Spelling of characters names?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Spelling of characters names?

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:04 pm

I personally prefer "Kuririn" instead of "Krillin", "Goku" instead of "Gokuu" or "Gokuh", "Boo" instead of "Buu", "Freeza" instead of "Freezer". How do you all spell character's names?
Last edited by DoomieDoomie911 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Re: Spelling of characters names?

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:04 pm

I typically write Gokuu, Kuririn, Boo, Freeza, Yamucha, Cooler, and Bulma. As opposed to Goku, Krillin, Buu, Frieza, Yamcha, Coola (which is correct) and Blooma (which is gaining some traction as of late).
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:22 pm

I mostly spell the names the way Funimation spells them.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:30 pm

It's a mixture for me.

Goku, Tenshinhan (No, I do not spell that with an "i"), Bulma, Freeza, Chaozu.

I usually write "Kuririn", but I pronounce it "Krillin". When it comes to "Coola", I don't really have a set pattern for that.

Only reason I write "Chaozu" is because it's shorter than "Chiaotzu".

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Goku, Krillin, Buu, Freeza, Yamcha, Cooler, and Bulma.

Usually I just use the names/spellings from Funimation's English dub unless they changed them completely from the original version for no good reason (like Bardock's crew), though recently I've been saying/writing "Tenshinhan" instead of "Tien" almost always (mostly because "Tien Shinhan" just doesn't quite work as well... it just sounds kind of awkward to say.) There's a few exceptions to the "usually using English spellings" thing (like how I can't remember ever consistently spelling "Freeza" as "Frieza," to the point of not even realizing the English dub spelled it that way at one time), though.

I can't stand the "Gokuh" spelling for Goku's name. It makes it look like it should be "gok-UH" ("uh" like in "ugly," not an "ooh" sound like Goku's name usually has)... one of those "technically valid translation of the Japanese, but looks wrong in English" spellings, like Oozaru with the double-O that makes people think it's pronounced "u-zaru" instead of "oh-zaru." "Gokou" also bugs me, for the same reason (and also because it's... just plain wrong, since that would make his name "Goko" rather than "Goku.")

EDIT: Didn't realize "Gokou" got name-filtered...
Last edited by Pantalones on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:33 pm

I pronounce everything as I spell it. I mostly spell names the way their are rendered in the subtitles, with one of the only exceptions being the, in my opinion, redundant Yamucha. I also use Cooler instead of Coola, which I've tried to swap, but somehow can't.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:41 pm

Insertclevername wrote:I typically write Gokuu, Kuririn, Boo, Freeza, Yamucha, Cooler, and Bulma. As opposed to Goku, Krillin, Buu, Freeza, Yamcha, Coola (which is correct) and Blooma (which is gaining some traction as of late).
I know everyone has certain preferences when it comes to name spellings, but I've never understood why someone would use Cooler instead of Coola when they use Freeza. I could understand if you decided to use Freezer and Cooler, or Freeza and Coola, but to mix and match them seems to really contradict the logic behind each name. And yeah, Blooma really seems to be getting more and more popular these days.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:47 pm

I use Goku, Kuririn, Boo, Freeza, Yamcha, Coola, Chiaotzu, and either Blooma or Bulma. There's other name spellings that I'd like to use, but I would probably come off as really pretentious, such as "Cacarrotto." I still might try that out some time, though.
Last edited by Pokewhiz7 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Goku, Krillin (Kuririn on Dragon Ball forums), Tenshinhan, Chaozu, Buu, Yamcha, Cooler (Coola on Dragon Ball forums), and Bulma.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Goku, Gohan, Friеza, Buu, Cell, Dabura, Kuririn, Yamucha, Tenshinhan, Chichi, Giumao, Bulma...

Edit: I've seen you guys talking about the name "Blooma" but pronouncing it sounds really awkward.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:09 pm

Hujio wrote:
Insertclevername wrote:I typically write Gokuu, Kuririn, Boo, Freeza, Yamucha, Cooler, and Bulma. As opposed to Goku, Krillin, Buu, Freeza, Yamcha, Coola (which is correct) and Blooma (which is gaining some traction as of late).
I know everyone has certain preferences when it comes to name spellings, but I've never understood why someone would use Cooler instead of Coola when they use Freeza. I could understand if you decided to use Freezer and Cooler, or Freeza and Coola, but to mix and match them seems to really contradict the logic behind each name. And yeah, Blooma really seems to be getting more and more popular these days.
I see what you mean, the only reason I say Cooler is because of the dubbed games and such imbedded in my mind. I bet sooner or later I'll be saying and typing Coola as my norm.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:09 am

Goku, Kuririn (even though I always say it as Krillin), Bulma, Kaioh (I usually like my various 王's to be romanized as "oh"), Yama (just Yama, not "King Yama" and definitely not "King Yemma"), Freeza, Coola, Jiǎozi (but I usually just use Chaozu so people actually know what I'm talking about), Tenshinhan (I was a little bit torn on this one for awhile, since even though he's named after a food that originates in Japan, the food's name is supposed to evoke China, being named after the city of Tiānjīn and all, but whatever), and, although it isn't a matter of "spellings", Androids instead of Artificial Humans or Jinzoningen.

I know a lot of people like to use "Artificial Humans" because it's more vague in English, but in Japanese it's usually used to mean a completely artificial human (i.e. an android), whereas kaizoningen (modified human) is used for cyborgs.

And I don't really like the spelling "Blooma". I know it's because her name doesn't have the extended vowel at the end, but plain ol' "bloomers" is spelled ブルマ a lot of the time anyway, so to me personally it just seems kinda silly to spell her name like Freeza's.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:15 am

I use the English/Funimation spelling. Makes me less of a 'true DBZ Fan' according to some, but it's the first versions I knew of, and their names are not all that different from the Japanese versions.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:33 pm

I mostly use the Funi spellings, though, I do write Freeza instead of Frieza.

EDIT: The site automatically corrects some characters' names as well.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:20 pm

mysticboy wrote:I mostly use the Funi spellings, though, I do write Freeza instead of Frieza.

EDIT: The site automatically corrects some characters' names as well.
Not quite an "automatic correct" but censoring the names that are officially used on the English dubbed series, games and whatnot.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:38 pm

For the Japanese names (or names written as Japanese names), I write them in English to match the exact kana. As such, we're dealing with 'Gokuu', 'Kaiou', 'Oozaru', etc. I like getting the most amount of knowledge when it comes to this stuff so it only made sense for me to switch. For the longest time I was using circumflexes because they looked cool (Gokû, Kaiô, etc), but that train had to stop when I realized that 'Ôzaru' didn't reflect that the name was 'oozaru' and not 'ouzaru'. It's the Ookubo Effect, as I call it. :P I also use the written and pronounced order of names (i.e. Son Gokuu rather than Gokuu Son) and Jackie Chun (duh).

For characters with name puns, I try to match the transliteration as closely as possible to the original word while show any changes in the spelling (Freeza from 'freeza', Blooma from 'bloomer'). I'm not as consistent as I want to be yet with my spellings because there is just so dang many of these things!

For titles, I've tended to keep them untranslated. 'Kaiou' rather than 'World King' and 'Kame-sen'nin' rather than 'Turtle Sage'. I suppose I could switch to using the translations full time, but the titles are basically names at this point so I'm not sure I really see any reason to.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 pm

While I can't go through every last character, the ones I use most often that differ from the usual Funi spellings are:
Kuririn
Bura
Raditsu (though I've been using "Raditz" a little more often lately)
Freeza
Brolli
Vejitto
Kamesennin
Tabaru (because Table makes it sound like furniture more than the table in Vegetable to me)
saiyajin

Spellings I like, but don't use are "Blooma", Goku with an "ou" in place of the "u", and "Vejita". I'm just too used to typing "Bulma", and the alternate Goku and Vegeta spellings hold nostalgic value more than preference to me so that's why I just use the regular spellings. I also like the individual names for each of the dragon balls that I used to see in Viz's translation, but I've never bothered to memorize them to put it into use. ^^; (Example: shushinchuu" )
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:23 pm

My naming scheme's similar to JulieYBM's, although I picked up "Blooma" from Gaffer Tape because it made so much sense (also, I can't help but think of pronouncing "Bulma" as "buhl-muh", perhaps due to the dub). I used to translate "Kami" as "God" until that thread a while ago, where I learned that it's not exactly a 1:1 translation that gives the same vibe in English (apparently, "Kami" can mean more than just "God"), as well as that it feels awkward being the odd-one-out of heavenly titles when I don't translate "Kaiou", "Dai-Kaiou", "Kaioushin", etc.

I use "Kakarotto" now instead of "Kakarot"/"Kakarrot" so that "Vegetto" makes sense to me ("Kakarotto" + "Vegeta" = "Vegetto", whereas "Kakarrot" + "Vegeta" = "Vegetto" makes you think "where's the extra "o" comes from?"). I abbreviate "Super Saiyan" as "SS" because the extra "j" should only be used for "Super Saiyajin", and something else that I borrowed from another member here, Herms: I use Roman numerals to signify the numbers at the end of the Super Saiyan Grade titles, to make a further distinction from Super Saiyan 2 and 3.

Uh...what else? You got "Bobbodi", "Bibbidi" and "Boo", to embellish on the pun from the "Cinderella" rhyme thingy. And then there's "Dabra" from "abracadabra". And, in order of the Boos we see...Fat Boo, Evil Boo (the grey one), Mr. Boo (post-split), Super Boo (post-Fat & Evil fusion), and Pure Boo (the small original one).

And "Ultimate Gohan.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:35 am

I find myself conflicted between the "this is more accurate to the Japanese" and "this is how the name has been spelt for over a decade, why change it?"

I was listening to an old podcast when Viz announced "Vegerot". I can see why it annoyed people, but if you were looking at it imagining that the manga was being read by people who weren't aware of the spellings of the original (and if you are releasing a product, it's best to do so in a way that doesn't require outside research from the people buying it), then "Vegerot" does make more sense than "Vegeto", if you are going to be using "Kakarrot" rather than "Kakarroto". The anger at the time seemed to be "His name is 'Vegetto', that's what we've called him for years, so we are going to stick with it." Would there would have been a similar outcry if Bulma's name was spelt "Blooma" by Viz?

Basically, I'm going to use the spelling that will be most recognised by people, because my knowledge of Japanese is non-existent and I'm not going to argue with people about the exact way to translate someone's name from a two decade old manga.
Piccolo Daimao wrote: I abbreviate "Super Saiyan" as "SS" because the extra "j" should only be used for "Super Saiyajin"...
I totally get that, but I'm stuck with the mental block that, to me, "SS" is associated with Nazi Germany. I usually end up just writing "Super Saiyan" to get around it. I quite like the idea of using roman numerals, though.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:11 am

LiamKav wrote:I find myself conflicted between the "this is more accurate to the Japanese" and "this is how the name has been spelt for over a decade, why change it?"

I was listening to an old podcast when Viz announced "Vegerot". I can see why it annoyed people, but if you were looking at it imagining that the manga was being read by people who weren't aware of the spellings of the original (and if you are releasing a product, it's best to do so in a way that doesn't require outside research from the people buying it), then "Vegerot" does make more sense than "Vegeto", if you are going to be using "Kakarrot" rather than "Kakarroto". The anger at the time seemed to be "His name is 'Vegetto', that's what we've called him for years, so we are going to stick with it." Would there would have been a similar outcry if Bulma's name was spelt "Blooma" by Viz?
To be honest, I don't know why people have so much problem with "Vegerot", since it kinda should be something along those lines, going by Viz's naming scheme. Even when I was a kid and my first real exposure to the series was through video games like Final Bout and Budokai 2, I was wondering, "Where did that extra 'o' come from in 'Vegito', if his name's meant to be a fusion of Kakarot and Vegeta?" So I just began using "Kakarotto" to avoid the whole mess.

Although, technically, there should be an extra "r" in there for "Vegerrot", since they use "Kakarrot" to emphasize the "carrot" pun.
LiamKav wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote: I abbreviate "Super Saiyan" as "SS" because the extra "j" should only be used for "Super Saiyajin"...
I totally get that, but I'm stuck with the mental block that, to me, "SS" is associated with Nazi Germany. I usually end up just writing "Super Saiyan" to get around it. I quite like the idea of using roman numerals, though.
Even still, I've been using "SS" for a while, and no-one piped up to say in surprise, "Wait, Gokuu was a Nazi?" Since, you know, this is a Dragon Ball forum. So it's not a problem for me.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.