A Question for dub fans.

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: A Question for dub fans.

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Question for dub fans, but I guess I'll answer anyway.

It's something of a pain, but I usually just don't end up engaging people in DB conversations in public anymore for that very reason. I just try to slink away. And then when someone brings up that I am a huge fan, it really makes me feel awkward. Invariably, anyone who brings it up will be a dub fan and start asking me how I felt about dub-specific things that I either don't know about or know are flat-out wrong. I don't want to be the guy who spoils the party, but I also can't force myself to *not* use the correct terminology, so invariably it does end up not being fun for anybody. I'm sure dub fans will disagree or find it a slight, but it does make it feel like a completely different series. It might as well be a group talking about Supernatural who find out I like Dragon Ball, and assume I'm a great fit to join their conversation. And believe me, I wish I could. It reminds me of the podcast episode with the DB fan club leader, which brought me to the unpleasant conclusion that I probably wouldn't be able to integrate into their club. And I was right, since, much to my regret, the conversation quickly devolved into a fight as soon as I brought up that thought.

So, yeah, I don't change my terminology. I just don't talk DB much outside of this forum anymore. =P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:It reminds me of the podcast episode with the DB fan club leader, which brought me to the unpleasant conclusion that I probably wouldn't be able to integrate into their club. And I was right, since, much to my regret, the conversation quickly devolved into a fight as
What episode of the podcast was that?

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:25 am

ringworm128 wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:It reminds me of the podcast episode with the DB fan club leader, which brought me to the unpleasant conclusion that I probably wouldn't be able to integrate into their club. And I was right, since, much to my regret, the conversation quickly devolved into a fight as
What episode of the podcast was that?
Episode 212, so fairly recent:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 13&t=12869

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Not particularly. I still prefer a lot of the dub terms/names over the JP originals, for various reasons. Though, with the like of Satan, I freely alternate between Mr. Satan, Hercule, and (when I know people will understand who I'm talking about) Mark. :P
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:26 pm

I tend to stick with the Japanese terms most of the time. Some times I will use the dub names if I'm too lazy to write it. I like sites like this because most sites with DB fans never watch the Japanese version. I remember one person on Toho Kingdom had no idea who was Tullece until I pointed it out.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:35 am

I use the dub terms. If I don't get filtered, cool. If I do, meh. I just remember the dub terms better (and I don't have a fantastic memory to begin with). They're stuck in my head from childhood. There have actually been times when I've had to remind myself of the original name for a technique or something. I also used to type diacritics when I was using the Japanese names, thinking I was learned or some crap. Now, I'm like, "Fuck it. I'll do what feels natural when it comes to writing."

Incidentally, what was the rationale for the filter? It's been quite a while since I was on this board and I seem to recall it was (rather implausibly) to avoid confusion. I'd just like some clarification on that.

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:20 am

I dispair slightly that whenever the possibility of a conversation between dub and sub fans comes up, rather than being excited by being able to talk about how they felt when Gohan turned Super Saiyan 2, or laughing at the driving school episode, or talking about how sometimes the animation was awesome and sometimes it was terrible, all everyone does is stand around going "but what happens if they pronounce Saiyan wrong! How will we cope!?"

There's a world of difference between "wow, remember the early episodes, when the writers would get so much stuff wrong? Like saying Goku's dad was a famous scientist? WTF, am I right?" and "er, I think you'll find that his name is actually Kuririn, and not Krillin, you lower life form you."

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:35 am

LiamKav wrote:I dispair slightly that whenever the possibility of a conversation between dub and sub fans comes up, rather than being excited by being able to talk about how they felt when Gohan turned Super Saiyan 2, or laughing at the driving school episode, or talking about how sometimes the animation was awesome and sometimes it was terrible, all everyone does is stand around going "but what happens if they pronounce Saiyan wrong! How will we cope!?"

There's a world of difference between "wow, remember the early episodes, when the writers would get so much stuff wrong? Like saying Goku's dad was a famous scientist? WTF, am I right?" and "er, I think you'll find that his name is actually Kuririn, and not Krillin, you lower life form you."
Yeah, that's always a fun experience, and to this day it has the ability to send me into 'dub/dub fan defense mode' easily. But thankfully that kind of thing seems to have lessened a LOT in recent years. I think Kai actually has helped there a bit.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LiamKav » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:11 am

(I should add that it's equally unpleasant the other way, when a dub fan starts with "I don't care about the gay Japanese version with it's gayness and stupid gay Jap stuff". Basically, I'm saying celebrate what's the same, laught at the differences, don't be a dick.)