Worst dub lines ever

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Re: Worst dub lines ever

Post by OzzyApu » Sun May 27, 2012 1:45 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:We really need to make a collection of all of these lines and put them into one video. It'd be awesome, and bad for my poor, little ears.
I'd love it. It's a pain having to sift through youtube clips to find bad lines, or even longer clips with maybe a couple cringe moments. If someone could mush them all in long compilations then that'd be awesome.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun May 27, 2012 2:06 am

I MIGHT be possibly buying a couple boxsets of Season 3 in the near future, so if I get the chance I can probably do one for Season 3.

That, and I could possibly complete the Frieza Saga challenge.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun May 27, 2012 2:45 am

The real man's "Freeza Saga Challenge" is done via the original single DVDs. Plenty of little redubbing done on the season set, especially for extremely minor characters like this. (Posted video is the original dub by the way)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun May 27, 2012 3:47 am

Metalwario64 wrote:The real man's "Freeza Saga Challenge" is done via the original single DVDs. Plenty of little redubbing done on the season set, especially for extremely minor characters like this. (Posted video is the original dub by the way)
That's exactly what I'll be possibly buying :)
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun May 27, 2012 5:46 am

Frieza saga challange... Would that be the the "Season 3" episodes, or the real Frieza saga? And what would you name a game of watching with entire Ocean dub, filling in the gap with the original Funi fub? :P

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun May 27, 2012 9:07 am

Fizzer wrote:Freeza saga challange... Would that be the the "Season 3" episodes, or the real Freeza saga? And what would you name a game of watching with entire Ocean dub, filling in the gap with the original Funi fub? :P
The Frieza Saga portion of the Season 3 dub.

Ocean Dub Marathon? I'd call it a Tsunami.

I remember a pretty bad line from the original Funimation dub (Ocean)

"Nappa, remind me to get you de-flead after we're done here"
"I'm telling you Vegeta, I don't have fleas! I'm just itching for some action!"

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 27, 2012 9:11 am

"Ally to good, nightmare to you!" isn't bad but nor is it Dragon Ball-related, it's more something, Batman, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man or whoever would say it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun May 27, 2012 9:25 am

Technically, he was indeed a nightmare to Frieza XD

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun May 27, 2012 9:31 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:"Ally to good, nightmare to you!" isn't bad but nor is it Dragon Ball-related, it's more something, Batman, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man or whoever would say it.
Any superhero you like.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun May 27, 2012 11:18 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:"Ally to good, nightmare to you!" isn't bad but nor is it Dragon Ball-related, it's more something, Batman, Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man or whoever would say it.
Any superhero you like.
Really just the Superman/Captain America-type superhero. Batman and Iron Man aren't your stereotypical heroes; they're even closer to anti-heroes, since the former has such a skewed moral code and the latter is, well, an asshole.

Gokuu fits into neither of those; he's just a happy-go-lucky martial artist hick who likes to fight and ends up getting tangled up in death-matches for the fate of the planet/universe far too often for his own good.

I think someone already mentioned Gohan's "I'm my father's SOOOOOOON!" in DBZ Movie #9. I remember almost choking with laughter when I heard that, which completely spoiled the tension of the scene.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Drew

Post by Drew » Sun May 27, 2012 11:20 am

"Cats loves food, yeah yeah yeah," is one that always sticks out in my mind.

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sun May 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Gonstead wrote:"Nappa, remind me to get you de-flead after we're done here"
"I'm telling you Vegeta, I don't have fleas! I'm just itching for some action!"
Ugh, that reminds me of the scenes when Freeza is sensed by the crew on Earth and Oolong's eating Bulma's food going "nom nom nom oh man I'm piggin' out" in his corny voice. So bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDnTRO0T ... re=related

I'm pretty sure it's in this clip near the end (I muted it so I wouldn't have to hear it again).

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sun May 27, 2012 5:38 pm

I would love to do a compilation of all the bad and cringeworthy lines as I have all the original singles, but I wouldn't have the time for it.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun May 27, 2012 6:21 pm

BluezaBladeNZ wrote:I would love to do a compilation of all the bad and cringeworthy lines as I have all the original singles, but I wouldn't have the time for it.
Send them to me and I'll gladly do it ^_^

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sun May 27, 2012 6:44 pm

PM sent.

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Mon May 28, 2012 2:03 am

Gonstead wrote:I MIGHT be possibly buying a couple boxsets of Season 3 in the near future, so if I get the chance I can probably do one for Season 3.

That, and I could possibly complete the Freeza Saga challenge.
I own the ("silent fix" re-pressings) of the Season 3 DVD singles. Captain Ginyu, Freeza, and Trunks Saga. All the original music and voices are present. No redubs. I could just loan you the DVDs themselves if you'd like.

Edit: Didn't see that you guys were already having this discussion. Yeah, anyone just free to PM me if you'd like to borrow them.

Edit 2: I own the Pioneer singles for the first three movies and the first two seasons as well.
Last edited by Corporate_Nothing on Mon May 28, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:05 am

Corporate_Nothing wrote:
Gonstead wrote:I MIGHT be possibly buying a couple boxsets of Season 3 in the near future, so if I get the chance I can probably do one for Season 3.

That, and I could possibly complete the Freeza Saga challenge.
I own the ("silent fix" re-pressings) of the Season 3 DVD singles. Captain Ginyu, Freeza, and Trunks Saga. All the original music and voices are present. No redubs. I could just loan you the DVDs themselves if you'd like.

Edit: Didn't see that you guys were already having this discussion. Yeah, anyone just free to PM me if you'd like to borrow them.
Really? I thought that they had Kyle Hebert as the narrator.

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Mon May 28, 2012 2:08 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote: Really? I thought that they had Kyle Hebert as the narrator.
Nope, not for these "sagas" anyway. Dale "monster truck announcer" Kelly is present in all his cheesy glory.
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 28, 2012 2:13 am

"By the power of King Kai" < French DBZ script (They used this line instead of I am the Super Saiyan, Son Goku!! in Z)
"hey freeza *totally emotionless*" < Portuguese dub, there's nothing wrong with "Hey Freeza!" but the voice actor was terrible at shouting and doing a simple line.
"songohanda's ssj2 screams iyaaaaaaaaaaah *emotionless too*" < Spain's dub.

Seriously what the hell was going through those companies to hire crappy VAs who couldn't do a damn decent job.

Son Gohan in the Spanish Spain's dub is Songohanda, like the Portuguese, it's always Songohan, keeping the Son at all times was unnecessary and made the names' a bit too long.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon May 28, 2012 2:15 am

Corporate_Nothing wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote: Really? I thought that they had Kyle Hebert as the narrator.
Nope, not for these "sagas" anyway. Dale "monster truck announcer" Kelly is present in all his cheesy glory.
Not to mention this scene right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=copDFCwqlgY

Starring only 3 voice actors. Take a guess at who voices who.