Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Subzero Ice

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Subzero Ice » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:08 am

penguintruth wrote:Would say it would be as good as Ocean's dub of Black Lagoon?

Blu-Ray set out soon (tomorrow in fact) from Funimation, by the way. Both seasons. The English dub, along with Death Note's is probably Ocean's finest work.
Haven't seen Black Lagoon so can't say.
Kendamu wrote:Is there any possibility of this getting a home release or is this just a TV broadcast thing?
That's not up to Ocean. DVD releases depend on securing a deal with a distributor. At the moment, Manga UK are releasing the worst ever DBZ DVDs in the UK, but it is being distributed. Although Toei 'nudged' Manga UK to those cropped releases (it was cheaper than the Dragon Boxes) Toei would need to make sure they authorise the Ocean dub of Kai for distribution, if a distributor secures the rights to Kai.
bkev wrote:Subzero Ice, do you know whether the dub was produced unedited or with cuts for content made before they even recorded lines? While I'd love for it to be the former, I'm kind of expecting the latter. I hope that's not something that could get you in trouble, but feel free to decline comment.
At the beginning, all options were considered, but I can't confirm whether they did end up dubbing it uncut or not.
Solidus wrote:Subzero Ice, do you know who the company making this dub is? I know you probably can't say who they are but do they have a good track record with previous dubs?
To be honest, I didn't go out of my way to try and find out who the company behind the dub is, as I was more interested in how the dub was being produced.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Oh yeah dude, no worries. I figured you probably weren't going to say exactly, but I was looking for the most intriguing vague hint that you were willing to drop.

I totally get it. I don't want anybody getting in trouble. I hear 'ya about networking, though...it certainly does have perks, regardless of what business you're in!
Yea, cheers for understanding.

Subzero Ice

Post by Subzero Ice » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:08 am

Deleted.
Last edited by Subzero Ice on Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:20 am, edited 6 times in total.

Subzero Ice

Post by Subzero Ice » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:14 am

Subzero Ice wrote:
Not happening. Kelamis wasn't even asked to audition.
I want to add a personal option to this point.

When Kelamis told me that he wasn't asked to audition for Goku, I found it......strange. Out of the VAs who have dubbed for Goku, Kelamis was the closest to the original Japanese, especially vocal wise. With new direction, I think that Kelamis could've portrayed Goku in the manner Ocean were looking for.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:26 am

Subzero Ice wrote:
Subzero Ice wrote:

When Kelamis told me that he wasn't asked to audition for Goku, I found it......strange. Out of the VAs who have dubbed for Goku, Kelamis was the closest to the original Japanese, especially vocal wise. With new direction, I think that Kelamis could've portrayed Goku in the manner Ocean were looking for.
Maybe they thought he didn't want to come back based on him leaving in the previous dub.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:56 am

Subzero Ice wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Would say it would be as good as Ocean's dub of Black Lagoon?

Blu-Ray set out soon (tomorrow in fact) from Funimation, by the way. Both seasons. The English dub, along with Death Note's is probably Ocean's finest work.
Haven't seen Black Lagoon so can't say.
Haven't heard Death Note's dub, haven't heard Black Lagoon's dub... what was the last Ocean dub you've heard?
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:54 am

Subzero Ice wrote:
Subzero Ice wrote:

Maybe the guy they chose was easier to get and could still portray Goku in a Nozawa-esque way. Until I hear him for myself, I can only speculate, though.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:14 am

Oh yeah, there's one more thing I guess worth mentioning. I thought it was kind of trivial at first and didn't think it was worth mentioning, but now I think this ties into the fact that they're taking the treatment of this dub more seriously: Apparently they're going so far as to pronounce Namek as "Naw-mek" like it sounds in Japanese.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:19 am

Kirbopher wrote:Oh yeah, there's one more thing I guess worth mentioning. I thought it was kind of trivial at first and didn't think it was worth mentioning, but now I think this ties into the fact that they're taking the treatment of this dub more seriously: Apparently they're going so far as to pronounce Namek as "Naw-mek" like it sounds in Japanese.
Anything else like Kikoho and Tenshinhan?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:29 am

I think Cathy Weseluck would make a great Ghurd. I was listening to her Near voice and noticed it kinda sounded like Greg Ayers Ghurd minus the rasp. So I thought to myself "ad some rasp and you've got a perfect Ghurd."
Kirbopher wrote:Oh yeah, there's one more thing I guess worth mentioning. I thought it was kind of trivial at first and didn't think it was worth mentioning, but now I think this ties into the fact that they're taking the treatment of this dub more seriously: Apparently they're going so far as to pronounce Namek as "Naw-mek" like it sounds in Japanese.
That's cool but I just know there is going to be more then a few dub fans complaining. Just look at what happened with the comercial for DBZ Kinect.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:06 am

Sort of makes me wonder about "Saiyan" now that you brought that up.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:25 am

Pronouncing Namek as "Naw-mek" like it sounds in Japanese? I've never pronounced Namek like that.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:26 am

It's tough to get pronunciations across using just letters for our stupid American accents :). I think what Kirb's getting at is that instead of "Namek" in FUNimation's dub sounding like the "a" in "cane", it will be more like "calm" in the UK dub.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:37 am

VegettoEX wrote:It's tough to get pronunciations across using just letters for our stupid American accents :). I think what Kirb's getting at is that instead of "Namek" in FUNimation's dub sounding like the "a" in "cane", it will be more like "calm" in the UK dub.
The ‘a’ in FUNi's Namek doesn't sound like the ‘a’ in ‘cane’, it sounds like the ‘a’ in ‘mad’.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:38 am

See what I mean? :P Tough to convey.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:36 am

Mike gets it. ;]

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:51 am

Hmm....interesting. So what is the proper pronunciation of "Namek"? I always thought that the Japanese pronounced it like "naw-mek" just because that's how "Namek" sounds when pronounced with a Japanese accent.

Also, one of the things intriguing me about this dub is that I've heard evidence to suggest that it will be a relatively cheap, low-budget dub (rumors of replaced BGM, outsourcing to Blue Water), and I've heard other things to suggest that they are really taking their time to make this a great dub (the extensive effort put into casting Goku, pronunciation of Japanese terms just as the Japanese cast pronounced them).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:22 pm

Well, if they're going with the Nah-mehk pronunciation, how about Saiyan and Saibaimen, Saibamen was never pronounced wrong, but, you guys get what I'm saying, haha. Hell, if they use Saiyan (Sigh-yan) and Goku ends up being as good as the hype is implying, this could give it a slight edge over the FUNimation dub.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Subzero Ice

Post by Subzero Ice » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:30 pm

Gonstead wrote: Maybe they thought he didn't want to come back based on him leaving in the previous dub.
I thought of that as well, but the situation is not the same as it was in the early 2000s. Kelamis seemed a bit disappointed at not being asked to return so it's possible if chosen he may have committed for the entire duration this time. Nonetheless Ocean certainly know what they are doing.
penguintruth wrote:Haven't heard Death Note's dub, haven't heard Black Lagoon's dub... what was the last Ocean dub you've heard?
Correction. I have heard Death Note's dub, but not all or even most of it. Death Note didn't interest me at the time so I didn't bother to keep up with it. However the story sounds interesting on paper so I plan to give Death Note another chance sometime.

Black Lagoon doesn't interest me. Even though Ocean produced a decent dub of it, I don't have time to follow it unless I am interested in it.
VegettoEX wrote:It's tough to get pronunciations across using just letters for our stupid American accents . I think what Kirb's getting at is that instead of "Namek" in FUNimation's dub sounding like the "a" in "cane", it will be more like "calm" in the UK dub.
Yep. They also have words which are pronounced closer to how they'd be said in the UK instead of the US.

To further illustrate the Namek example. Think of how the word Majin is pronounced in the dubs. It's the same as the Japanese, with a strong 'a' sound. Fortunately both Ocean and Funimation pronounced Majin properly from the start. The Japanese pronunciation is the same as it would be in the UK. If they followed the US pronunciation, the 'a' in Majin may have ended up sounding like the 'a' in sad.

Now think how Funimation pronounces Namek, the 'a' sound is not as 'strong' as it should be. The 'a' in Namek should be pronounced like the 'a' in Majin, in Gohan, in Saiya-jin, etc to use some DBZ related examples. That's how Ocean would be pronouncing Namek properly this time.
Last edited by Subzero Ice on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:32 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It's tough to get pronunciations across using just letters for our stupid American accents :). I think what Kirb's getting at is that instead of "Namek" in FUNimation's dub sounding like the "a" in "cane", it will be more like "calm" in the UK dub.
Ah, I get it. Now I want them to pronounce Gero as "Ghero", too.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:15 pm

kei17 wrote:
Ah, I get it. Now I want them to pronounce Gero as "Ghero", too.
Anything's better than pronouncing it as Jyro.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.