US Dragon Box questions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

US Dragon Box questions

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:17 pm

1. When I play Dragon Box discs on my laptop, why is it kind of choppy?

2. Would the software, Handbrake, rip Dragon Box footage successfully?

3. How do you guys screenshot Dragon Box clips or anything of the sort?

Zestanor
Regular

Re: US Dragon Box questions

Post by Zestanor » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:27 pm

theawesomepossum777 wrote:1. When I play Dragon Box discs on my laptop, why is it kind of choppy?

What program are you using to watch the discs?

Most computer DVD players have a snapshot feature, though some are better than others.

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Zestanor wrote:
theawesomepossum777 wrote:1. When I play Dragon Box discs on my laptop, why is it kind of choppy?

What program are you using to watch the discs?

Most computer DVD players have a snapshot feature, though some are better than others.
Thing is, my default computer DVD player is Windows Media Player. I don't know if that's a bad or a good thing. I guess the slowness was just my imagination.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:43 pm

Well, VLC will play just about anything, so that's a good alternative to WMP if it's acting up.
And Media Player Classic Home Cinema is the best for snapshots.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:29 pm

1) I did had similar problems watching videos (it was laggy and choppy) on a PC but the hardware was the main issue, so I re-installed Windows XP and issue's solved. It might be the software, not really sure.

2) Its function is to rip videos from the DVDs, and I've had no problems at all with any so far.

3) CCCP + MPC-HC or just VLC.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:43 pm

For a person like myself who isn't to savvy on technology. I use VLC player. I'm able to get rip video by just pressing that record button. You can also right click to take screen shots. Kendamu showed me this a few years ago and I've never used anything but this since.

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:For a person like myself who isn't to savvy on technology. I use VLC player. I'm able to get rip video by just pressing that record button. You can also right click to take screen shots. Kendamu showed me this a few years ago and I've never used anything but this since.

Thank you so much! I'll start using VLC. That sounds ridiculously easy to use.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:13 pm

I didn't know that record button was there! Huzzah Tanooki! Thank you! You've taught me something awesome.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:50 am

VLC is such a wonderful program. I've been using it for years. I would highly recommend it to anyone. The snapshot feature was so useful when I needed to provide stills for my film studies papers in college.

As for the choppiness, it's possible that your system is struggling to keep up. If it remains a problem after switching to VLC make sure you're not running a bunch of programs in the background.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Another idea for you to try is to make a disc image before you play. Stuttering/choppiness might be caused from a dirty/scratched disc. If his is the case, sometimes it takes your drive longer to read the disc... causing stuttering.

If you make a disc image first (an ISO file of sorts) you can just play those files from your harddrive. That way you eliminate the disc itself (or your DVD drive) as a source of the problem. If the stuttering still occurs, then you know it's probably a software problem.

DVDFab will create ISOs and mount them as a letter drive as well (actually, I think they have a separate free software that mounts images to a letter drive). Or you can try to find DVDDecryptor somewhere online and make the ISO. I use all 3 for different situations.

A lot of people like to use VLC player... I use CCCP + Media Player Classic HomeCinema myself (as someone else mentioned). But I have some other software to play DVDs and BluRays (can't remember the name off the top of my head).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

ricecake
Beyond Newbie

Post by ricecake » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Another option is MakeMKV to rip the discs to MKV format.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:04 pm

There have been times that I've had to go into the options on VLC after freshly downloading it onto a computer and add the record button to the main menu. Other times it's already there.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:38 am

Most players cannot play .VOBs very well and can cause chopiness. MPC is one of these.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:03 pm

Corpsecreate wrote:Most players cannot play .VOBs very well and can cause chopiness. MPC is one of these.
MPC(-HC) usually comes with a codec pack so that's resolved. I mean, I don't see MPC for download itself only often, but it's available.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Media Player Classic Home Cinema + CCCP codec pack: the best

VLC player is a close second though.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:36 pm

Was Funimation given the rights to everything from the Dragon Boxes like the second menu with the blue scouter and story mode?

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:29 pm

I forget whether VLC screencaps work this way, but with MPC, DVD screencaps come out at 720x480 resolution—DVD's native resolution without being scaled by the video player. After saving your image (File→Save Image or Alt+I), you'll want to drop it into photo editing software. GIMP does the job for free. Go to Image→Scale Image, click the chain icon to unlink your width and height, and change the width—640 for 4:3 content like the Dragon Ball series, or 853 for widescreen—while leaving the height at 480. The default Cubic interpolation is fine, but play with it if you want. Scale your image and export it as a PNG.

P.S., use Ctrl+right arrow to advance frame-by-frame.
I can see their parachutes.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:05 am

Daimakku wrote:Media Player Classic Home Cinema + CCCP codec pack: the best

VLC player is a close second though.
I completely agree. The only thing I like more about VLC is the 200% Volume option.