Which DB series got the worst dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Which DB series got the worst dub?

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:18 pm

I think Dragon Ball,GT,Kai and all the movies had a great dub but the DBZ TV series had a pretty bad dub in my opinion. Whats your opinion? EDIT: english dubs only.
Last edited by DHM211 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Re: Which DB series got the worst dub?

Post by dprez » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:19 pm

FUNimation's DBZ dub is probably the worst.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:26 pm

FUNi's DBZ's dub (as well as Westwood Media's [?] dub, which sourced FUNi's dub scripts) definitely, though FUNi's DB and GT dubs aren't that much better.
Last edited by jpdbzrulz4sure on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Joey

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:37 pm

English dub only? DBZ's FUNimation.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:43 pm

Dragon Ball GT

At least the old FUNi dub for DBZ had a half-way decent soundtrack but in GT, you just got a horrible rap song and instrumental reneditions of that said monstrousity (way to destroy GT's only saving grace). I also hate the lines, for example Goku once said to Cell "give me some credit." after Cell used the Kamehameha wave. WTF?! THAT'S KAME-SHINNIN'S MOVE, YOU COCKY, HYPOCRITICAL LITTLE BASTARD!!! He doesn't have to give you shit except an ass-whopping (you can see I hate GT Goku) and I hate Pan's voice so much (like her already dreadful personality wasn't enough), she sounded like a shrill middle-aged lady.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:44 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Dragon Ball GT

At least the old FUNi dub for DBZ had a half-way decent soundtrack but in GT, you just got a horrible rap song and instrumental reneditions of that said monstrousity (way to destroy GT's only saving grace).
To be fair, this isn't a problem with the new DVDs.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:56 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Dragon Ball GT

I also hate the lines, for example Goku once said to Cell "give me some credit." after Cell used the Kamehameha wave. WTF?! THAT'S KAME-SHINNIN'S MOVE, YOU COCKY, HYPOCRITICAL LITTLE BASTARD!!!
And another to be fair, Goku's cells are exactly how he received the Kamehameha along with other moves that were implemented into Cell.

So technically, the line isn't really wrong.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:22 pm

Malaysia.... DUH.

EDIT: I misread as usual. DBZ of course. From what I remember anyway.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:36 am

Most people on here know it's DBZ. I won't say it's the worst dub ever, it actually has it's charm, but it was FUNI's first big dub and it SHOWS. Most of the problems stem from the script and the fact they used inexperienced actors. Don't worry guys, it got better over time.

The best worst dub ever is the AB Groupe "Big Green" dub for the DBZ movies. Absolutely hilarious, and some of the voices in there are totally epic (even if they don't fit the character.)
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:41 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:it got better over time.
It got better when they did Kai. Not before that.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:43 am

penguintruth wrote:
The majin buu saga had a pretty decent dub.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:17 am

The Blue Water dub of DBZ, as I remember it, was pretty awful. The Funimation dub was much more consistent and much higher quality, also, complete.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:23 am

Fizzer wrote:The Blue Water dub of DBZ, as I remember it, was pretty awful. The Funimation dub was much more consistent and much higher quality, also, complete.
Blue Water never dubbed DBZ. They dubbed the original Dragon Ball and GT.

Westwood Media in conjunction with the Ocean Group did DBZ if that's what your thinking.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:26 am

The dub that covers the artificial human arc onward, yeah. I've heard many people call it the blue water dub before, sorry about that :P

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:14 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:The best worst dub ever is the AB Groupe "Big Green" dub for the DBZ movies.
This isn't true, sir, the Speedy Dub and its Saiya People make it the best-worst comical English dub, it qualifies as one of the worst dubs but not the worst dub ever.

And I agree for once with peguin, FUNimation got better in Kai.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:21 am

penguintruth wrote:
I think what he might mean is that, while it was still bad, it got less bad as the dub progressed. For one, Sabat's Vegeta developed from a poor Drummond impersonation to...well, a generic gruff and angry voice.

OK, poor example, but you know what I mean.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:28 pm

I found both 1996-1998 and 1999-2005 Funimation dubs to be pretty terrible. It's too bad that we never got a good dub of Dragon Ball until Kai came out in the US.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:37 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:The best worst dub ever is the AB Groupe "Big Green" dub for the DBZ movies.
This isn't true, sir, the Speedy Dub and its Saiya People make it the best-worst comical English dub, it qualifies as one of the worst dubs but not the worst dub ever.

And I agree for once with peguin, FUNimation got better in Kai.
From what I've seen (Movies 1, 5, 6, 7, 9 and 12), I'd say "Speedy vs. Big Green" is more a case by case thing.

Speedy Movie 1, for example, actually has a script which only has minor errors and doesn't have anything narm-ish sounding. Big Green's got worse dubbing errors and bad-sounding lines in this instance. It's mostly when "Saiya People" start popping up that the Speedy dubs start sounding absurdly goofy at all. Well, beisdes the voice acting quality.
In contrast, Speedy Movie 9.... easily the absolute most hilariously bad English dub of any Dragon Ball product ever.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:49 pm

I will say though that the Big Green Bardock and Trunks specials were better quality dubs out of what they had dubbed.

Big Green Bojack Unbound wasn't that bad either.
Last edited by Gonstead on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:54 pm

The Big Green dubs are so bad that they are good :lol: . They are pretty much level at MST3k level of badness.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/