Son Family Ages

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Son Family Ages

Post by VenomSymbiote » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:43 pm

After the 7 year gap that proceeds the Cell Games, how old are Goku, Chi-Chi, Gohan, and Goten, approximately?

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Son Family Ages

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Goku: 37 (physically 30 because he was dead)
Gohan: 16 at the start, 17 by the 25th Budokai (plus roughly a year for RoSaT)
Goten: 7
Chi Chi: 37
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:27 pm

Gohan was 17 (physically 18), but at the beggining of the saga he is erroneously said to be 16. The Danzenshuu tries to give an explanation based on Gohan's birthday...

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:48 pm

I thought Gohan was stated to be 16 in the manga.

4 years old at the Beginning of Z

5 years old when the Saiyans come.

6 years old when Goku comes back from Yardrat

9 years old after the Android training.

10 years old physically after the rosat.

So 16 years old or 17 physically in the Buu arc.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:57 pm

Two years passed beetween Namek and Goku returning from Yardrat.

sonikku956
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sonikku956 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:39 am

Fox666 wrote:Two years passed beetween Namek and Goku returning from Yardrat.
Uh, no. Two Namekian years, perhaps.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:42 am

sonikku956 wrote:Uh, no. Two Namekian years, perhaps.
In the manga it's 1 year and 260 days. In the anime they say one year, but then later say Gohan turns 11 while training in the Room of Spirit and Time, which only works if around 2 years pass between Freeza's defeat and Trunks showing up.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:16 am

Fox666 wrote:Gohan was 17 (physically 18), but at the beggining of the saga he is erroneously said to be 16. The Danzenshuu tries to give an explanation based on Gohan's birthday...
Can't Gohan be 16 at the beginning of the Boo arc and then turn 17 some time before the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai?

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Theorically it is possible, but I really don't think Toriyama had something like that in mind...

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:55 pm

He could have just done the math wrong, it's possible.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Where's the error? His birthday is officially in May. It was April at the start of the arc. He was still 16. The real error is Goten's age.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:18 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Where's the error? His birthday is officially in May. It was April at the start of the arc. He was still 16. The real error is Goten's age.
Unless Chi-Chi did some of his training in the ROSAT. :wink:
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Hmm. Goten has born shortly after the Cell arc and he's 7 during the Boo arc. That would make the time gap between Cell & Boo arcs over 7 years. No doubt about that.

Gohan is said to still be 16 at the beginning of the Boo arc, so he must've still officially been 9 (close to 10) during the Cell Games. Is that possible?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:07 pm

hleV wrote:Gohan is said to still be 16 at the beginning of the Boo arc, so he must've still officially been 9 (close to 10) during the Cell Games. Is that possible?
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Old post of mine:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:23rd Tenkaichi Budokai held May 7th, Age 756
Gohan is conceived late July/early August, Age 756
Gohan is born very early May, Age 757
Gohan turns 1 in early May, Age 758
Gohan turns 2 in early May, Age 759
Gohan turns 3 in early May, Age 760
Gohan turns 4 in early May, Age 761
Raditz invades Earth on November 28th, 761
Gohan turns 5 in early May, Age 762
Vegeta and Nappa arrive on Earth on November 3, 762 Age
Everyone lands on Namek on December 18th, 762 Age
Almost everyone lives through Namek's destruction on December 24th, 762 Age
Gohan turns 6 in early May, Age 763
Kuririn and Yamcha are revived on May 3rd, Age 763
Tenshinhan and Chaozu are revived on September 10th, Age 763
Gohan turns 7 in early May, Age 764
Goku returns to Earth in August, Age 764
Gohan turns 8 in early May, Age 765
Gohan turns 9 in early May, Age 766
Gohan turns 10 in early May, Age 767
The 24th Tenkaichi Budoukai is held on May 7th, Age 767
The Jinzoningen appear on May 12th, Age 767
Goku and Gohan enter the RoSaT for less than 24 hours (a year inside) on May 16th, Age 767
Gohan exists the RoSaT still at age 10 on May 17th, Age 767, but is closer to age 11 physically
The Cell Games are held on May 26th, Age 767
Gohan turns 11 in early May, Age 768, but is closer to age 12 physically
Gohan turns 12 in early May, Age 769, but is closer to age 13 physically
Gohan turns 13 in early May, Age 770, but is closer to age 14 physically
Gohan turns 14 in early May, Age 771, but is closer to age 15 physically
Gohan turns 15 in early May, Age 772, but is closer to age 16 physically
Gohan turns 16 in early May, Age 773, but is closer to age 17 physically
Gohan enters Orange Star High and has wacky adventures with Videl as Saiyaman during April, Age 774
Gohan turns 17 in early May, Age 774, but is closer to age 18 physically
The 25th Tenkaichi Budoukai is held on May 7th, Age 774
Buu is released and builds a house on May 7th, Age 774
Satan befriends Buu and Gotenks ego is born May 8th, Age 774
Vegetto decides killing Buu is too boring and defuses of his own free will, Buu blows shit up and then dies due to an infection of Vegetto's invincible ki on May 9th, Age 774

*** I would like to note that this age progression list still works with the Daizenshuu's October 12th date for Raditz' arrival, for those who want to deal with the books printed facts (wrong as they may be). But, as Herms has said, that date is impossible according to the manga's narration of Nappa and Vegeta arriving before a year has passed, so I used his fixed date from the "Stronger Loving Timeline".
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:09 pm

hleV wrote:Hmm. Goten has born shortly after the Cell arc and he's 7 during the Boo arc. That would make the time gap between Cell & Boo arcs over 7 years. No doubt about that.

Gohan is said to still be 16 at the beginning of the Boo arc, so he must've still officially been 9 (close to 10) during the Cell Games. Is that possible?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =8&t=21178

This thread I posted got some good results, and I think the general consensus agrees he was about 10, close to 11.

Chibi Mystic Gohan has a point though, Goten, should probably be about 6 1/2-ish. Unless you buy into the whole, faster birth cycle theory but that's a whole other can of worms.

*Edit* TheDevilsCorpse beat me to it but yeah, that chart explains it all.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:32 pm

Supposedly Goten was already born during the Androids saga, but was never shown?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:37 am

Fox666 wrote:Supposedly Goten was already born during the Androids saga, but was never shown?
I can see Goku neglecting his new-born but Chi-Chi?

Plot-hole.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:40 am

The chart's ok, except for the fact that Gohan's birthday is mid-late may, not early. His birthday is given, at least in the anime, as happening sometime during the 10 day wait for the Cell Games.

Which makes him 16 (chronologically) during the entirety of the Buu Saga.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:00 am

Xyex wrote:The chart's ok, except for the fact that Gohan's birthday is mid-late may, not early. His birthday is given, at least in the anime, as happening sometime during the 10 day wait for the Cell Games.
That birthday was because Gohan had turned 11 inside RoSaT, not because that day was his actual birthday.
Fox666 wrote:Supposedly Goten was already born during the Androids saga, but was never shown?
Why would this happen? The Daizenshuu timeline doesn't say that Goten was born before the Artificial Humans' attack, it was just talking about that specific year in general, then went to the specific days. Chi Chi could perfectly be at her 2-3 months of pregnancy during the Artificial Humans/Cell arcs.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:36 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: Vegetto decides killing Buu is too boring and defuses of his own free will, Buu blows shit up and then dies due to an infection of Vegetto's invincible ki on May 9th, Age 774
The hell :?: