Dragon Ball Live Action TV Show?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Dragon Ball Live Action TV Show?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm pretty sure this thread has been done before but I couldn't find anything new in the past few pages. Would anyone like to see a live action DBZ show instead of another live action film? I think Toei or Tsuburaya could pull off a good tokusatsu show if they have the right crew behind the show.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Live Action TV Show?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:49 pm

Well, I don't want Dragon Ball in live-action at all, since it just can't work. They would have to make changes similar to what they did with Evolution, and while I wouldn't have a problem, I would get sick of hearing everyone bitching around because it's not exactly the same.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:56 pm

If they go for a Japanese live action TV show then they could get away with it being more closer to the series. With DBE, they where trying to make the movie a blockbuster so that they can try to sell it to a bigger audience outside the fan base. They had to make the characters look different so they won't look so goofy. DBE biggest issue to me was the bad story. I didn't mind that they had to make the characters look different (Expect for Piccolo since I always hated his design in the movie) but the movie had a terrible plot, bad acting and awful special effects.
She/Her

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:If they go for a Japanese live action TV show then they could get away with it being more closer to the series. With DBE, they where trying to make the movie a blockbuster so that they can try to sell it to a bigger audience outside the fan base. They had to make the characters look different so they won't look so goofy. DBE biggest issue to me was the bad story. I didn't mind that they had to make the characters look different (Expect for Piccolo since I always hated his design in the movie) but the movie had a terrible plot, bad acting and awful special effects.
Exactly my thoughts about DBE.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:30 pm

There's HEROES - SEASON ONE which resembles me Dragon Ball very much. After Season One the series started dropping in quality.

Also an Asian series but I can't remember its name as I've never seen it, though, a user posted info and a video.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:58 pm

They trashed DBE so I'm not sure they could get it right week by week. Most all of the characters in the show look caucasian to me, so even if they did do a JP version, everyone would be Japanese and it would not seen authentic to me.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:15 pm

I'd rather have a proper live action movie but I would take something handled by Toei or Tsuburaya over something handled by Fox.
dbboxkaifan wrote: Also an Asian series but I can't remember its name as I've never seen it, though, a user posted info and a video.
Maybe one of the Fung Wan shows.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:46 pm

If Toei was doing it, I think a two cours show based on Gohan's Great Saiyaman days would be cool. It might be a little Kamen Rider-esque (espicially now that we've had Fourze), but it'd work.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:48 pm

I want ABC channel to do it!

1/2 live action, half animation. All races have to be covered and someone has to be in a wheelchair (Kuririn) They are all in highschool and when they have to fight they "power up" (more of a transformation) and the battle scenes are animated.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:24 pm

There's already Super Sentai / Power Rangers which comes in the clear. I don't think a live action series will not work since Sabrina had two series: Animated and Live as priorities.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:54 pm

Man, can't they just leave Dragon Ball alone when it comes to live-action? I really hope they will never ever bring it to life. Look what they did to DB Evolution.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:19 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I want ABC channel to do it!

1/2 live action, half animation. All races have to be covered and someone has to be in a wheelchair (Kuririn) They are all in highschool and when they have to fight they "power up" (more of a transformation) and the battle scenes are animated.
Please tell me that statement is overflowing with sarcasm.

DBZnut
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZnut » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:39 pm

It could work if it's handled by people who made dragon ball and they don't try to make the show where goku goes to high school
Oh, hi there.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 pm

Thing is, unless they decide to adapt earlier portions of the series, a live-action take will need large amounts of CG. And going by the track record of Toei recently, it ain't that hot. If they still decide to go with more traditional effects it will still also require a larger than TV budget, or else it will look cheap like badly done CG.

I doubt a movie budget could even help. Basically, it's a bad idea.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:10 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:

I was describing the live action u.s sailor moon that was never made :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:51 pm

I think Tsuburaya could pull off a live action TV show. They where able to pull off some awesome looking special effects in some their recent Ultra stuff like Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy for example.
She/Her

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:41 am

Why would there need to be a wheelchair?

And why would every race need to be present? Only like 2 are represented in the show and both pretty much look like white people, aside from the random "back in the day" drawn black person, or Indian.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:28 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I didn't mind that they had to make the characters look different (Expect for Piccolo since I always hated his design in the movie).
Really? I always thought Piccolo was one of the more popular aspects of the movie, which is to say one of the few aspects that everyone didn't unanimously hate. I personally liked the movie, so...

My ideal show (or movie for that matter) would be nothing like it, though, just so we're clear.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:12 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:

I was describing the live action u.s sailor moon that was never made :lol:
Toei did later manage to do a really awesome live action Sailor Moon, though, even if the US concept of such was completely ridiculous. They could pull off a live action Dragonball, I think, but it would take a lot of tweaking to the series. And major nerfing of power level capabilities so they're not spending 2 seasons worth of budget just to make one fight look good. :lol:
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:02 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote: Look what they did to DB Evolution.
Just because they fuck up once that does not mean that they can't try again and do a better job.
She/Her