Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Solidus » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:59 am

Ranma 1/2, InuYasha, Deathnote all English Dubs produced by VIZ Media. Does this mean that KAZE (VIZ Media Europe) are producing this dub?

@ Subzero Ice, Quality wise how is this dub compared to Ocean's dub of Deathnote? Your claims of it being a high quality would mean it would have to be at least equal with Funimation's Dub of Kai. But is it as good as Deathnote?

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Gonstead wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
penguintruth wrote:I wonder if Terry Klassen is returning as Kuririn. I hope he won't be playing Roshi again.
I personally hope he does return but I also heard a while ago that his replacement could be the guy who did the voice of Edd from Ed, Edd n Eddy (Double D the one with the hat). If that is true then I won't mind too much since his Edd voice is pretty similar to Klassen's Krillin/Kuririn.
He sounds closer to Mayumi Tanaka with the voice, at least to me.
Double-D? Or Terry Klassen?

Because, honestly, I don't really like Mr. Klassen in the role. He really sounds like a caricature more than a character.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:01 pm

I think Klassen is a fine Kuririn. And anyway, maybe he'll be improved. Sonny Strait improved for Kai, after all.

Just keep him away from Roshi. Sounds like Kuririn doing his worst Roshi impression.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:32 pm

CaBrPi wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
I personally hope he does return but I also heard a while ago that his replacement could be the guy who did the voice of Edd from Ed, Edd n Eddy (Double D the one with the hat). If that is true then I won't mind too much since his Edd voice is pretty similar to Klassen's Krillin/Kuririn.
He sounds closer to Mayumi Tanaka with the voice, at least to me.
Double-D? Or Terry Klassen?

Because, honestly, I don't really like Mr. Klassen in the role. He really sounds like a caricature more than a character.
Double-D of course.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:52 pm

I've got a feeling it might actually be Alessandro Juliani. It would be someone that nobody was expecting, it would match up with with KaiserNeko's comment and honestly I could imagine him pulling off a happy go lucky voice that would fit well for Goku. That said, I reckon Alessandro Juliani would make a great Captain Ginyu.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:26 pm

That would be interesting if it was Allesandro Juliani. Actually, if I recall correctly, he was being tossed around earlier among us fans as a good choice for Freeza. I think I could see him pulling it off.

I'm sure many of my fellow Kanzenshuuers are well aware of his work as L in the English dub of "Death Note," but for those who aren't, here's a behind-the-scenes video of him recording his dialogue. This video also features Karl Willems, the director of "Death Note"'s dub, who also directed the three uncut Ocean/Pioneer-dubbed DBZ movies. He's supposedly a great director, which would make sense considering that the dubs he directs are consistently very good. Here's hoping he directed the Ocean dub of Kai!

EDIT: Eh, what the heck, while we're talking about the Ocean dub and English dub DBZ voice actors, here's a behind-the-scenes video featuring Brian Drummond, too.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:51 pm

I definitely agree that he could make for a good Freeza. I'm not sold on him playing Goku yet, though.

Mr. Cox fits the part much better, in my opinion. Though my knowledge of these actors is rather limited.

I think Richard Newman could make a good Gyumao, going by his work as Rhinox.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Come to think of it, who won't they replace, aside from McNeil?

Is Saffron Henderson still voice acting? Jason Gray-Stanford? Ted Cole? Dave Ward? Lisa Ann Beley? Ward Perry?

The Dobson brothers are still active, right? Brian Drummond, Cathy Weseluck, and Don Brown are, aren't they?

I'd like to hear Maryke Hendrikse in it. Tabitha St. Germain. Dean Redman, Chris Britton, Shannon Chan-Kent, and Vincent Tong, too.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:21 pm

I'm quite certain that we won't be seeing David Kaye's Recoome making a return since he seems to have moved away from anime dubbing and plus he's living in LA now.

Brian Drummond I think has a strong chance of coming back since he still seems pretty active and in past interviews he's always been very fond of the Vegeta role. My only doubts about him returning would be because of the screaming. I remember in one interview he said Vegeta was one of his first roles working for Ocean and he only put up with all the screaming because he was basically a newbie and still trying to impress.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:44 pm

NitroEX wrote:I'm quite certain that we won't be seeing David Kaye's Recoome making a return since he seems to have moved away from anime dubbing and plus he's living in LA now.

Brian Drummond I think has a strong chance of coming back since he still seems pretty active and in past interviews he's always been very fond of the Vegeta role. My only doubts about him returning would be because of the screaming. I remember in one interview he said Vegeta was one of his first roles working for Ocean and he only put up with all the screaming because he was basically a newbie and still trying to impress.
Expect Vegeta not to sound exactly the same as we heard in 1996. The reason... back then the cast was told to go "all out" and scream the hardest they ever could. Only one of the actors actually had a huge schedules in terms of dubbing jobs other than DBZ, that was Ian Corlette. Back then, for the other actors, it was their first big breakthrough in anime dubbing and getting recognition they deserved. There was over 2 days of a break from each 8 hour recording session from DBZ back in 1996 for most of the actors. These days, they can't afford to ruin their voice, because they are dubbing/voice recording in much more (commercials, American cartoons, other anime etc).

It has 'evolved'.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:14 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
NitroEX wrote:I'm quite certain that we won't be seeing David Kaye's Recoome making a return since he seems to have moved away from anime dubbing and plus he's living in LA now.

Expect Vegeta not to sound exactly the same as we heard in 1996. The reason... back then the cast was told to go "all out" and scream the hardest they ever could. Only one of the actors actually had a huge schedules in terms of dubbing jobs other than DBZ, that was Ian Corlette. Back then, for the other actors, it was their first big breakthrough in anime dubbing and getting recognition they deserved. There was over 2 days of a break from each 8 hour recording session from DBZ back in 1996 for most of the actors. These days, they can't afford to ruin their voice, because they are dubbing/voice recording in much more (commercials, American cartoons, other anime etc).

It has 'evolved'.
Here's a fun little experiment that anybody can try. Do an all-out, loud-as-you-can, no-holds-barred scream and see how long you can hold it. I remember thinking I could hold one really long, and my record so far is (I think) 15 seconds...probably closer to 10. I remember timing myself for the heck of it once and going, "Oh yeah, 30 seconds, no prob....WHAT? 5 SECONDS!?"

I can't imagine how much pain the vocal cords of some DBZ cast members must have been in. Japanese, English, German, Spanish...I have no idea how they pulled off some of this stuff for super-long recording sessions.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Attitudefan wrote:

It has 'evolved'.
It's funny, that was the exact same situation for most of the Funi cast as well. Who knew DBZ started so many voice acting careers, lol.

If Drummond does come back, I am really curious to see what kind of performance he will give. He's a good actor, but you never know with any given role how an actor might take them based on script, direction, and what feels right.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:28 am

Not that big of a loss IMO, I think his Reacoom is overrated.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:30 am

ringworm128 wrote:
Not that big of a loss IMO, I think his Reacoom is overrated.
Overrated? Some people like his Recoome?

I mean, it's slightly less painful than Sabat's, but that's like saying a punch to the face is better than a kick to the groin.

Can I get a Schemen?

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 am

penguintruth wrote:
KingofWisdom wrote:KaiserNeko has insider information on the Ocean dub? I'm skeptical that some e-celebrity would have this info.
Hey, Kaiser gets around. He rubs elbows with the creme-de-la-creme of the industry... like LittleKuriboh.

Seriously though, I can believe he has contacts.
Real talk? You guys crack me the fuck up some times.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:10 am

Until new info saying otherwise, I'm gonna believe that the new Ocean Gokū's gonna be either Alessandro Juliani or Richard Ian Cox.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:15 pm

Puto wrote:Until new info saying otherwise, I'm gonna believe that the new Ocean Gokū's gonna be either Alessandro Juliani or Richard Ian Cox.
Out of the two Alessandro Juliani would be the most interesting to hear doing Goku. I'd say he'd be able to do a good job on it but it is hard to imagine his take on the voice. Richard Ian Cox kinda makes sense so maybe it is Juliani, he seems like a less likely choice.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:31 pm

I don't care who it is, so long as he's got a good naive, boyish voice. Was it said if Karl Wilhelms will be directing this or not?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Puto wrote:Until new info saying otherwise, I'm gonna believe that the new Ocean Gokū's gonna be either Alessandro Juliani or Richard Ian Cox.
My thoughts exactly. From that Kappei Yamaguchi hint, those were the only two Vancouver voice actors that came straight to mind who've played Yamaguchi's english counterpart at one time. Unless the (exteremely unlikely) Sarah Strange came back into voice acting again and got the role of Goku. Hehe wouldn't that be ironic.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

elcrunkus

Post by elcrunkus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:34 pm

Is this going to be released this month?