Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

DBZnut
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Which TV do you watch YOUR anime on?

Post by DBZnut » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:03 pm

I rather watch it on the computer actually, I find it easier + I can lay on my bed while I watch
Oh, hi there.

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:35 pm

Sometimes on my laptop, most times on my 32" 720p HDTV.

Why do you ask?
-Joey

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:08 am

I view it on a Sharp 42" HDTV. It looks pretty good for Dragon Ball and stuff.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

atm5508
Beyond Newbie

Post by atm5508 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:27 am

For older anime, specifically DB/DBZ/DBGT, I watch it on a 4:3 ratio 27" Sony Trinitron. These old tube TVs are really the best way to play older video games on, and I decided to hook up a DVD player so I could watch some shows in a similar fashion to how they were broadcast.

Mine is one of the newer Trinitrons with a "flat" screen instead of the curved glass, but it is still non-HD. It has component inputs (no progressive compatibility) that I use for the DVD player, as well as for a couple of game systems. These non-HD CRT televisions are a great way to watch older anime, it really makes the colors pop!

Oh, and if you have VHS tapes (I know, a bit outdated, but many of us still have sizable collections), they look 100 times better on a CRT.

If it's newer anime, such as Dragon Ball Kai, I watch it on my 32" LCD.
Last edited by atm5508 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:32 am

I have a 26" Sharp 1080p. It's obviously not top-of-the-line or anything like that, but I still think it looks pretty damn good. I have a fat 80GB PS3 hooked up via HDMI that I play DVDs and BDs on.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:41 am

I have a Sony 40" 1080p LCD. I did have a 29" Panasonic CRT before that but it stopped working around the time of the 6.3 earthquake here. The Dragon Boxes actually upscale pretty good via Playstation 3 + HDMI but it's still not the same as watching it on an older TV.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:08 am

On my 60" Plasma.. although it does have an image retention issue, so when I watch anything in 4:3 for too long, I end up with two lines on the left and right.. so I end up having to put it on a full screen signal for about an hour to get rid of them after I watch DBZ.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:20 am

I feel like a little child reading some of you guy's TV sizes :P I watch mine on a 26'' Sanyo LCD HD TV. I wish I could get a 40 or 50 inch :P me and my brother was looking at a 60 some inch HD Plasma and I said ''Yeah I bet Dragonball Z and the movies would look kick ass on this'' :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Usingnero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Usingnero » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:30 am

On the only TV thats my own for the watching, my 32" 720p LED HDTV. Freaking love this thing, found it at a great deal! :D

It's weird watching 4:3 on this thing though, gotten too used to 16:9.
I enjoy the Dragon Ball original AND Dub, even the VHS Fan-Sub's.
Supporter of fan made AF material, NOT a fanfiction reader.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Trunks: She's standing right over their...
Goku: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, BULMA'S YOUR MOTHER?!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:34 am

A TV in my house.

I find it easier to see than one in somebody else's. Something about walls, etc.

(Really depends, actually. Mostly a HD flatscreen, but sometimes my laptop.)
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

SM-dood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SM-dood » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Most of the time in my living room, on... err, I forget the brand, but it's a 40-inch HD TV. Since I have a PS3 as of Christmas, I've been watching more anime on it. (Though i had a bluray player beforehand, but I never got an actual BD until I got Kai Part 1... all of the BDs in the house currently are Dragon Ball related actually :lol:)
I also sometimes watch my anime in my room via my portable dvd player (or VCR) to my small tv, which... I really don't know the size. It's small, and it claims to be HD (but has no HDMI port and is getting somewhat old). However, the cable in my room only provides under 100 channels, all in SD, so... I'll never know I guess. (While the living room TV has "all the channels".)
At the moment, if I watch anything via my PC, my monitor is 17" LCD monitor witch 1280x720 widescreen reslution... it's okay.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:40 pm

My 55 inch 1080p samsung.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:17 pm

I started watching on my old Toshiba 27" 480i CRT, which sounds way outdated now, but it has component inputs, which made it pretty sweet in its day. Now it's a 55" 1920x1080p Samsung (like DHM211 above me) with an upscaling Blu-ray player. I also recently got an ASUS 25" 1920x1080 monitor to use for my gaming PC and PS3, both of which output audio via optical to my 5.1 receiver—not too impressive with Dragon Ball, but throw Cowboy Bebop Remix in there, 3, 2, 1, let's jam. 8)
I can see their parachutes.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:26 am

I don't have the luxury of enough free space to have more than one TV where I do my viewing, so unless I watch it on my computer with which I still use an old 4:3 monitor (again, space restrictions), my TV is a 36" Samsung LED 1080p HDTV.

For Blu-rays, I currently only have a PS3 to act as a player.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:21 am

37" 1080p HD LCD Vizio.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:36 am

This thread needs pictures!
I'll post my set-up when i have some free time.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:04 am

I have to use my laptop now, I had an old 19" PAL CRT TV that had a slight dis-colouration on the top left hand side before. And it bulged the picture quite a bit.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:46 am

Model: LG 32LF2510

I bought it back in 2010 and to be honest I'm perfectly happy watching and playing on it, I'm not going to be buying a bigger HDTV or 3DTV, this is more than enough for me.

As to how I watch anime on it: Blu-ray and DVD. I haven't re-watched Kai Parts 1-4 but part of that is due to the PS3 Slim being stored away, because it was just getting dust and I wasn't really using it for anything than a Blu-ray Player (which could only be used in months).

By the way, my brother-in-law is more of a Samsung guy (I kind of hate that his Plasma has to show up an image and sound before it goes to the actual stuff) but I've always had a thing for LG TV's & monitors. :P
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:58 am

When I first moved into this apartment, one of the first things I bought was a 46' TV. I always wanted a really nice TV and I don't really spoil myself with stuff like this so I figured what the hell...

But, the funny thing is, I would say about 70% of the time I'm watching DragonBall on this little 19' computer screen...