DBZKai comes to the UK

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LiamKav
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: DBZKai comes to the UK

Post by LiamKav » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:13 pm

This is a country that by the time of the Buu saga had changed Goku's voice actor 5 times, using 4 different actors. Gohan too, although one of them can be excused by his aging.

I don't think another voice can make things much worse.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:15 pm

DanTheBib wrote:True. I just don't really see the point.

And I'm with you on the DVD/Blu-ray front. As we've had FUNi box sets, it seems odd that they'd broadcast/release another version which would just add to confusion/piss people off who purchase it thinking it's one dub, and then they get another.
The Tori-bot said that the UK Orange Bricks are HMV-exclusives, so unless someone visits just to purchase them it won't be found anywhere else in UK, in terms of stores.

I'm really hoping it's the Ocean Dub Kai or else I won't bother turning on the TV for Kai.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:55 am

Wasn't it supposed to air this month? It's almost December and still nothing.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:41 am

Toei's site said it should air this month. I'm thinking maybe dec? Still no official word on ocean nor a trailer. very odd.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:23 am

I'm starting to worry the Ocean dub of Kai will end up as the Duke Nukem Forever/Half Life 3 of DB.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:54 am

ringworm128 wrote:I'm starting to worry the Ocean dub of Kai will end up as the Duke Nukem Forever/Half Life 3 of DB.
1) Duke Nukem Crapever was in development for years but the final product was terrible, no evidence here that the same will happen.

2) Valve has never released a third game of any of their franchises, so you can't criticise them for something they've never done. Instead, they have always stopped by the second game.

Half-Life 2
Team Fortress 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Portal 2
DotA 2
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:45 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:DotA 2
DotA 2 is a stand-alone game and the only one Valve worked on. The original DotA was a gametype mod for Warcraft 3.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:32 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
ringworm128 wrote:I'm starting to worry the Ocean dub of Kai will end up as the Duke Nukem Forever/Half Life 3 of DB.
1) Duke Nukem Crapever was in development for years but the final product was terrible, no evidence here that the same will happen.

2) Valve has never released a third game of any of their franchises, so you can't criticise them for something they've never done. Instead, they have always stopped by the second game.

Half-Life 2
Team Fortress 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Portal 2
DotA 2
TBH I've never played DN or HF or even really paid attention to those games all I know is that they are famous for taking ages to be released.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:23 am

The mainline Half-Life series also has the first game, the second game, and then two "Episodes" going off the second game, which might as well just be considered full games in and of themselves.

The two Left 4 Dead games were released within a year of each other. The second game has been added to extensively with extra maps, missions, returning characters, etc. It and Team Fortress 2 are well-supported games with countless upgrades that may as well be considered different games from when they launched.

None of these examples make any sense for your argument (and silly, forced word insertions like "Crapever" don't get you off to a good start, either :P).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:26 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:Toei's site said it should air this month. I'm thinking maybe dec? Still no official word on ocean nor a trailer. very odd.
Yeah, that is weird. Maybe they meant like, "within a month's period of time," or something like that.

*shrugs*
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:14 pm

This is the Kix! schedule for the 10th of December, still no sign of DBZ Kai: http://www.kixtv.co.uk/whats-on/index.a ... 10/12/2012

Credit to madged1 on UKDB for this information:
http://content.yudu.com/A1zkwg/TNNov201 ... ces/58.htm
This is the digital copy of Toynews magazine which semms to be a magazine aimed at Toy Companies. It says that DBZ Kai is to launch in Q1 2013. However this was released before Toei's announcement. http://www.toynews-online.biz/digital-edition
By the looks of things the magazine has a more accurate window of when the show will air due to it being aimed at potential companies for advertising. This is my opinion of what could have happened. Toei gave CSC Media the TV license for Kai in late October/early November. CSC Media tells Toei they hope to get the series out as soon as they can maybe by the end of November. That or more probable Toei jumped the gun and released this statement too early, it mentions 'this month' rather than November so it could really be any month, its subjective to when the statement is released, therefore it's entirely possible that they made a mistake and released this information too soon. It should also be noted that the native language of the site is French, and this is what the article was most likely written in. CSC should just come out and say they are releasing the show and build some hype leading up to DBZ Kai's release.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Oh, I see. That makes much more sense, so thanks for digging that up!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Thanks for that. Kix! seems like a nice free channel worth watching with decent content, so I'll just need to get an antenna for it.

Whatever dub it is just bring it, as it'd fill up 20 mins.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Well..............somebody could email Toei or CSX Media and ask what's up...........just a thought.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Subzero Ice

Post by Subzero Ice » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:06 pm

CSC Media didn't have any plans to broadcast Dragon Ball Kai this month, not sure why Toei Animation's website claimed so.

Super Gazellian
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Gazellian » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:31 pm

Man I really hope it's not aired on kix. Don't get me wrong I think it's a decent channel... when I get the chance to watch it at someones house with a skybox. I'm on virginmedia so I don't have that channel, surely having dbkai on a more popular channel will allow it more success and potential to become big again anyway. I really hope it's not kix :?

And yeah I'm also hoping it's the Funi dub, not only to save confusion but also because I'd personally prefer it, but mainly to save confusion.. I guess. :lol:

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:50 pm

Super Gazellian wrote:Man I really hope it's not aired on kix. Don't get me wrong I think it's a decent channel... when I get the chance to watch it at someones house with a skybox.
I don't think you're gonna be in much luck without a Sky Box or Freesat, man. :(

Super Gazellian
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Gazellian » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Damn, oh well I guess, I might be able to convince my girlfriend to watch it with me sometimes :P
My main concern was for it to reach a wider audience so we can start getting more merchandise 'cause I think we can all agree we get pretty much NUUUUTHING :lol:

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:25 pm

I really don't think it's all that confusing since a lot of Kix's viewers will be kids who have never seen Dragonball Z before so having the ocean cast isn't an issue since it's their introduction to the series.

Also the funimation version of Kai has been available for ages now and anyone who wanted to see it likely has so I'de prefer if it wasn't that version. At least with ocean Kai hardcore fans will have an actual incentive to tune in as this could potentially be another TV only dub and if that's the case it could be the first and last time we get to see it.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:20 pm

NitroEX wrote:I really don't think it's all that confusing since a lot of Kix's viewers will be kids who have never seen Dragonball Z before so having the ocean cast isn't an issue since it's their introduction to the series.

Also the funimation version of Kai has been available for ages now and anyone who wanted to see it likely has so I'de prefer if it wasn't that version. At least with ocean Kai hardcore fans will have an actual incentive to tune in as this could potentially be another TV only dub and if that's the case it could be the first and last time we get to see it.
Other than the UK, wouldn't this also broadcast in Canada?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray