Akira Toriyama 2012

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shonenhikada
Banned

Akira Toriyama 2012

Post by shonenhikada » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:39 pm

Does anyone know what Akira Toriyama looks like today or have a recent picture of him ?

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: Akira Toriyama 2012

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:58 pm

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:18 pm

LordCrumb wrote:*snipped image*
Such an accurate picture XD

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:11 pm

I imagine he looks about the same as he did the last we saw of him, only now a little older. :P

Though in all seriousness, Toriyama hasn't really made too many public appearances in quite some time, so it's hard saying whether there are any current photos of him. I know I haven't seen any floating around the interwebz recently. But who knows, maybe he'll make an appearance at the new Dragon Ball Z movie premiere, or at least give some sort of interview about it.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:07 am

Hujio wrote:Though in all seriousness, Toriyama hasn't really made too many public appearances in quite some time, so it's hard saying whether there are any current photos of him. I know I haven't seen any floating around the interwebz recently. But who knows, maybe he'll make an appearance at the new Dragon Ball Z movie premiere, or at least give some sort of interview about it.

Man, that guy is like the Willy Wonka of the anime industry.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:10 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Hujio wrote:Though in all seriousness, Toriyama hasn't really made too many public appearances in quite some time, so it's hard saying whether there are any current photos of him. I know I haven't seen any floating around the interwebz recently. But who knows, maybe he'll make an appearance at the new Dragon Ball Z movie premiere, or at least give some sort of interview about it.

Man, that guy is like the Willy Wonka of the anime industry.
So is practically every other manga-ka. It's kinda hard to find 'current' pictures of a manga-ka.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:41 am

Maybe one day there will be golden tickets for his Dragon Ball factory... and then when everyone is inside and asking him what things are, he will have no idea.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:18 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Maybe one day there will be golden tickets for his Dragon Ball factory... and then when everyone is inside and asking him what things are, he will have no idea.
You never know, maybe he's hard at work at answering the most long debated questions in the story. Available in his factory to the ticket holders is the "Canon" Boat Ride, the Hall of Power Levels, the Random Fight Generator, and a Kaioshin worshiping cult everyone can have their parents sign them up for.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote: Man, that guy is like the Willy Wonka of the anime industry.
No, that title should be for Kentaro Miura. Readers overseas were actually fearing he was dead because there hadn't been new chapter in almost 4-5 months.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Found one:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:23 pm

I think he looks pretty close to this (it was taken in 2011):

fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

shonenhikada
Banned

Post by shonenhikada » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:38 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I think he looks pretty close to this (it was taken in 2011):

that's Kiyoshi Nagai whose like 9 years older than Akira.How do we even know Toriyama is dead and Toei is calling the shots ?

http://www.answers.com/topic/go-nagai

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Thats him!? I'm too used to this old photo.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:44 pm

shonenhikada wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:I think he looks pretty close to this (it was taken in 2011):

that's Kiyoshi Nagai whose like 9 years older than Akira.How do we even know Toriyama is dead and Toei is calling the shots ?

http://www.answers.com/topic/go-nagai
Really? Fuck you, bing!
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Storm101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm101 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Where does the Toriyama is forgetful thing come from anyway? Granted I wouldn't expect him to remember everything about his near 30 year old series, but there have been jokes about him forgetting who Gohan and Vegetto were.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Storm101 wrote:Where does the Toriyama is forgetful thing come from anyway? Granted I wouldn't expect him to remember everything about his near 30 year old series, but there have been jokes about him forgetting who Gohan and Vegetto were.
In nearly every interview or Q&A session since completing the series, there's at least one instance of him noting that he does not remember a certain character that someone else mentions. The latest example is from the Special Selection DVD extra, where he begins the entire section by saying:
Akira Toriyama wrote:I’m always forgetting things to begin with, so I have almost no memory of drawing the character design for Goku’s father Bardock and co.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:26 pm

The most recent picture I could find of him was 10 years ago, from his rare visit to North America for the American release of Shonen Jump.

I could only imagine how time has ravaged his once youthful looks... hair probably has gone white, shaved his head, grown a beard, keeps sunglasses on at all times...

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:55 pm

I can actually picture him as a younger Roshi for some reason. Maybe bald but not totally and has a beard.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:30 pm

From what I heard, Toriyama gained some weight. Can't remember the source.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:47 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:The most recent picture I could find of him was 10 years ago, from his rare visit to North America for the American release of Shonen Jump.
Thanks for making me feel old...
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?