If you had free reign over a DB reboot

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

If you had free reign over a DB reboot

Post by Fizzer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:37 am

Imagine you have the rights to the Dragon Ball franchise, and a ludicrous amount of money to spend on re-imagining it. You could make a movie, a manga series, an anime, a live-action TV series or anything else you can think of, it could be highly faithful to the original or diverge quite a lot, it could be a retelling, an alternate take, a parallel universe scenario, you could take a light and comical tone or a deep and dark one, you could aim it at a younger or older audience. It's all down to you. Consider everything like plot and character changes, music choice, animation style, length and pacing and so on. Tell me all about what you'd create.

Personally I would make an anime that tells the story of the Dragon Ball manga fairly closely (as a single series - I think this is important). Obviously I'd go for a modern standard of animation quality. The pacing would be faster than the existing anime series, but generally slower than the manga. Most anime filler, such as extended fights and repetitive pointless footage would not survive. There would be more footage that makes it clear that the characters are just people though, scenes of people hanging around Kame House (though not six times in the middle of a fight, like in the current anime, just in times of peace), the development of relationships that we really missed out on, like the whole Kuririn and 18 thing, stuff from the beginning of Gohan's life and stuff like that. The pacing of the battle between Goku and Freeza in Kai was pretty good, but the pacing of the Imperfect Cell part of Z was also good. I'd use the Japanese names for things, in general, though translate them when I think it works better that way. I really like using "God", "Lord of Worlds" and "Lord of Lords".

I'd pack the series full of content, such as stuff we've learned from the Daizenshuus that was never made clear in the manga or anime, and every episode would have a decent amount of content. I'd correct any inconsistencies in the current series, improve (in my eyes) some explanations of things, and add foreshadowing and mention things some time before they're necessary for the story rather than immediately before, to make it seem much more solid and planned (even though it originally wasn't, this new version is). The line "Well I have a tail, so maybe I'm not human, who knows?" in the Dragon Ball dub was brilliant for this, though I'm thinking more of something like someone commenting on Goku's ability to become more powerful by being beaten before we find out he's a Saiyan, so that things like that don't just come out of nowhere. Kaio could explain that ability to Goku as something like "on Earth, adaptation to one's environments occurs over several generations, but the Saiyan's have the unique ability to adapt as individuals, in an entirely different way. When they heal after some sort of injury, they change in such a way as to prevent the same injury from occurring again, which means becoming stronger after losing a battle". That's one example of what I think of as an improved explanation.

I'd like to keep the transition from cheerful to serious that Dragon Ball has. The story is essentially that of Son Goku's life, and I'd like the change in tone to parallel his growing up. If anything, I'd want to increase this contrast. The number of episodes would almost definitely be shorter, so that would increase the gradient of the change, but I'd want to darken everything from the Freeza arc onwards for good measure. I quite like the Eastern feel that the Kikuchi score gives the series, and I'd want to maintain that. I'd also want a completely orchestral score, even though sometimes I think more techy music suits the Freeza and Cell sagas more. Or perhaps not necessary "orchestral", but certainly "you can identify every sound as a musical instrument"

Generally, certain qualities of the characters like speech mannerisms are lost in translation. I'd really like things like that to survive, anything that makes a character more like a fully-developed real person is good. Goku talking folksy is great, and Piccolo's eloquence in the Viz translation of the manga, even if it's not completely accurate, really suits his character in my eyes. Some of the characters are really quite intelligent without us really appreciating it enough, these include Piccolo, Roshi, Vegeta, Freeza, and Cell. Even if it's not very often I'd like these guys to occasionally do or say something that reminds us that they're damn smart, whether it's suggesting some really clever strategy, referencing some scientific principle, or Roshi actually reading "Mystical Oriental Philosophy" just one time rather than just hiding a dirty magazine inside it.

As for actual changes, the biggest would be that I'd like some people to sometimes actually stay dead, but only if they're going to be useless for the rest of the series anyway. Rather than have them brought back to life only to never contribute again, I'd rather change the rules or circumstances a little bit and have them stay dead. I feel this is less degrading for the characters, and it serves the purpose of destroying the view that is doesn't matter if someone dies because everyone always comes back. I don't like characters being left behind, unless they've just gone completely, so that can be counted by either having them leave the show or not shrinking down their roles quite so much. Tenshinhan played a part in the Cell arc, just after Cell absorbed 17, and a couple of moments like that are good enough for me. Other, smaller changes include things like the following. The super saiyan legend would say that, while all Saiyans have black hair, once there was a golden haired super Saiyan who was the most powerful warrior in the universe. This makes it seem like the super Saiyan was born fair haired, which would of course turn out to be a misconception. I'd like it to seem like Muten Roshi actually teaches his students something, I'd replace the king of the world with the "President of the United Earth" or something like that. I'd like to make the Saiyan's seem like they're actually pretty intelligent, I don't remember if it was anime-only or not that they stole their technology from the other species on their planet, but I don't like that, they're more advanced than humans. The end of DBZ wasn't that great, so I'd either end the story with Goku meeting Pan for the first time shortly after she's born, or use a take on the Kanzenban ending, that draws out the parallels between Uub and young Goku, and also the parallels between Goku and Roshi as he steps down to take the role as a mentor for the next generation, as they both really did the same thing.

So, like I said, tell me about your visions, and feel free to comment on mine :)

Kurillin-Sama

Re: If you had free reign over a DB reboot

Post by Kurillin-Sama » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:52 pm

I would just redub the series with whoever was in charge of the dub for the first three movies. I would also make Akira Toriyama rewrite Dragon Ball GT.

No live action, it just doesn't translate well.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Kurillin-Sama wrote:I would also make Akira Toriyama rewrite Dragon Ball GT.
And bring about his early death. :lol:
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Kurillin-Sama

Post by Kurillin-Sama » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
It's for the greater good. I would gladly sacrifice ten years of Akira Toriyama's life for another quality saga or two. :mrgreen:

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Kurillin-Sama wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
It's for the greater good. I would gladly sacrifice ten years of Akira Toriyama's life for another quality saga or two. :mrgreen:
Just look at the writing in the Boo arc. I don't think anything could save GT, not even Toriyama's world-class storytelling. :wink:
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:13 pm

I would like to redo the entire series with new HD animation and without filler, but for something new...

I would do the origins of the Saiyans.

I'm not talking about Planet Vegeta, but of their REAL planet of origin. A series of how they started as tribes... and following them through the ages. Civil wars, culture... their own heroes and villains, up until they get into space. Was it by their own technology? Did they stole a visitor's ship?

And specially who was the first Super Saiyan?

Finally, the ending of the first season would be a grown up Pan (+50yo) or some other descendant of Goku and Vegeta arriving to the planet. They are looking to "restock" Saiyan guardians for Earth.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Reboot it everything after the Cell arc, so the story would be rewritten from the point of Gohan's teen years.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:39 pm

I would hire Toyble. Yeah. Think about it, he took all the crappy made-up concepts from "AF" over the years and made a pretty good manga with a decent story. Even his Dragon Ball Zero stuff is pretty interesting (and his portrail of Goku's mom is the best yet.)

Also, "Who wants to be a superhero?" by Michsi here from the forum because it's crazy good.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:42 pm

That's an excellent point Rokura. Toyble should be part of the staff.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:21 pm

For the story itself, I have a shitload of ideas (too many to write down here), so I'll just list my official media dreams.

I'd want some kind of information in a guidebook on the history, wildlife, culture, population and government of Earth, as well as Karin and Karin Tower's backstory. I'd want OVAs or something on the child of Katatz/God & Piccolo's backstory, the Mutaito school, the old dudes (Kame-sennin, Tsuru-sennin, Tao Pai Pai, Grandpa Gohan, Gyuumao) in their respective primes and possibly entire casts worth of supporting characters in the form of other martial arts from their era that they’d have to climb through to get to their top ranking statuses that we see them at when we first meet them in the series (taken from Kunzait_83)...

*breathes out*

Yamcha and Tenshinhan & Chaozu's backstories, stories focused on Mr. Satan and Mr. Boo, stories set far into the distant future with the descendants of Gokuu and Kuririn as the main characters or something (tying adventure and DBs back into the main plot), time gaps and/or things that were mentioned but not explored enough, future Gohan, Cell's timeline in which Muten Roushi takes on a new cast of students post-Trunks' death as the world is being rebuilt and sees how Chi-Chi and Blooma are coping with their sons' deaths, and potentially humorous stories on what Vegeta, Nappa and Raditz got up to after their race was destroyed.

And a near-perfect English dub of the series that's on par with the original Japanese version.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:21 pm

For the story itself, I have a shitload of ideas (too many to write down here), so I'll just list my official media dreams.

I'd want some kind of information in a guidebook on the history, wildlife, culture, population and government of Earth, as well as Karin and Karin Tower's backstory. I'd have all the manga coloured. I'd want OVAs or something on the child of Katatz/God & Piccolo's backstory, the Mutaito school, the old dudes (Kame-sennin, Tsuru-sennin, Tao Pai Pai, Grandpa Gohan, Gyuumao) in their respective primes and possibly entire casts worth of supporting characters in the form of other martial arts from their era that they’d have to climb through to get to their top ranking statuses that we see them at when we first meet them in the series (taken from Kunzait_83)...

*breathes out*

...Yamcha and Tenshinhan & Chaozu's backstories, stories focused on Mr. Satan and Mr. Boo, stories set far into the distant future with the descendants of Gokuu and Kuririn as the main characters or something (tying adventure and DBs back into the main plot), time gaps and/or things that were mentioned but not explored enough, future Gohan, Cell's timeline in which Muten Roushi takes on a new cast of students post-Trunks' death as the world is being rebuilt and sees how Chi-Chi and Blooma are coping with their sons' deaths, and potentially humorous stories on what Vegeta, Nappa and Raditz got up to after their race was destroyed.

And a near-perfect English dub of the series that's on par with the original Japanese version.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:32 pm

I'd have to second a Pokemon: Chronicles-esque side-series featuring the supporting cast. It'd have stuff like Yamcha's background (meeting Puar and becoming a bandit), Tenshinhan and Chaozu (meeting each other and becoming disciples of Tsuru-sen'nin), Chi-chi and Gyumao (life on Mt. Frypan before the fire, Chi-chi awaiting Goku's return, etc.), Oolong (going to Shapeshifting Kindergarten, getting expelled, etc.), Kame-Sen'nin (training under Mutaito, fighting Piccolo Daimao, meeting and training under Karin, etc.), Kami (leaving Yunzabit, meeting the current God, expelling Piccolo), Kuririn (at the Orin Temple), and so on.

Dragon Ball as a series has so much background that we're given but is never explored, a series like this could go on and on and on.

Also, I'm in full support of a sitcom starring Mr. Satan and Mr. Boo. :P

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:14 am

Get rid of all the crappy art out these days and bring back the style seen here:

I think you get my point :D

I would definitely keep a high budget on the animation.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:19 am

I'd hire TheDevilsCorpse and give him a team of assistants to help make his project into... a manga or anime, I guess.

That or I'd go with my own (now abandoned) plan of re-imagining the series.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:44 am

Attitudefan wrote:Get rid of all the crappy art out these days and bring back the style seen here:

*snip*
Sorry for being kind of off-topic, but let me clarify who animated these scenes:

1) Okimoto Hideko
2) Okimoto Hideko
3) Satou Masaki
4) Satou Masaki
5) Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi
Last edited by kei17 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:48 am

kei17 wrote:
Attitudefan wrote:Get rid of all the crappy art out these days and bring back the style seen here:

*snip*
Sorry for being kind of off-topic, but let me clarify who animated these scenes:

1) Okimoto Hideko
2) Okimoto Hideko
3) Satou Masaki
3) Satou Masaki
4) Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi
That is alright. I'd much rather have these guys over who is currently on board. I like their animation and their art.

I love Satou Masaki and Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi very much. Those episodes are gorgeous. Their art is amazing and follows the manga well and has respect to Toriyama's art compared to the stuff we see today.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:02 am

Phase one would be re-invigoration. I'd somehow work out a deal to have the entire manga colored (supervised by the man himself). Then begin a new animated series that spans the entire length of the manga.

Phase two would be escalation. Rush of new merchandise. I'd personally love to see a new card game be released, I was so upset when the Bandai game went under. It was so awesome. Start releasing some new animated movies that don't contradict the manga. Get DBO a U.S. release and get a manga series going that covers the story. Work closely with video game developers and start releasing new video game series. Fighters, rpgs, action-adventure...

Phase three would be fruition. This phase really only consists of one step. The beginning of a glorious, amazing, incredible film series that would eventually cover the entire story.

And then I would die content.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:23 am

I'l try and think up some things but right now all I can think of is making the first introduction of Freeza really creepy (especially if it was a live action movie).

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:23 am

Saiga wrote:I'd hire TheDevilsCorpse and give him a team of assistants to help make his project into... a manga or anime, I guess.
What project?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:59 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Saiga wrote:I'd hire TheDevilsCorpse and give him a team of assistants to help make his project into... a manga or anime, I guess.
What project?
Dragon Ball Redux - It's a rewrite of DB/Z/GT/Online to mesh everything official into one unified continuity without contradictions. That even includes things like DB heroes and SS3 Broli. :P
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!