Kai Continues Outside Japan

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Kai Continues Outside Japan

Post by kei17 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:42 am

On Mayumi Tanaka's official blog, she has revealed that they're recording for the Buu arc of Kai which is going to be broadcast outside Japan. She says that now they're doing episodes in which Goten and Trunks try to participate in Tenkaichi-budokai as Mighty Mask.

http://hamayoshi.exblog.jp/16740082/
http://megalodon.jp/2012-1106-1830-41/h ... /16740082/ (cache)

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Re: Kai Continues Outside Japan

Post by songohan619 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:58 am

YES!

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:55 am

Wow! Amazing!

Great timing considering the new movie will be coming out probably around the time of the broadcast.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:58 am

Wow, I never thought they'd actually do something with the franchise based on the popularity overseas. Glad Kai's success in other parts of the world is leading to it being continued, and I'm really interested to see how the Boo arc turns out.
­

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:51 am

Maybe this is why the Ocean Kai is taking a long time. I guess they're waiting until Toei finishes producing the Buu arc.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:56 am

WOW... I hoped this would happen, and thought maybe it would be possible due to it's seeming success on Nicktoons and such, but I honestly never expected it, or at least, I thought if it would happen it might be in compilation films of sorts. :shock:

I'm worried about FUNimation going after it though, as last I hear Kai was doing poorly for them.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:09 am

News update with translation of Mayumi Tanaka's blog entry:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/11/06/dr ... -in-japan/
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:18 am

Hopefully they sort out something for the music rather than just recycling more Kikuchi.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 am

Oh, this is cool. I really hope Funimation dubs it. I'd absolutely love to get the Boo arc redubbed.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:56 am

This better be better than the actual Kai was and with Takaki music or different Kikuchi with more variety of BGMs.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 am

Dreams DO come true!

So... it's supposedly not airing in Japan, but the Japanese cast is still recording for it? What does that mean, direct-to-video Japanese releases?

So long as we eventually get a newly-dubbed English Majin Boo arc out of it from FUNimation, I guess I don't really care!
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:05 am

Better news than the election results if you ask me! :lol: Now maybe I'll get around to actually collecting Kai now (since all of Z will actually be finished.)
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:12 am

So, after not posting in this account for years, it now works again... Weird.

Anyways, regarding the whole news that Dragonball Kai is continuing, but only overseas, this is not entirely unusual for them to record a Japanese audio track for the show. In fact, this happened with (to my knowledge) Ultimate Muscle. Toei recorded the tracks, but it took several years before they finished broadcast of that in Japan. Sonic X is another example of producing a Japanese audio track for additional episodes, but ultimately never getting released in Japan until a few years back. This time by TMS. We had access to the audio due to Taiwan releasing the series bilingual on video. Scan2Go, done by D-Rights and SynergySP, is another situation where the show was produced in Japanese, but was not released in Japan and a Japanese audio track was produced for it. This still has not been released over there, as of yet, however.

As to why they do it? Probably in the intent of maybe releasing it in the future, if they so choose to. That and they are the ones producing the show, so I'm guessing it makes sense to record a local audio track first. But hey, I'm not a business man, so this is only speculation.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:13 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:Better news than the election results if you ask me! :lol: Now maybe I'll get around to actually collecting Kai now (since all of Z will actually be finished.)
It's probably another rushed work like Kai was. Hopefully it'll look good in HD.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 am

*squeals in glee*

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:36 am

This is unexpected, but welcome, news. It'll be nice to have a "complete" Kai. But now I totally see Nicktoons calling the Boo arc "The Lost Saga" or something like that.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:37 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:It's probably another rushed work like Kai was. Hopefully it'll look good in HD.
True. I still want to see it, because now at least they're finishing Z. And they could easily re-edit the entire Buu arc into 50 episodes or less, whereas it was like 90-ish episodes in the original DBZ.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:41 am

Excellent news! I honestly wouldn't have started buying Kai in the first place if I had known it would be incomplete, ending after the Cell Games. I hope Funimation dubs and releases this consistent with their original run of Kai. I have Vol. 1 - 8 on Blu-ray, and I hope I can start getting future Buu volumes sooner rather than later!
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:44 am

*tapdances* NOW I DON'T HAVE TO FEEL BAD ABOUT NOT DOING THE UNOFFICIAL KAI BUU ARC!

Hmmm Nicktoons broadcasting it would be out of place since Kai was ended for awhile and they only have about 5 episodes of GT left. Makes sense why the Buu arc was never broadcasted, they weren't sure if the Kai version would come out.

My predictions:

- Remastered Kikuchi tracks
- Kikuchi actually makes some new tracks
- New score

Really hoping for the latter 2, especially the last one. Just to keep it fresh.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:00 am

Well, recording Japanese dialogue that won't be broadcast in Japan--while very rare--isn't unheard of. That happened with "Sonic X."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."