Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bkev
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by bkev » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:16 pm

I'm just staying cautiously optimistic is all... :/
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:35 am

andrewtuell1991 wrote:How are we so sure that Drummond will be reprising his role for Vegeta? Has it been confirmed?

I know I'm probably in minority on this viewpoint but I'd prefer it if they re-casted for Vegeta. Drummond was never appropriate for the role. In the Saban dub his acting was good but his voice was just horrid. It sounds like Mr. Crocker from Fairly Oddparents. As penguintruth noted, he got even worse in the Westwood dub sounding almost like a parody of himself.

Either way I've never like his Vegeta. Vegeta needs to sound smooth, deep, and aristocratic and Drummond fits in none of these categories.
I get the impression that you hate Drummond simply because his Vegeta doesn't sound like Sabat's. To me that's just ridiculous. Different voice actors are always going to have different takes on a character. If you can't appreciate or accept that then I pity you.

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:40 am

bkev wrote:I'm just staying cautiously optimistic is all... :/
An... Optimistic... Dragonball fan?
Where did you come from? XD

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:01 pm

NitroEX wrote:I get the impression that you hate Drummond simply because his Vegeta doesn't sound like Horikawa's.
Fixed. I always compared dub voice actors to their original counterparts to judge. I don't mean that he has to sound exactly Horikawa but he could at least try get some of Vegeta's characteristics down. Neither Drummond nor Sabat in Kai really give off a "princely" vibe to their Vegetas, both of them always came off as your average constantly angry anime fighter instead of an elite aristocrat.

And I don't flat out hate Drummond's Vegeta. If could deepen it, iron out that rasp, and make it similar to his Paikuhan or his Zechs Merquise from Gundam Wing then he could easily blow Sabat out of the water.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:53 pm

I kind of like how smug and self-loving Drummond makes Vegeta seem. It sounds like he enjoys the sound of his own voice.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:24 pm

andrewtuell1991 wrote:
NitroEX wrote: Neither Drummond nor Sabat in Kai really give off a "princely" vibe to their Vegetas, both of them always came off as your average constantly angry anime fighter instead of an elite aristocrat.
On the contrary, I think Sabat's Vegeta in Kai sounds like the English equivalent of Horikawa's Vegeta. He nigh perfectly portrays Vegeta's smugness, 'look-down-at-you' attitude imho.
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:36 pm

andrewtuell1991 wrote:
Neither Drummond nor Sabat in Kai really give off a "princely" vibe to their Vegetas, both of them always came off as your average constantly angry anime fighter instead of an elite aristocrat.
I don't mean to team up on you...but I think Drummonds Vegeta (especially Saiyan saga) had the same tone as his japanese counterpart. Sure, they didn't sound the same, but I feel that shared similar tone in character.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:28 am

penguintruth wrote:I kind of like how smug and self-loving Drummond makes Vegeta seem. It sounds like he enjoys the sound of his own voice.
I think so too. He portrayed the cockiness of Vegeta well. Although the Death note dub was five years ago I think that the voice of Ryuk went to a similar place that his Vegeta went. He might have difficulty in trying to replicate the voice he did ten years ago. Maybe that's why this dub is taking so long. The voice director/producers might be giving the actors time to practice their voices so that they can get them right. I don't know how this dubbing is being scheduled. It looks like a lot of the actors are doing other shows parallel to DBZ Kai. Scott Mcneil is doing stuff like Johnny Test and Brain Drummond and Lee Tocker are doing Pacman. Maybe Drummond didn't get the role and Roger Rhodes did. :lol:

FNF
Temporarily Banned

Post by FNF » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 am

If he does the voice he did 10 years ago for Vegeta, It's going to be insta-fail. Vegeta's a prince, not a common street thug. They should know better now like FUNi.
Voltaire: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Other username on forums;
'Cocoman'

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:56 am

FNF wrote:If he does the voice he did 10 years ago for Vegeta, It's going to be insta-fail. Vegeta's a prince, not a common street thug. They should know better now like FUNi.
Well, I was referring to the Westwood dub that AB produced, specifically from the Fusion Saga onwards (where the dub improved greatly). His Vegeta voice in the Westwood dub was slightly different that what he did for the Funimation/Saban dub. However if Drummond wasn't fit for the part he wouldn't be cast. The producers seem to be fairly strict with their castings since Kirby Morrow was told he was "too cool" to be Goku. Also the voice director can have a major influence on the performance and voice that the actors use. Look at Peter Kelamis, in the movies directed by Karl Willems he pulled off a phenomenal performance as Son Goku but in the Westwood dub his performance slipped drastically. His voice was off compared to the movies and the Funimation/Saban dub as well.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:16 am

FNF wrote:If he does the voice he did 10 years ago for Vegeta, It's going to be insta-fail. Vegeta's a prince, not a common street thug. They should know better now like FUNi.
Really? I would say they that the two Vegeta voices actually sound pretty similar.

You can definitely tell them apart, don't get me wrong. In many ways, though, Sabat and Drummond's voices for Vegeta have a lot in common. Especially in the Westwood dub, where Drummond lowered his voice for Vegeta a bit from where he originally had it. The only major difference between the two, voice-wise, was that the pitch for Drummond's voice is noticeably higher than Sabat's. Otherwise they're almost identical. One could certainly argue that there are more noticeable differences in the acting itself, but only comparing the voices, the only major difference is pitch.

Furthermore, I would also say that it depends on what you consider to sound "prince-like."

People have said that Sabat's voice doesn't sound prince-like because it's so gruff, almost like he's growling every single line. I agree that he sounds like that, but one of the reasons I like Sabat's voice for Vegeta is because Vegeta's not just a prince. He's the prince of a race of borderline-savages with a passion for combat and war. Who, for that matter, also have the ability to transform into Oozarus, giant apes dedicated to destruction. So all the gruffness and beast-like qualities in Sabat's Vegeta voice are actually very fitting for a prince of borderline-savage warriors...in my opinion, of course. By extension, since the voices share a lot of aspects, I think Drummond's voice is fitting as well.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:44 am

Sabat's and Drummond's Vegeta voices are definitively similar and going for a particular take on the character. You've got to remember as well that he was only a child when his home planet was blown up. He wasn't treated as a prince from then on save Raditz and Nappa. He spent most of his life traveling from planet to planet fighting. He wouldn't be interested in being tutored by a grammar teacher etc. His princely voice/accent he had as a child would have diminished over time.

As for alternate takes on the voice look at the Big Green and Filipino dubs. The Big Green dub mostly went for stereotypical royal English accent. It was actually fairly good in the later movies but I don't think it was really appropriate because to me it kind of toned down the savage fighter that Vegeta really is.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:13 pm

So in the end there is still no hard evidence of any kind for an update with this dub. :|
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Nope, just McNeil mentioning the dub's existence again. So we can assume it hasn't been canceled.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Not to suggest a stalking operation of any kind, but the best suggestion I can make is to keep track of his con schedule. If he happens to be going to a con in your area, go to the con and ask him a few more pointed (but polite) questions about how far along into the dub they are. He was actually at a con a few weeks ago in Columbus, Ohio, and I moved a freakin' WEEK before the con...had I been there, I totally would have asked him more about the dub!

Of course, he's just an actor, not a producer, so it's entirely possible that he wouldn't have all the info. Wouldn't hurt to ask if any of you have the opportunity, though.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:07 pm

I wonder if this dub will be seen in the UK...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:36 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I wonder if this dub will be seen in the UK...
I suspect it will. One of the things I've kept pointing out is that of all the countries who received an English dub of DBZ on TV (back when DBZ was still airing), the only countries in that group who haven't received a dub of Kai on TV yet...are the same countries that got the Ocean dub of DBZ. I'd be surprised if that's a coincidence. I think the UK, Canada, and the other places that aired the Ocean dub of DBZ are waiting on an Ocean dub of Kai. As in, they know it's coming.
Last edited by TheBlackPaladin on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elcrunkus

Post by elcrunkus » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:02 pm

At this point it seems obvious they are going to dub the entire show before release.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:56 am

elcrunkus wrote:At this point it seems obvious they are going to dub the entire show before release.
No, it's not. This thread started in 2010 and it's almost 2013, they had almost 3 years to dub 98 episodes. I really don't think this is coming out.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:08 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:No, it's not. This thread started in 2010 and it's almost 2013, they had almost 3 years to dub 98 episodes. I really don't think this is coming out.
The same could be said about InuYasha the final act that project started a few months before Ocean Kai was revealed and it took them three years to dub the final act which is only 26 episodes long (three years for only 26 episodes WTF) but that's finally coming out so I would wait a little longer before throwing in the towel on this.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).