerd
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuppaSaiyanNerd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:08 am

3. Filler is canon
2. GT (I personally love it)
1. *deep silence* Evolution...
Last edited by SuppaSaiyanNerd on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokuman1993 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:27 am

MCDaveG wrote:
Nikkolas wrote:Well I see a few "DB > Z" people in here and I'm glad.
You bet, I love the first series the most! Always little sad that Z gets rudiculous overload in everything and everyone goes Z!!! OMG SSJ, Power levels!!!
Well, if majority likes it that much :) At least I have that little much I can get with DB. Just bought one and only wallpaper to my poster collection hanging on my wall.

I'm little perfeccionist, so I'm framing all the posters like regular images
I love you :D

Also, I too pefer the first over "Z"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:28 am

SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:3. *deep silence* Evolution...
No, just no...

You said enough and forever shall everything you say in the future will be considered moot.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SuppaSaiyanNerd
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuppaSaiyanNerd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:32 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
No, just no...

You said enough and forever shall everything you say in the future will be considered moot.
I think there is a misunderstanding here. I meant Evolution is the most hated thing in the whole franchise. Don't let my avatar fool you.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 am

Gokuman1993 wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:
Nikkolas wrote:Well I see a few "DB > Z" people in here and I'm glad.
You bet, I love the first series the most! Always little sad that Z gets rudiculous overload in everything and everyone goes Z!!! OMG SSJ, Power levels!!!
Well, if majority likes it that much :) At least I have that little much I can get with DB. Just bought one and only wallpaper to my poster collection hanging on my wall.

I prefer the first as well...as far as storytelling and characterization goes.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:38 am

SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
No, just no...

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I meant Evolution is the most hated thing in the whole franchise. Don't let my avatar fool you.
Oh sorry. :oops:
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:53 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Gokuman1993 wrote:
MCDaveG wrote: You bet, I love the first series the most! Always little sad that Z gets rudiculous overload in everything and everyone goes Z!!! OMG SSJ, Power levels!!!

I prefer the first as well...as far as storytelling and characterization goes.
Well, it can't be that unpopular an opinion as I feel the same way too. Also, I covet that poster.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:43 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Well, it can't be that unpopular an opinion.
This. I've seen a surprisingly high number of DB fans on the net claim this too. Sure, it doesn't top Z but I wouldn't say it's unpopular either.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Still on the topic of Dragon Ball, I really liked FUNi's dub of it. I consider it a massive improvement from their Z work. I liked Nadolny as Kid Goku and Sabat as King Piccolo and we can't forget Kent Williams as Tao.
Always found it kinda funny Clarke basically used his Imperfect Cell voice for Tambourine. It's not a bad voice though so I didn't mind.

There were script rewrites but they were more akin to the Yu Yu Hakusho treatment where they are localizations to make things more natural while also keeping the character's personality intact.

Overall it's definitely not the best dub out there but it's part of why I love DB to the extent I do.

BrodieK41

Post by BrodieK41 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:32 pm

I don't know if this counts but I would say my feelings towards Evolution. I'm personally indifferent towards the film; I don't hate it, I just see it as a stupid kids movie that just happens to have Dragon Ball in the title. At the end of the day, I don't see as offensive as some have said but it's just a dumb movie I'm gonna forget, it's not going to effect my enjoyment of the series.

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:02 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:While I agree with that sentiment in general, the whole "1%" thing is a FUNimationism. The original script was never that absurd.
I could swear it was in the Japanese version. I haven't watched the dub in nearly 10 years and have strictly watched the Japanese for the last couple of years, so I could only remember seeing it there.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:11 am

SuppaSaiyanNerd wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
No, just no...

Hmm it's definitely not a popular opinion. Yes that is sarcasm. But if you don't mind me asking.. Why have an avatar of the "most hated thing in the whole franchise" ?

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:22 am

1. I never really cared for the Freeza Arc. I don't think it's a bad arc, but for some reason, I find the Freeza Arc to be the least enjoyable of the four arcs in Z. I can't really explain my reasons on this one.

2. I don't really like Kai all that much. I enjoyed it when it first came out, but I eventually concluded to myself that it seemed redundant to be watching Z all over again, but with the filler cut out. To me, if you want to experience the series with no filler, you should just read the manga. Also, I really didn't like the "re-animated" or "touched up" scenes. Admittedly, some of those scenes just look horrible to me. For me, the only good things about Kai were the new openings and endings and the new Funimation dub, even though I hardly watch the dub.

3. I like Movie 11 for basically the same reasons everybody else has posted. I especially liked though how they gave some of the lesser characters in the series the limelight in this movie.

4. I don't mind the Garlic Jr. Arc.

5. I also don't mind GT, though I prefer the earlier portions over the later ones.

6. I also have never really liked Vegeta. Although I like Vegeta in the Saiyan and Freeza Arcs, I feel like he was kept around for the rest of the series only because the fans wanted Toriyama to do so. Although he had his moments in the Cell and Buu Arcs, I feel like he became almost a stereotype of himself by the end of the series. He often would have the upper hand against a villain at first, only to fall flat on his face at the end of his bouts with those villains. Which leads me to 7...

7. Personally, I always thought Piccolo was the superior rival to Goku. When I say this, I don't mean in terms of power, but in terms of interaction with each other. I always found Goku's fights with Piccolo to be more entertaining than Goku's fights with Vegeta.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:25 am

I really don't think disliking Vegeta is an unpopular opinion at all, especially given how many here admit to it. :lol:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:27 am

Saiga wrote:I really don't think disliking Vegeta is an unpopular opinion at all, especially given how many here admit to it. :lol:
Well, this thread certainly seems to be proving that theory. :P

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:48 am

Saiga wrote:I really don't think disliking Vegeta is an unpopular opinion at all, especially given how many here admit to it. :lol:
Agreed, I actually kind of feel sorry for the dude.

Imagine being told your whole life that SSJ was the greatest thing ever, and that it was your right to achieve it. But instead some low-class Saiyan becomes SSJ first, and a teenage android built in a cave is stronger than it. No wonder that dude had pride issues. :lol:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

KakaR0T
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KakaR0T » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:52 am

Not sure if this is a popular opinion or what but I feel that going super saiyan got belittled rather quickly. After Goku went super saiyan, we see Trunks do it with no sweat, next thing you know we see Vegeta go super saiyan, then Gohan, and even little Trunks and Goten. I think too many people were going super saiyan and doing it too easily. I also don't really like how there are different levels of super saiyan.

Super saiyan isn't enough? okay so let's go super saiyan 2. Still not enough? Super saiyan 3. Enough already! Just leave it at super saiyan and that's it.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:25 am

I'm pretty sure that is not only a popular opinion, it's the correct opinion. L)
(J/K)

Although I don't mind Super Saiyan 2 when Gohan did it in the Cell Games.

Which reminds me, while I would prefer DB Part 2/DBZ not exist at all, if it has to be, I would have it end after Cell. Not sure how unpopular that is. I think that was a fine ending for the Saga of Gohan feat. Goku.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:01 am

I didn't mind SSJ2 at all, I took it as power up of classic SSJ, but well, SSJ3 was kinda overkill for me :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88