Favourite DB voice actor

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Favourite DB voice actor

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:52 am

Who's your favourite voice actor that's worked on Dragon Ball? I was just thinking about this in light of Scott McNeil's popularity.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Re: Favourite DB voice actor

Post by dprez » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Peter Kelamis - His performance as Goku in those first three movies, superb.

Masako Nozawa - Her voice is Son Goku.

Mayumi Tanaka - Ok, maybe it's just because she also voices Luffy, perfectly by the way, but her Luffy voice is perfect for the character like Masako's is with Goku. She is amazing. Even now, I can hear her as Kuririn shouting, "Kienzan!"

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:23 pm

Ryo Horikawa as Vegeta, his voice is instantly recognisable and very fitting for the character. I'm up to watching the Majin Boo/Maouji Vegeta part of Z right now and he's just at his best at this point.

OzzyApu
Beyond Newbie

Post by OzzyApu » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:28 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:Ryo Horikawa as Vegeta, his voice is instantly recognisable and very fitting for the character. I'm up to watching the Majin Boo/Maouji Vegeta part of Z right now and he's just at his best at this point.
Agreed. He works wonderfully in any Vegeta situation. Answering for my sister would by Nozawa primarily as little Goku, particularly when he gets hurt or is really surprised. The "ouch ouch ouch" and "whaaaaaaa!" are her favorites, as is little Goku's innocent personality.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Masako Nozawa (mainly for Goku and Bardock, which are memorable performances, even though for some people it's memorable in the bad way.)

I actually rather like Chris Sabat a lot nowadays. I wasn't too keen on his voice acting in the early days of DBZ, but he's improved leaps and bounds in the last several years.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:24 pm

sean schemmel
Masako Nozawa
Kyle Hebert
Heck, it's so hard for me to go through and choose :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Ryo Horikawa as Vegeta. Love the calm yet so fierce voice! I also enjoy watching Masako Nozawa's performance as Son Goku. ^^
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Nils_McCloud

Post by Nils_McCloud » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Jōji Yanami as Kaio-sama. I find his performance absolutely hilarious.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Duncan Brannan as Babidi. One of the best English casting decisions, with a laughter that only Mark Hamill could beat.
Ryusei Nakao as Freeza. Only Chris Ayres comes close to him.
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Sonny Strait in the Dub. He's the only actor I'm never disappointed with. His acting is always strong and he always represents Krillin to a tee.

Ryusei Nakao in the Japanese. His voice...just...that voice. He's so fantastic and so damn creepy.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Ginzō Matsuo, for Farmer with Shotgun.

Truly a genius performance that will echo throughout the ages.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Toriyama-sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toriyama-sama » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Norio Wakamoto. I'm not even a Cell fan but that voice is just awesome :P

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:51 pm

Favorite Japanese: Toshio Furukawa

Favorite English: Sean Schemmel

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:56 pm

I'd have to go with Sonny Strait and Kyle Hebert for both their vocal performances and their "off-screen" personalities. They are both very cool and very talented guys. As for the Japanese cast I'd have to say Ryo Horikawa(Had to look up and cheat for the name) as Vegeta. I just love the voice. :lol:
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:02 pm

I could go with either Scott McNiel or Brian Drummond. Both are legends at what they do and growing up I heard their voices in many cartoons besides Dragonball.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:42 pm

This thread makes my head explode more than that Ginyuu-Gotenks one. Rather, how the Hell is someone suppose to pick-and-choose?! My God, man!!

Anyhow, Wakamoto Norio is my favorite. I'll get into detail in a later post, which I'd like to have a little more effort placed into, so for now I'll focus on Nozawa Masako. Obviously she's the all-around super ace of the industry, but damn are her kid voices cute. Son Gokuu is masterfully performed in Dragon Ball, espicially when surprised for hungry. "Haraheta na~!"
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Sean Schemmel as Goku and Stephany Nadolny as Kid Goku/Gohan
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Shhh, aaahh.... that's a tough one.

On the Japanese side of things from what I've watched so far... probably Shozu Iizuka as Nappa.

English? Uhh... Dameon Clarke as Cell I would have to say. Can't imagine any other voice more fitting for him.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Definitely Ryo Horikawa comes to mind. He just nails every point he needs to for Vegeta. He's calm, but can go insane when needed. He's cooly arrogant, and yet fierce, determined, cunning. He has the voice of someone both entirely in control of a situation and a man about to lose it.
I also really loved Nozawa (of course!), Tanaka, Nakao, and Miyauchi (the first and best Kame Sen'nin).
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:17 pm

For English, it's definitely Chris Ayers as Frieza. For Japanese...I don't know. There's too many great ones. If I had to pick, it'd be Norio Wakamoto as Cell.