Why does FUNi release DBZ on BD/DVD when they'll cancel it?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why does FUNi release DBZ on BD/DVD when they'll cancel

Post by Gotham22 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:06 am

So the BD's are on hold and more dragon boxes is a 50/50 chance thing right now since retailers aren't interested.
The DB franchise is pretty much dead until something happens.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:38 am

I understand peoples' frustration at this, I share it. I dislike that the bricks are the only complete release of the whole series of Dragon Ball and DBZ. As much as I like the Faulconer audio sometimes, I just can't watch the orange bricks, which means I'm stuck with blue bricks for Dragon Ball, DBoxes with no Faulconer for Z and green bricks for GT. If they bring out the other DBoxes, then even without the Faulconer audio, I'll consider my collection to be complete. I'd prefer a complete Blu-ray release, but, oh well.

I can take happiness in knowing that, even if it takes several years, one day they'll bring out a perfect release, because they'll always return to Dragon Ball as long as people keep being born.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:49 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I think this might be why we never got those DragonBall Z: The Movies Dragon Box.
Hm, I see.

Though, I really hope FUNimation will someday release Dragon Box the Movies, or something better than the DFs, because I'm not buying the DFs at all even if it means not owning the DB films.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:23 am

Gotham22 wrote:So the BD's are on hold and more dragon boxes is a 50/50 chance thing right now since retailers aren't interested.
The DB franchise is pretty much dead until something happens.
I'd say the only real DragonBox that has a 50/50 shot of being released is the DB(Z): The Movies DragonBox. It's my understanding that FUNimation already has this so, it would cost far less to release this over a new Blu-ray line.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:04 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I think this might be why we never got those DragonBall Z: The Movies Dragon Box.
Hm, I see.

Though, I really hope FUNimation will someday release Dragon Box the Movies, or something better than the DFs, because I'm not buying the DFs at all even if it means not owning the DB films.
So what is it the 16:9 that bothers you so much? I'd much rather own the DB films in the quality that is available to us now, then never own them at all, considering of course we never get a release of better quality, i.e., Dragon Ball Z: The Movies Dragon Box.

I'm willing to wait another 8-12 months for anything letting me know there will be more Dragon Ball home video releases. In the mean time, I plan on supporting FUNimation by picking up Dragon Ball GT: The Complete Series, Dragon Ball: Complete Collection Movie 4 pack, as well as the new One Piece collections and Season 4, first Voyage.

You know... I thought I should hold out on buying the blue bricks and the z movie packs, but now that I think about it, If I expect better releases in the future, I need to support what's already out there. I think this thread has made me change my mind. After I purchase the aforementioned, the Blue Bricks and the Z Movie Packs will be mine. Then I would actually own the entirety of the Dragon Ball anime. No joke, I would then have it all... :mrgreen:

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:15 pm

On Dbox: The Movies, are the movies presented in 16:9?

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:18 pm

mattymoron wrote:On Dbox: The Movies, are the movies presented in 16:9?
Upps, yea they are. :oops: The FUNi movie singles are in 4:3...I figured the japanese DBox: the Movies were also 4:3, and not 16:9 like the more recent american movie releases are.

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Sweet. On a movie Dbox they'll obviously throw on the TV specials, but I'd like to think that it's possible we could get the original PtEtS, since it was included with the original Dbox. Here's hoping.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:32 pm

dprez wrote:So what is it the 16:9 that bothers you so much?
Nope. It's the picture quality.

If the DFs were as good as the DBZ Levels then things would've been different.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:47 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
dprez wrote:So what is it the 16:9 that bothers you so much?
Nope. It's the picture quality.

If the DFs were as good as the DBZ Levels then things would've been different.
The picture quality is good besides movie 1 and movie 6. Or you could always get the 4:3 singles. That way, even if the Dragon Box comes, there'll still be a reason to have them.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm wondering how the FUNi 4:3 singles stack up against the 16:9 DFs.

I'm patiently waiting for these to arrive: Image Image, so I can compare it to this: Image

...and find out for myself.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:47 pm

dprez wrote:I'm wondering how the FUNi 4:3 singles stack up against the 16:9 DFs.

I'm patiently waiting for these to arrive: Image Image, so I can compare it to this: Image

...and find out for myself.
I know this is off topic but here's a comparison.
Single.
Remastered blu-ray.

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:55 pm

Why didn't they just do a blu-ray release with the DBox masters or something? I'm pretty ignorant as to...the...erm...mechanics...of it, so forgive me if that's dumb.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:59 pm

The 2 TV-Specials of DBZ got turned into films by FUNimation removing the Eyecatches and whatnot, if I read somewhere correctly, the FUNimation Singles do have the Eyecatches but the quality doesn't please me.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:59 pm

mattymoron wrote:Why didn't they just do a blu-ray release with the DBox masters or something? I'm pretty ignorant as to...the...erm...mechanics...of it, so forgive me if that's dumb.
FUNimation likely only has 480p digital copies of the Dragon Box masters, meaning a Blu-ray would be just an upscale.

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:05 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote: FUNimation likely only has 480p digital copies of the Dragon Box masters, meaning a Blu-ray would be just an upscale.
Has Toei done any HD Dragon Ball releases?

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:12 pm

mattymoron wrote:Has Toei done any HD Dragon Ball releases?
Aside from Kai, no.
-Joey

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:20 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:But to go back to what I said. The only reason I say that is because I've been buying DBZ for years thinking that THIS will be the best way to watch the series....then Funimation comes out with something better, Dragon Box for example....then blue balls me. And no one act like they don't get anime without paying whether it's streaming or downloading. :roll:
If it's licensed for release in North America and, thus, is readily available I will buy it. In the case of the new ThunderCats, which is not available outside of Cartoon Network, with the exception of Cartoon Network UK, I might find alternative methods to see it or wait until the next DVD is released. Basically, if I can buy it I will buy it to support the release. I won't just download/stream in place of buying something.
mattymoron wrote:Sweet. On a movie Dbox they'll obviously throw on the TV specials, but I'd like to think that it's possible we could get the original PtEtS, since it was included with the original Dbox. Here's hoping.
I don't think it's quite so cut and dry, as the original press release mentioned the 291 TV episodes and 13 movies, with no mention of the TV specials. I also do not see Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans being a possibility on the grounds that it was on the Japanese Dragon Box. FUNimation only licensed the footage of Dragon Ball Z for the domestic Dragon Box release, hoping for anything else is just wishful thinking unless they specifically mention it.
dbboxkaifan wrote:The 2 TV-Specials of DBZ got turned into films by FUNimation removing the Eyecatches and whatnot, if I read somewhere correctly, the FUNimation Singles do have the Eyecatches but the quality doesn't please me.
Actually, it's the other way around. The singles presented the TV specials as movies, while the double features, albeit cropped, presented the specials with the eye catches intact.
Last edited by OutlawTorn on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:23 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:The 2 TV-Specials of DBZ got turned into films by FUNimation removing the Eyecatches and whatnot, if I read somewhere correctly, the FUNimation Singles do have the Eyecatches but the quality doesn't please me.
The eyecatchers were never removed as far as I know. They're intact in the DF's.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Gonstead wrote:The eyecatchers were never removed as far as I know. They're intact in the DF's.
They were left off of the old singles, I believe.
-Joey