Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:39 pm

So here I am watching this and there are TWO things that disturb me. One is the fact that there are a bunch of followers to a religion and it turns out that Dolltacki was just tricking them and they were praying to a machine. It's a cartoon and all that, but it's still in poor taste. For some reason, it can strike a chord because it shows people spending their lives devoted to something and 20 years later, they're all just tricked. So that was in poor taste. But then he tries to change Pan's clothes, looking like he's getting all hot about it and it's kind of sick. Dude's a cult leader and a pedophile. This is the most disturbing thing I've seen in the DB series and I can't believe that I was grossed out enough to make a thread about it.

What do you guys think?

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Anybody Else Bothered By GT'S Dolltacki Character?

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Well you have to think about all the other weird characters in the Dragon Ball universe. I'm not really bothered by it, I actually think it's quite funny the way he acts. And as far as the religion "scam", he's evil what do you expect?
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:45 pm

I see nothing wrong with him.
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:05 pm

I don't know, he was just majorly creepy. More than any other character in my opinion. Religion scam and pedophilia...and he wasn't funny, he wasn't goofy, he was just...nasty lol

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:16 pm

I'll have to check it out. Btw, are you referring to the original Japanese version or to the dub? As sometimes the dub tends to add weird accents that amplifies a characters "oddness".
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:25 pm

You're not supposed to like him. He did his job and I don't think he particularly passes any lines of good taste.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:04 pm

Please. He is about as bad as Roshi. Making bulma show him her underwear and making her show him her boobs. Yet nobody gets on his ass. Plus people forget that Pan is what 14? And Bulma was 16?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:05 pm

I think he's the production crew's commentary on Otaku, actually. Notice the way he covets a 'cute little girl' as is seen in recent years with the mo'e fandom.

Pan's nine at that point in the series, Mystic Gohan.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:41 pm

Mystic Gohan wrote:Please. He is about as bad as Roshi. Making bulma show him her underwear and making her show him her boobs. Yet nobody gets on his ass. Plus people forget that Pan is what 14? And Bulma was 16?
You're completely wrong... GT takes place five years after the events of the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai. Pan (at the time) was three years old therefore, she is (according to the original Japanese version) eight years old. The Funimation dub has a history of altering and changing things...
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:44 pm

Pan is 9 and Roshi is funny and makes jokes, but Dolltacki isn't funny nor does he make jokes. And I'm talking about the original version, I forgot what he sounds like in the dub, but I do remember being a little disturbed by him too. He's all like, "Ooh little girl we're going to have so much fun I love cute little girls. Ooh let's change your clothes...yes...yes...yes!!!" Really psycho and creepy.

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:50 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Pan is 9 and Roshi is funny and makes jokes, but Dolltacki isn't funny nor does he make jokes. And I'm talking about the original version, I forgot what he sounds like in the dub, but I do remember being a little disturbed by him too. He's all like, "Ooh little girl we're going to have so much fun I love cute little girls. Ooh let's change your clothes...yes...yes...yes!!!" Really psycho and creepy.
Maybe he's homosexual and leans more to his feminine side?
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:48 am

JulieYBM wrote:I think he's the production crew's commentary on Otaku, actually. Notice the way he covets a 'cute little girl' as is seen in recent years with the mo'e fandom.

Pan's nine at that point in the series, Mystic Gohan.
What the heck. Oh man guess i should have watched the series rather than take a friends word for it LOL.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:14 am

Mystic Gohan wrote:Please. He is about as bad as Roshi. Making bulma show him her underwear and making her show him her boobs. Yet nobody gets on his ass. Plus people forget that Pan is what 14? And Bulma was 16?
Actually, I believe Master Roshi's behavior is disturbing as well. It makes me really dislike the character, he reminds me of the kind of man I DON'T want to be, and I can't help but feel that, according to logic, that he's going to commit some serious sexual sin at some point, especially given that he's immortal. I don't believe someone in real life can act the way Roshi does and not have it warp him somehow.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:35 am

Fionordequester wrote:
Actually, I believe Master Roshi's behavior is disturbing as well. It makes me really dislike the character, he reminds me of the kind of man I DON'T want to be, and I can't help but feel that, according to logic, that he's going to commit some serious sexual sin at some point, especially given that he's immortal. I don't believe someone in real life can act the way Roshi does and not have it warp him somehow.
To be honest I think he's already crossed that line... I can't stand him, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds him disturbing.

Also Dolltaki really did creep me out. But he's a minor character and I forgot about him fairly soon.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:50 am

The most sick idea EVER. Not only how he acts, but how he looks like too.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:18 am

Whew good thing I'm not the only one lol Sure he appears for, what, 2 episodes? I just happened to be watching those episodes just sitting there like, "What the hell is this?"

And yeah I don't like Roshi's pervertedness either. I mean really, how am I supposed to like a character trying to sneak himself into the bathroom so he can peek at Bulma taking a crap or peeing? That's disgusting. When I think of Roshi, I try to forget those qualities and think of him more like he was in the Piccolo Daimao and Saiyan arcs. But at least he has some redeeming qualities and at least it's done to make you laugh because it's all presented in a silly way. Dolltacki is just like creepy predatory disgusting type.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:48 am

I haven't seen GT (at least not these episodes) but from what I read, I think you are supposed to be dislike him ?

Regarding Roshi, I too never really liked his perverted streak , even if it was just for humour. I was really happy they did away with that in later part of the story.

StarRot
Advanced Regular

Post by StarRot » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:49 am

I don't really have a problem with him. Yeah, he's creepy, but that's the point. Honestly, like some others, I have more of a problem with Roshi.

As for the cult thing ... That's what real cults do. They create lies and prey on vulnerable people to exploit, usually for money but sometimes other, darker things.
JulieYBM wrote:I think he's the production crew's commentary on Otaku, actually. Notice the way he covets a 'cute little girl' as is seen in recent years with the mo'e fandom.
When I first saw that character, I instantly thought of some of the more ... enthusiastic Ball-Jointed Doll collectors. The otaku thing works too!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:23 am

I've never watched GT in full and barely even know about this "Dolltacki" guy, but, well, this is Japan. And anime. What do you expect?

Dragon Ball's the same series that has a teenage girl thinking it's appropriate to let a 12-year-old boy she just met feel her butt, a barely pubescent 12-year-old girl running around in lolicon fetish uniform, a perverted old man repeatedly sexually harassing the teenage girl, an 8-year-old piglet who tries to violate that same girl in her sleep, a gay man falling head over heels for a prepubescent-looking android boy*, and the aforementioned teenage girl's 11-year-old dressing like a hooker and being chatted up by adult men.

And the cult thing is based in reality, so I don't know why you think it's "in poor taste".

*And FUNimation actually made this worse in probably the biggest censorship fail ever by having Blue say that he looked like his long-lost brother, but keeping the visuals that clearly showed he was attracted to him, making him an incestuous paedophile. Funnily enough, they were perfectly fine with adding insensitively and stereotypically exaggerated accents to Namu and Killa.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:49 am

I'm more offended by the laziness of someone who TALKS to DOLLS being called DOLLTACKI than anything else about him.

That would be like "hey look, it's Gohan's dad, KamehamehaThrower".