It Would've Been Helpful If Future Trunks....

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gohan2k
Beyond Newbie

It Would've Been Helpful If Future Trunks....

Post by gohan2k » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Am re-watching the Android arc at the moment and the thought occurred to me that it's strange that at no point when warning Goku about the androids he doesn't mention a very important piece of information....

....that you can't sense the ki of androids.

This proves to cause a great deal of difficulty when they do show up as although they're on the island where Trunks said they'd show up they wait to sense their ki before they do anything and it takes a while before they figure it out.

Having said that it's also not helpful he didn't tell them what the androids looked like although having said that it wouldn't been any good because they ended up being different.

But still it's not like Trunks had a time limit or anything. More information would only have helped!!
[quote="TripleRach"]I don't like Vegeta much. He spends most of the series as a whiny bitch.[/quote]

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: It Would've Been Helpful If Future Trunks....

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:03 pm

I chalk this up to two things in the end.

1) Toriyama hadn't come up with that plot point yet when he first came up the Androids, and/or...
2) It was to drive up the tension. Everyone trains for the Androids, they're ready to face them down with all they've got...but wait, they don't seem to be actually showing up. Was it all a trick? Maybe there's no threat at a - HOLY CRAP they're attacking, they're insanely strong, but we can't even sense them! That's the feeling I figure Toriyama was going for.

As for an in-world explanation, I can't come up with one for why Trunks wouldn't have thought to mention this, outside of maybe the more information he gave, the more 'meddling with the timeline' he thought might occur, or...something.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:13 pm

I guess it slipped his mind and later he figured they'd make the connection that they aren't organic and therefore won't have Ki (they can sense).

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Those were little things he took for a given.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Yeah, he's spent his entire life dealing with them, so it probably never crossed his mind that they wouldn't realize right away that they have no sensible energy. As for descriptions, it's a good thing he didn't, as that would have completely screwed up the plot once 17 and 18 were introduced, since 19 and 20 were originally intended by Toriyama to be the Androids Trunks was talking about.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:35 pm

Well, no more so than explicitly referring to them to Goku as #19 and #20... which he does.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, no more so than explicitly referring to them to Goku as #19 and #20... which he does.
Though the Anime has him not refer to their names.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:37 pm

matt0044 wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, no more so than explicitly referring to them to Goku as #19 and #20... which he does.
Though the Anime has him not refer to their names.
Because of this, I was disappointed when I read that part of the manga. It was the same feeling as when I read:

Kame-Sennin: I got that cloud from Kami-sama himself!
and
Saiyan arc Vegeta: I am the strongest warrior in the universe!

By the way, did that get fixed in the Kanzenbans?

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:54 pm

Trunks's reference to the initial Androids is still in the Kanzenban.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:25 pm

Trunks probably just forgot and may’ve figured, being the son of a genius inventor of science and robots, that Androids not having ki was a given. As for why he didn’t describe the appearance of the Androids, I guess it just slipped his mind, or maybe he just thought that they’d figure it out for themselves. They all have RRA logos on their clothes, after all.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Considering Trunks was working with second hand info anyway, he probably figured the androids would have made themselves noticed when they appeared (i.e. wrecking the city as opposed to walking around as seen in the manga). And not having the foreknowledge of the different androids, would not feel the need to describe them.

If that's the case, they [the androids] would draw attention to themselves and would be easy to locate for Goku and company. They would see what they looked like and wouldn't sense their ki all at once, and realize it was the disturbance that helped locate them.
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:20 am

Fizzer wrote:Kame-Sennin: I got that cloud from Kami-sama himself!
and
Saiyan arc Vegeta: I am the strongest warrior in the universe!
1. He got it from Karin but who knows if Kami-sama didn't have a hand in it. Roshi got the Nyoi-bo that lead to the Lookout too. Kami might not've let him get it so easily.

2. Vegeta was very arrogant then and he probably wanted to intimidate Goku and/or amaze him. What he didn't know wouldn't hurt him. That and he HATED Freeza.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:18 am

Did Trunks ever make comments on Ki prior to his ROSAT training? I guess it's likely he did when Cell first appeared.

Otherwise I'd say it was possible he never learned how to sense it. Gohan probably wasn't an ideal master, and it wouldn't have been a priority since they were at the mercy of enemies that lacked it.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:06 am

During the Trunks future chapter, he mentions how he can't sense Gohan's Chi when he wakes up.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:18 am

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:During the Trunks future chapter, he mentions how he can't sense Gohan's Chi when he wakes up.
Grasping at straws now: Is it possible he could only sense Gohan's ki, and not the ki of others? Could that possibly happen?

Gohan's was the only large ki (aside from his own) left on the planet, so it would have to be easier to sense. Even though the Artificial Humans were just as strong and he couldn't sense them, he may have just never put two and two together.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:59 pm

Hmmm...I don't think so. Trunks seems to have no trouble sensing the others when he arrives back during his 2nd trip. He was able to sense Piccolo while he was fighting #20, and he also appeared to sense the newly merged Piccolo before Krillin even noticed his Chi. I'm guessing Gohan probably told Trunks the Androids couldn't be sensed because their powers were artificial, or he probably came to the conclusion on his own when he learned they had an infinite energy supply.

Zeshen

Post by Zeshen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:53 am

Personally,

I like to think of the "destruction factor." Trunks didn't relay the info to Goku and Company, because he assumed it would be obvious when the androids attacked and started destroying the city. The fact that the androids of this timeline were "Energy Absorbing" models (AH-19 and AH-20), and that wanted to remain inconspicuous (as was indicated by their mannerisms at first), was just a side effect of Future Trunks coming into the past. Therefore that is what caught everyone off-guard and caused them to realize that Future Trunks should have told them about their description and stuff.

I find it odd that no one was keeping an eye on each others ki, before Yamucha was nearly killed. If they had been watching him more closely, you can assume they would have realized his ki was dropping and gotten to him before the hole in his chest.
3DS Name: Zesh
IGN: (X Zesh) (Y Ysabella) (AS Zesh)
TSV: 0052 X | 2313 Y | 1598 X | 1943 AS
3DS FC: 4184-3072-1366
PSN - ZeshenV (PS3)