Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:22 pm

Well, TBP, you summed it up pretty nicely. Well done.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:27 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:Someone from Kix responded to a fellow Kanzenshuuer via e-mail that they are indeed airing the FUNimation dub of Kai.
Yea, I got that confirmation e-mail.

A few other points:

- Lee Tocker was also cast as a 'fun character with claws'. This is probably Saibaman.

- Scott McNeil revealed that he is basically reprising all his roles. He even mentioned Buu arc characters before the Buu arc of Kai was announced.

-Some Calgary actors, from Blue Water Studios, will end up in the dub.

- Brian Drummond mentioned something about re-dubbing lines.

-Scott McNeil confirmed the pronunciation of Naw-mek at a recent con while giving a rant about how the new pronunciation is driving him crazy.

- Kix!, who are airing Kai in the UK, have not responded to why they have the Funi dub over Ocean. It's also worth noting that going by their current broadcast schedule for the show, they will be finished airing the 53 episodes they have licensed by the 1st of February. Meaning that they will have the first two arcs of Kai aired in one month. Question is why the rush?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Solidus wrote:- Lee Tocker was also cast as a 'fun character with claws'. This is probably Saibaman.
But why would he talk about such a minor, bit character as that? :?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:34 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:But why would he talk about such a minor, bit character as that? :?
He probably enjoyed voicing the character. It would make sense for it to be a Saibaman because that tweet was shortly after he tweeted about getting cast as Frieza so it would have to be early in the series and because voicing the Saibamen meant he could go crazy talking jibberish and making squeak noises with his voice.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Are all the Tao Pai Pai/Mercenary Tao scenes across the Android and Cell sagas filler and therefore not in Kai? I was hoping Scott McNiel would reprise that role as I always found his Tao voice quite humorous (in a good way).

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:28 pm

They're indeed all filler and not in Kai. Sorry.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:35 pm

A shame really as they were some of my more favorite moments of filler.

A Kai version combining the two episodes would have been nice if it indeed happened.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Solidus wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:But why would he talk about such a minor, bit character as that? :?
He probably enjoyed voicing the character. It would make sense for it to be a Saibaman because that tweet was shortly after he tweeted about getting cast as Freeza so it would have to be early in the series and because voicing the Saibamen meant he could go crazy talking jibberish and making squeak noises with his voice.
Perhaps.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:18 pm

If the UK is airing the Funimation version, then I don't think this dub is still happening. The whole situation seemed bizarre from the beginning.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:05 am

tvfan721 wrote:If the UK is airing the Funimation version, then I don't think this dub is still happening. The whole situation seemed bizarre from the beginning.
I disagree. The situation certainly is a tad on the weird side, but for it to graduate to the level of certifiably bizarre, then Canada would have to get the FUNimation dub of Kai on TV rather than the Ocean dub.

I'm 100% convinced that the Ocean dub is happening. We've heard it from several different sources now. I highly doubt Sean Schemmel, Kirby Morrow, Scott McNeil, Kirbopher, Subzero Ice, Bria--oh, sorry, can't mention him--Lee Tockar, and KaiserNeko would all lie. It would be one thing if it was just one or two of them that weren't privy to this info and either misspoke, misunderstood, or flat-out lied...but at this point, I'm totally convinced that the Ocean dub is happening. It's just a matter of time.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:19 am

Hopefully the actual content isn't butchered by edits when it arrives on TV.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

elcrunkus

Post by elcrunkus » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:39 am

I was told a few months ago by someone dubbing the show that they were at episode 65 for the ocean dub (i dont want to give out name). By this point they should have easily been over the two thirds mark of dubbing the show.

That would of put them well past the whole frieza/namek story arc. I have absolutely no idea why the funi dub showed up int he UK.

Mcneil, Tockar and other actors have said the show was in existence. Even this past November Scott said the show was still being worked on.

Why would they just do a dub for canadian audiences? It must be really cheaply produced I'm afraid.

elcrunkus

Post by elcrunkus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:58 am

If someone has ocean groups number we should get someone to call them perhaps? I really want to know if this even exist at this point and where it will be shown. Is there anyone here from canada (where ocean is located) that would be willing to call them? If not I'll call them and ask.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:31 am

No-one is going to answer a question for you about something that has not even been officially announced if you just randomly call the studio.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

elcrunkus

Post by elcrunkus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:01 am

VegettoEX wrote:No-one is going to answer a question for you about something that has not even been officially announced if you just randomly call the studio.

Yeah, you're probably right. It's not like I would demand them tell me though. I'd just nicely ask if they could say anything about it.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:37 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Solidus wrote:- Lee Tocker was also cast as a 'fun character with claws'. This is probably Saibaman.
But why would he talk about such a minor, bit character as that? :?
Well it wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened. One of Greg Ayers favorite roles is Kaworu from Evangelion, even though he only did a couple of eps for the directors cut dub.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:54 pm

Seeing this topic, a part of me started wondering, think if this happens, Andrea Libman will now be able to play older Chi-Chi like she did younger Chi-Chi back in 95? Also wonder if she or Tabitha St. Germain is cast, their fans on Friendship is Magic will want to watch more since they're on the show.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:07 pm

Alright, if I understand well, there are serious hints of an Ocean Dub, but it won't be used for airing the show on TV (it's the Funimation version instead).
So, maybe it's because they didn't finish in time for the scheduled date and maybe the Ocean Dub will be used for the DVD/Blu-Ray release? Perhaps even with three available audio tracks: Japanese, Funimation English and Ocean English?

Anyway, the Ocean dub being produced for the disc release is a possibility, right? If I'm not mistaken, it's not the first time a dub is actually DVD-exclusive and not aired on TV (I'm think there were DVD-exclusive uncensored dubs (or re-dubs) of Funimation)?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:51 pm

Cold Skin wrote:Alright, if I understand well, there are serious hints of an Ocean Dub, but it won't be used for airing the show on TV (it's the Funimation version instead).
So, maybe it's because they didn't finish in time for the scheduled date and maybe the Ocean Dub will be used for the DVD/Blu-Ray release? Perhaps even with three available audio tracks: Japanese, Funimation English and Ocean English?

Anyway, the Ocean dub being produced for the disc release is a possibility, right? If I'm not mistaken, it's not the first time a dub is actually DVD-exclusive and not aired on TV (I'm think there were DVD-exclusive uncensored dubs (or re-dubs) of Funimation)?
Well, it can't happen in Canada, and Funi has the North American distribution rights, and seeing as how Canada would be using an English dub, and they have an English dub...for DVD in Canada, the only hope is either a double-dub release, or Funi sees a chance to really profit off of the Ocean Dub, so they allow them to make Ocean DVDs at a cost to them. TV release has better odds there.

In the UK, Ocean has a better shot at DVD than here, but at the same time, it probably hurts those odds that Funi's Kai is on TV. Frankly, Canadian TV is their best bet, with all the other options as unlikely. But, like I said before, if Funi wants to do a double-dub DVD/Blu Ray, I'll buy it. Would be cool to switch audio tracks on the fly, and compare lines (Sabat nailed this line, but here, McNeil blew him out of the water).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:08 pm

I hate these distribution lock-ups.. Imagine how much more TOEI could make if they sold Ocean and Kai. I would love for there to be an ocean kai official release as it would mean there were legal options to obtain the ocean dub for those outside Canada, England, etc. (assuming is there is a DVD release)