Music for Kai Buu saga

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Music for Kai Buu saga

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:24 pm

Anyone know if the soundtrack is going to be a new one or are they using Kikuchi?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Music for Kai Buu saga

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:45 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote:Anyone know if the soundtrack is going to be a new one or are they using Kikuchi?
We do not know. Rest assured, you'll be able to read all the news about it when it's produced and announced right here on the website.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:10 pm

Better to consider it could be any of these three: Kikuchi, Kishi or Takaki. Dammit, it was almost all K's only. :P

I'm hoping for brand new composed Kikuchi tracks. Can't expect much or be excited because it's Kai and Toei Animation.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Xiao Long Li

Post by Xiao Long Li » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:44 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I'm hoping for brand new composed Kikuchi tracks. Can't expect much or be excited because it's Kai and Toei Animation.
This is, sadly, very true. xD

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:03 am

It'll all be Electric Light Orchestra.

Sort of a Xanadu meets DBZ blend.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:05 am

They need to use Battle Commando's (Whoever is that) tracks. I mean the ones from DBZ Gaiden ova.

It would be really awesome.

Xagani
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Xagani » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:56 pm

I hope it will be Kikuchi since I would like things to be somewhat consistent. However, they already have Kikuchi's music at their disposal, so why wouldn't they use it? Especially considering what happened with Yamamoto. It's safe to say that Toei feels comfortable with Kikuchi rather than try for a new composer. After all, this won't be airing in Japan so I doubt they (Toei) care.
"If I tried to re-create the original voice I think I would run the risk of hitting a note so high that I may not be able to have children in future life." - Peter Kelamis

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:06 pm

If they get Kikuchi in for Battle of Gods, perhaps they could use some tracks from the movie in addition to the back catalogue?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:11 pm

They used Takaki for all recent productions that didn't include an emergency replacement, so I'm gonna go and hope that they choose him, along with his previous tracks so that they'll end up on a CD. (finally!)
That would give them a good reason to release a new OST and get money out of it.

I guess Kikuchi could be a good choice too if it's all new tracks and if he has kept his evolution okay: much as I hate his score for most of the show, all the tracks he created for the Majin Boo arc were suddenly very charming and quite delightful! 8)

Anyway, I don't want the old score, I want a new interpretation for the modern show that Kai is to be, and a whole new music helps the sense of reinterpretation and rediscovery.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Though Takaki did good jobs for PtEtSSJ and UT cutscenes, I want someone new because Takaki is nothing but a makeshift pinch hitter chosen through a personal connection. He studied music under Kentaro Haneda, who also taught Yamamoto, and they once all worked as a team for the Super Sentai series, so I guess that's the reason why he was hired. I want them to choose a new, excellent composer on the basis of ability.

Of course, just reusing the Kikuchi score would be more than enough.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:14 pm

They'll probably just re-use the Kikuchi score. There's really no reason to compose new music at this point, espicially for a title being made for international release.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Xagani
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Xagani » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:27 pm

JulieYBM wrote:They'll probably just re-use the Kikuchi score. There's really no reason to compose new music at this point, espicially for a title being made for international release.
That's exactly my point. Why would they go through the time and money to compose new tracks for something that they found not to be a success (In Japan) and are continuing it purely for the international market?
"If I tried to re-create the original voice I think I would run the risk of hitting a note so high that I may not be able to have children in future life." - Peter Kelamis

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:29 pm

If they use solely Dragon Ball Z BGM Collection - Majin Buu BGMs I won't have a reason to complain, I loved the BGMs and they won't be overused to death like it happened with Cell's BGM from the Saiyan saga to Cell's. :)
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:42 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:If they use solely Dragon Ball Z BGM Collection - Majin Buu BGMs I won't have a reason to complain, I loved the BGMs and they won't be overused to death like it happened with Cell's BGM from the Saiyan saga to Cell's. :)
I can only hope they use more than just one recurring piece over and over.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:58 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Watch (1.2) !! They had the chance to use Shunsuke Kikuchi but they didn't use him . So they did choose the latest music score for ''Dragonball Series'' .

Which means ... Buu Saga without Shunsuke Kikuchi ?
I think It's just that they used a cheaper score because EoB obviously was a budget production. Kikuchi's music is owned by various right holders such as Fuji TV, Toei Animation, Columbia Japan, and Kikuchi himself, so it must be far more expensive to use.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:39 pm

The thing is that if it's not aired in Japan, we're not about to know anytime soon.

If it did air, then they would have more than enough episodes ready to start right now, and all questions would find answers.
But since it's not the case, we'll only have the product once all episodes have been completed and acquired by international owners of the show, who will then proceed to make their local new dub before releasing it.

I hope the Japanese dub team will end up convincing them to air in Japan (or perhaps a big success for Battle of Gods will convince them)...
Because otherwise, I'm afraid we have a looooong time to wait ahead of us (years?).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:01 pm

kei17 wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:Watch (1.2) !! They had the chance to use Shunsuke Kikuchi but they didn't use him . So they did choose the latest music score for ''Dragonball Series'' .

Which means ... Buu Saga without Shunsuke Kikuchi ?
I think It's just that they used a cheaper score because EoB obviously was a budget production. Kikuchi's music is owned by various right holders such as Fuji TV, Toei Animation, Columbia Japan, and Kikuchi himself, so it must be far more expensive to use.
I'm kind of surprised Toei allowed for the music to be split across so many rights holders. Considering how vast the library is an how important it is I'm surprised they haven't tried to buy the rights to consolidate under their one roof.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Because otherwise, I'm afraid we have a looooong time to wait ahead of us (years?).
I doubt it'll be that long. If Funimation does keep the rights to Dragon Ball in the US (which I'm sure they will), they'll probably start on the dubbing pretty quickly. I'd imagine in the next few months, if they aren't already.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:07 pm

The soundtrack will be this on loop for the entire fifty-something episodes.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock: