"Something Cool" Relating to FUNi's Dragon Boxes Next Year?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: "Something Cool" Relating to FUNi's Dragon Boxes Next Ye

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:16 pm

I voted for DBox ZA MOVIES when that poll first came up and I'm still awaiting any results. I can see why people want the original DB, but I always think that the Movies gain a lot more from the DBox treatment than the TV series do.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:08 pm

The problem with a movie DBox is... well, a lot of the movies are really terrible. Is it worth to buy a set of ALL of the movies just to get the ones you want? I definitely want DBZ Movies 1, 9, 12, and 13, but I could do without pretty much everything else. I'd hate to give any money towards those Broly movies.

This is where we need DBox singles, the movies.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:18 pm

penguintruth wrote:The problem with a movie DBox is... well, a lot of the movies are really terrible. Is it worth to buy a set of ALL of the movies just to get the ones you want? I definitely want DBZ Movies 1, 9, 12, and 13, but I could do without pretty much everything else. I'd hate to give any money towards those Broly movies.

This is where we need DBox singles, the movies.
I guess it's just nice to have a collection of well restored, well animated (for the most part) feature films (and it doesn't hurt that they're not too long either). I wouldn't mind owning maybe the first Broli film DBOX quality... maybe even the second? Bio Broli will likely never get viewed though, unless I just marathon the movies. I kinda' have a place in my heart for all the movies... except movie 11.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:23 pm

True, the movies would look beautiful in Dragon Box form, and I happen to love most of them, but Dragon Ball was set to be released again next year anyway so my hopes are for that. The movies should be easier to release, so who knows. This new movie gives FUNimation perfect timing to release something that would appeal to the more hardcore fan base. Seams the market could be ripe for another Dragon Box release! I know it is here.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:26 pm

dprez wrote:I'm hoping for another Dragon Box release. I don't mind if it's the movies, but I prefer to have the entire TV series in Dragon Box form.

Yes, this is a great time to be a Dragon Ball fan! :D
HEY, DPREZ!

I agree. This is a great time to be a DB fan. Even if it's a re-release of the DBZ Dragon Boxes, most fans would still be a-static.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:27 pm

I hope they'll wait to include movie 14 in the movie DBox.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:29 pm

AgitoZ wrote:I voted for DBox ZA MOVIES when that poll first came up and I'm still awaiting any results. I can see why people want the original DB, but I always think that the Movies gain a lot more from the DBox treatment than the TV series do.
This is true. Upscaled, these movies looks excellent on modern TV's. I have done some minor experiments with Upscaling scripts and they usually fare very well.
Though, as I've said before I'd wish FUNimation would do a restoration akin to what they did with the Level sets for the movies. I'm curious what FUNimation's output would be up against the DBox restoration. I'm more up to buying on BD than DVD's nowadays, that my reason for usually suggesting HD releases over SD.
Fizzer wrote:I hope they'll wait to include movie 14 in the movie DBox.
The Dragon Ball Anniversary movie?

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:
Wouldn't that be DB movie 4? I mean the upcoming movie in 2013, which will be the 14th Z movie.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:35 pm

I doubt it's just a re-release of the Z Dragon Box. I feel like we're gonna get something new, and they must know another limited release of Dragon Boxes should sell right now. This new movie has created a stir in the Dragon Ball fan base, they will take advantage and release something that appeals to the same people who purchased the Z Dragon Boxes.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:36 pm

Fizzer wrote:
Krycek7o2 wrote:
Wouldn't that be DB movie 4? I mean the upcoming movie in 2013, which will be the 14th Z movie.
The Anniversary film, I believe was not really a "4th" DB film, it was just marketed that way by FUNi.
And how would they include the new movie? When it's won't be out for the US until at the very least early 2014.
dprez wrote:I doubt it's just a re-release of the Z Dragon Box. I feel like we're gonna get something new, and they must know another limited release of Dragon Boxes should sell right now. This new movie has created a stir in the Dragon Ball fan base, they will take advantage and release something that appeals to the same people who purchased the Z Dragon Boxes.
This is the reason why I believe it'll be "The Movies" set. The Z portion at least, since lets be honest, DBZ is the more popular series.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:
dprez wrote:I doubt it's just a re-release of the Z Dragon Box. I feel like we're gonna get something new, and they must know another limited release of Dragon Boxes should sell right now. This new movie has created a stir in the Dragon Ball fan base, they will take advantage and release something that appeals to the same people who purchased the Z Dragon Boxes.
This is the reason why I believe it'll be "The Movies" set. The Z portion at least, since lets be honest, DBZ is the more popular series.
I agree. What I want is the original anime, but what I think we're gonna get are the movies. I just hope FUNimation really (happily)surprises me this time...

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:44 pm

dprez wrote:
Krycek7o2 wrote:
I agree. What I want is the original anime, but what I think we're gonna get are the movies. I just hope FUNimation really surprises me this time...
We can only hope. I would love the original series in Dragon Box or Level releases. It's sad, but I'm actually a little bored with just DBZ be re-released over and over again. Thankfully the new movie will breath new life in to the franchise.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:33 pm

I'm with Penguintruth; Movie singles with DBOX footage would be ideal.

Of course, the most ideal would be the first TV series. The blue bricks are nice, but we are missing a lot of openings and endings.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:44 pm

I have to disagree, singles would probably...not be the best idea. Not for re-releases, when they've all been out for years now, and have been collected into box sets a lot before now. Doing them in singles again could lead to bad sales.

If you don't want to watch the movies you don't like, it's as easy as not popping them in. But I'm a completionist, so I can't even imagine not having all of the movies on my shelf anyway. Yes, even Evolution...

Ironically enough though, it's the first Broly movie I'm watching on Nicktoons at the moment heh.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:38 am

Yeah, crappy versions have been available for years. I'm talking about DBox quality.

I'm not going to buy a box of four or five movies I like and six or seven that make me want to plunge a spear through my skull. Have you rewatched these things lately? TeamFourStar should get a Nobel Peace Prize for making some of those shit bombs tolerable.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:16 am

penguintruth wrote:Yeah, crappy versions have been available for years. I'm talking about DBox quality.

I'm not going to buy a box of four or five movies I like and six or seven that make me want to plunge a spear through my skull. Have you rewatched these things lately? TeamFourStar should get a Nobel Peace Prize for making some of those shit bombs tolerable.
LMAO!! :lol:

The movies are trainwrecks. I did enjoy the Garlic Jr. one very much though from what I remember.

I could care less about the movies, I really hope they release a Dragon Ball Dragon Box.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:37 am

penguintruth wrote:Yeah, crappy versions have been available for years. I'm talking about DBox quality.

That's just it though, DBox quality or not, this would be a re-release. Hell, for some movies, it'd be a re-re-re-re-re-RELEASE. Doing singles of something that's already been available in box sets before just doesn't seem like the most prudent business plan to me.

Then again, they did attempt new singles of the movies after the Double Features, so...who knows.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:52 am

I would also be in for DragonBall Blu-Ray Discs! :D I would buy them instantly.
The thing that saddens me however, is the discontinued DBZ Levels, their quality was just superb, it would be sad if DB can't measure up to them. Heck, please continue the DragonBall Z levels FUNi, find some way to fund them!

T_T I want the complete DBZ with fillers.

Hope for DB Z GT to go on Blu-ray disc.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 pm

sbk wrote:The movies are trainwrecks. I did enjoy the Garlic Jr. one very much though from what I remember.

I could care less about the movies, I really hope they release a Dragon Ball Dragon Box.
Bold statement, some of the Dragon Ball movies are really good. Well animated, with cool new characters, short enough to keep your attention, but long enough for you to feel it was more than a well animated episode. Some of them have really cool stories too (like movie 13).
I think "trainwrecks" is a bit over the top (like, really over the top). Personally, I consider the anime to be a waste of time in you own the manga, so it's all about what you want from the series.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Rory wrote:
sbk wrote:The movies are trainwrecks. I did enjoy the Garlic Jr. one very much though from what I remember.

Bold statement, some of the Dragon Ball movies are really good. Well animated, with cool new characters, short enough to keep your attention, but long enough for you to feel it was more than a well animated episode. Some of them have really cool stories too (like movie 13).
I think "trainwrecks" is a bit over the top (like, really over the top). Personally, I consider the anime to be a waste of time in you own the manga, so it's all about what you want from the series.
They're guilty pleasures. At least to me. I go in watching and enjoying the mayhem that erupts in those 40-70 minutes. They are pure popcorn fun that doesn't give you a headache.