The Speedy Dubs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

The Speedy Dubs

Post by Thouser » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:27 am

Exactly how many dubs did they actually make? The only ones I know that exist for sure (i.e. I've seen them or clips from them) are:

Movie 3: Super Battle in the World
Movie 4: Super Saiya, Songoku (SIC)
Movie 5: The Strongest Rivals
Movie 6 (don't know the name they used for this one)
Movie 8: The Burning Battle
Movie 12: Rival Fusion

They did release VCDs of movie 1 (Dragon Ball Z) and movie 2 (The Strongest Guy in the World), but I don't know if they actually made their own dubs for them (they probably did, but I'm not 100% sure since I've never seen clips from them). I don't know about movies 7, 9, 10, 11, or 13.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

kei17
I Live Here

Re: The Speedy Dubs

Post by kei17 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:48 am

Thouser wrote:They did release VCDs of movie 1 (Dragon Ball Z) and movie 2 (The Strongest Guy in the World), but I don't know if they actually made their own dubs for them (they probably did, but I'm not 100% sure since I've never seen clips from them). I don't know about movies 7, 9, 10, 11, or 13.
Thanks to kind people, I've got DBZ movies 1 to 12. I also have a video clip from DB movie 2, so they must have dubbed three DB movies, too.

SM-dood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SM-dood » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:17 am

Oh man, I love the Speedy Dubs. Well, for it's hilarity. I actually own DBZ movie 5 on Speedy-dubbed VCD (it's the only version of the movie I have at the moment actually...) which purchased from this person: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Ball-Z-T ... 2ebbe5b369 It's not in the original jewel case but it seems to be completely... Speedy-official otherwise.

The Dragon Ball movies, I'm not sure of, but I've heard they have (from kei17 above too :P). DBZ movies 1 and 2... I haven't seen any clips personally. (Almost forgot about #3's Speedy dub if not for your post, which is sad because it's my favorite DBZ movie :oops:) DBZ movies 3-13 are a sure definite they dubbed them, at least a sure definite for movies 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 12 from clips I've seen.
... Straying from the topic a bit again, oh man, I just think these dubs are hilarious. I even watched a couple of them with my friends over Skype. :lol: We did commentary for one which I can hopefully upload if I find a better video editing program that isn't WMM or can remember how to get a trial of Vegas.
Last edited by SM-dood on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dizrythmia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dizrythmia » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:10 am

I've got a VCD of DB Movie 2 which is laughably bad. I haven't seen any of the other DB or DBZ movies though so I can't speak for them.

atm5508
Beyond Newbie

Post by atm5508 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:35 pm

[quote="SM-dood"]Oh man, I love the Speedy Dubs. Well, for it's hilarity. I actually own DBZ movie 5 on Speedy-dubbed VCD (it's the only version of the movie I have at the moment actually...) which purchased from this person: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Ball-Z-T ... 2ebbe5b369 It's not in the original jewel case but it seems to be completely... Speedy-official otherwise.

I'm not 100% sure on how many they actually dubbed, but they sure are fun to watch!
Last edited by atm5508 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jawdrahb
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jawdrahb » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Seems these releases have been around ever since the early 2000's.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:20 pm

I have movie 5 and its so funny to listen to it.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Dizrythmia wrote:I've got a VCD of DB Movie 2 which is laughably bad. I haven't seen any of the other DB or DBZ movies though so I can't speak for them.
What's the title Speedy used for DB movie 2?
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:43 pm

I have a collection of the Speedy dubbed versions.

However, I have yet to see Movie's 2, 3, 9 - 13 in their complete dubs since I've only seen clips of them. As a multi-english dub collector I'd love to have some copies.

What I really want copies of are of the Big Green dubbed movies 10 - 13, the GT special and the Dragon Ball movies that they did. They're practically impossible to find.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Dizrythmia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dizrythmia » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:54 am

superrayman3 wrote:
Dizrythmia wrote:I've got a VCD of DB Movie 2 which is laughably bad. I haven't seen any of the other DB or DBZ movies though so I can't speak for them.
What's the title Speedy used for DB movie 2?
From memory it was the same: Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle. What's amusing is that the cover shot is from the Buu arc when Goku comes back to life & everyone is at the tournament.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:25 am

Me and my friend used to say those dub lines to each other all the time. The most popular one with us was "If I don't eat rice, the power won't come"! That's what Goku says while eating rice in the space ship flying to New Namek in movie 6.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Movie 9 is definetly dubbed by Speedy, because I own it. I actually was mentioning this in another thread, not knowing what language it was. It's awful, not even worth sitting through. It was only 99 cents when I bought it off ebay.

SM-dood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SM-dood » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:00 am

atm5508 wrote:Yeah that would be my proud (yet incomplete) collection of Speedy VCDs on UKDB.
I feel embarrassed for forgetting now. Especially since I ordered some Dragon Ball merchandise from you before too :oops:
Dizrythmia wrote:I've got a VCD of DB Movie 2 which is laughably bad.
If it's okay, can you upload a clip or two of it to a private youtube page for us all?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:46 am

Seconded. I really wanna see how they did the Roshi vs Bio Fighters, Kaioken vs Misokatsun and the Kaioken breaking out of the ice.
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

SM-dood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SM-dood » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:51 am

Wait, are we talking about Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle or The World's Strongest?
Either way, I am curious.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:27 pm

Ah, I mis-read that as DBZ Movie 2.

Still though, I'm interested in what they did for the Dragon Ball movies.

SM-dood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SM-dood » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:29 am

Well, it seems Speedy did infact dub DBZ movies 1 & 2 also.

Movie 1 clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW05kibG3xU&feature=plcp

Movie 2 clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeX-G3ko ... re=related

So, it seems at the least Speedy did all of the Dragon Ball Z movies, but I can't say for Dragon Ball.
It also seems like the voice actors changed maybe for Goku and Piccolo afterwards? At least Piccolo, IMO.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:30 am

SM-dood wrote:Well, it seems Speedy did infact dub DBZ movies 1 & 2 also.

Movie 1 clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW05kibG3xU&feature=plcp

Movie 2 clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeX-G3ko ... re=related

So, it seems at the least Speedy did all of the Dragon Ball Z movies, but I can't say for Dragon Ball.
It also seems like the voice actors changed maybe for Goku and Piccolo afterwards? At least Piccolo, IMO.
Both of those are Movie 1 clips.

SM-dood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SM-dood » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:34 am

Oh, derp. My mistake :oops: So I guess DBZ movie #2 is still a mystery to us at this point, but it's nice to know they did the first.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:14 am

I remember seeing the Movie 5 dub and it was awful. I feel like if the dub was written by Tommy Wiseau. These dubs are laughably bad enough to be on Mystery Science Theater 3000 if they were still on TV today.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/