Shueisha Reveals The Top Ten All-Time Selling JUMP Comics

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Shueisha Reveals The Top Ten All-Time Selling JUMP Comics

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:33 am

Dragon Ball is in second place with 156, 630,000 copies of its forty-two volumes sold.

Well, that sucks for Dragon Ball.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Re: Shueisha Reveals The Top Ten All-Time Selling JUMP Comic

Post by Shiyonasan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:52 am

No big surprise though. One Piece is definitely Shonen Jump's cream of the crop these days in terms of sales among their series. That jump (no pun intended) from January 2011 to February 2012 for One Piece though is quite astonishing.

I wonder if the movie next year will bump sales up for Dragon Ball, even if just slightly.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:58 am

I'm hoping it will, but the new movie in December might just do that for One Piece more so. This chart is a pretty sad example of how Shueisha, Toei, and Bandai have really failed Dragon Ball in the past decade. One Piece had a 'revival' of its own in 2009 when Strong World came out and began boosting sales this high. By comparison, the revival for Dragon Ball went nowhere.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:04 pm

You beat me to it, I was just about to re-post this here heh.

The gap between Dragon Ball and One Piece's sales is probably at least partially due to One Piece's length, isn't it? I mean, with it being so much longer than Dragon Ball, even if they had completely even popularity, One Piece would pull ahead due to more overall volumes to sell. Even so, I was surprised to see the gap be so big.

On the other hand, Kochikame is even longer than One Piece isn't it? And it's only managed to almost equal Dragon Ball...so it can't be all about series length either I guess. Really wish I could give Kochikame a read though.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:11 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I'm hoping it will, but the new movie in December might just do that for One Piece more so. This chart is a pretty sad example of how Shueisha, Toei, and Bandai have really failed Dragon Ball in the past decade. One Piece had a 'revival' of its own in 2009 when Strong World came out and began boosting sales this high. By comparison, the revival for Dragon Ball went nowhere.
Can a series have a "revival" if it's still going?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Length has one part to play (One Piece is currently sixty-seven volumes long with enough material for sixty-nine volumes published), but over all handling of the projects has to be taken into consideration, too. One Piece had the surge from 2009/2010 to give it this big a lead, despite running for a decade (and now a decade and a half). Dragon Ball is nearly thirty years old, on the other hand, and hasn't had much in the way of a big revitalization, outside of 2002/2003's re-packagings.
B wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I'm hoping it will, but the new movie in December might just do that for One Piece more so. This chart is a pretty sad example of how Shueisha, Toei, and Bandai have really failed Dragon Ball in the past decade. One Piece had a 'revival' of its own in 2009 when Strong World came out and began boosting sales this high. By comparison, the revival for Dragon Ball went nowhere.
Can a series have a "revival" if it's still going?
If you're a long running series, I'd say yes. I did use 'revival' for a lack of a better term at the time, although I suppose 'surge' might work better in hindsight.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: On the other hand, Kochikame is even longer than One Piece isn't it?
Quite a bit. 182 volumes to date, and has been running since 1976.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:18 pm

Is that volumes in Japan or volumes worldwide?

I'm just asking because One Piece isn't as popular worldwide as Dragon Ball.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:48 pm

I mean... it's been +15 years since DB ended. Ended.

We can all agree that while the "Big Three" are still going, Naruto and Bleach fell behind thanks to a bad case of "Going-Nowhere" syndrome. I haven't read One Piece, but I've heard the latest chapter do indeed deliver.

First time I have read about Kochikame though.... *search images* Oh.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:52 pm

soulnova wrote:I mean... it's been +15 years since DB ended. Ended.

We can all agree that while the "Big Three" are still going, Naruto and Bleach fell behind thanks to a bad case of "Going-Nowhere" syndrome. I haven't read One Piece, but I've heard the latest chapter do indeed deliver.

'Going-Nowhere'? Naruto and Bleach are both in their final arcs, with Naruto likely to end in the next two years. One Piece, on the other hand, seeks to agonize for another decade.
She/Her
bisexual milf

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
soulnova wrote:I mean... it's been +15 years since DB ended. Ended.

'Going-Nowhere'? Naruto and Bleach are both in their final arcs, with Naruto likely to end in the next two years. One Piece, on the other hand, seeks to agonize for another decade.
All I know is the Bleach anime isn't going anywhere. :P
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:17 pm

JulieYBM wrote:'Going-Nowhere'? Naruto and Bleach are both in their final arcs, with Naruto likely to end in the next two years. One Piece, on the other hand, seeks to agonize for another decade.
Another 2 years for Naruto? Good thing I don't watch Naruto, it has way too many episodes like One Piece.

Will One Piece reach more than a 1000+ episodes? It'll enter the league of long-running series such as Doraemon, Shin-chan and other Japanese animated shows.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:26 pm

All I know is the Bleach anime isn't going anywhere.

Because it's finished?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 pm

penguintruth wrote:Is that volumes in Japan or volumes worldwide?

I'm guessing it's just Japan. Do wonder what the list would be for US sales though.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:45 pm

penguintruth wrote:Is that volumes in Japan or volumes worldwide?

It's just Japan. Worldwide, according to the new film's teaser, Dragon Ball has amassed 230 million copies.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:04 am

*Looks at list*; YYH - watched a good chunk of on Toonami/Funi Channel, RK - own and read the VizBigs, only seen a few eps though, HXH - has not read or watched, Jojo's - has not read or watched, Bleach - only read the first arc (up to Aizen's reveal as a bad guy), haven't watched any, Slam Dunk - has not read or watched, Naruto - read only a bit, watched up to somewhere during that chuunin exam and dropped it, Kochikame - only read the DB Crossover chapter, haven't watched any of it, DB - read/watched/own, OP - read almost all of it (I think I skipped a good chunk of Thriller Bark though) watched some of it but has seen all the movies for it.

So yeah, I guess I can say I've only really followed 4 of the top 10 (all to varying degrees); the bottom two and the top two.

As for One Piece's monster-success, well, from what I've read, Oda seems like a really cool guy who's super-passionate about his work, has a good grasp for slow-burn strength building, and is big on world-building so, go Oda.

I'm only a casual One Piece fan though. I read the manga and follow the podcast, but that's about it. And while I know there's a lot of background stuff going on in One Piece's world (like World Gov stuff and Marine stuff) I just can't bring myself to care enough to pay attention to it. I just like watching the Straw Hats go on adventures; they're a fun group.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

chaosakita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chaosakita » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:37 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:

Because it's finished?
More like cancelled. Finished implies that they ended where they wanted to.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:31 am

As expected. One Piece has been shattering manga sales records for the past two years.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:53 am

fps_anth wrote:As expected. One Piece has been shattering manga sales records for the past two years.
In Japan.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:30 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:

Because it's finished?
It's been put on hiatus because the recent filler arc was critically panned.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.