DB anime in 1st FMA anime's creative style?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

DB anime in 1st FMA anime's creative style?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:42 pm

How would you feel if Toei, or even another animation studio, made another Dragon Ball anime that was loosely adapted from the manga similarly to the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime? In that, it followed the events of the first couple volumes and/or up until the latter half of the series, before diverging off into its own, original story?

For example, Lunch is kept in the story post-23rd TB, Yamcha and Tenshinhan learn the Kaiouken, the Saiyans don't get Zenkais at certain points in the Freeza arc, Freeza only has three forms, Freeza dies on Namek, Coola comes to Earth instead of Mecha Freeza and Great King Kold, #16 is repaired post-Cell Games, Gokuu and Vegeta remain dead, Goten and Trunks can't use SS, Gokuu doesn't reach SS3, Vegetto's replaced by Gogeta, Kibito's killed by Maouji Vegeta instead of Dabra, etc.

Would you be interested in it? Do you think it could work?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: DB anime in 1st FMA anime's creative style?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:51 pm

They already tried but it's time for a new story. No point trying to show the same that has been available for years.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:00 pm

At first I thought you were proposing a darker take on the DB world, since the first FMA is decidedly darker in tone than the manga/Brotherhood is, haha.

As far as your actual idea though...I'd enjoy an actually much more radical take. I wanted what DB SD seemed to be doing at first, with it's first chapter having the setup for a very different start - Goku going right to training with Roshi and Kuririn, not having met Bulma or having anything to do with Dragon Balls (outside of having his Grandpa's keepsake maybe), and seeing what different kind of situations could pop up with new and familiar characters both as the story went on. Of course, then SD went completely off the rails of that...

Or for another idea - I'd love a story taking place after the 23rd tournament, Goku's victory over Piccolo and everything not changed - but then all of Z is nil. None of that happens. Instead, the story continues on in the vein of 'fantasy' as it had before. No aliens, no androids, no magical beings made by wizards (well, that could still work I suppose). And instead of being a Saiyan, perhaps Goku's origin is that he's the reborn Monkey King, or something like that. This could also use old characters in new and exciting ways, or bring in entirely new characters as well.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:03 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:At first I thought you were proposing a darker take on the DB world, since the first FMA is decidedly darker in tone than the manga/Brotherhood is, haha.

As far as your actual idea though...I'd enjoy an actually much more radical take. I wanted what DB SD seemed to be doing at first, with it's first chapter having the setup for a very different start - Goku going right to training with Roshi and Kuririn, not having met Bulma or having anything to do with Dragon Balls (outside of having his Grandpa's keepsake maybe), and seeing what different kind of situations could pop up with new and familiar characters both as the story went on. Of course, then SD went completely off the rails of that...

Or for another idea - I'd love a story taking place after the 23rd tournament, Goku's victory over Piccolo and everything not changed - but then all of Z is nil. None of that happens. Instead, the story continues on in the vein of 'fantasy' as it had before. No aliens, no androids, no magical beings made by wizards (well, that could still work I suppose). And instead of being a Saiyan, perhaps Goku's origin is that he's the reborn Monkey King, or something like that. This could also use old characters in new and exciting ways, or bring in entirely new characters as well.

I would so watch that fantasy-alternative version. The post-23rd tournament is such a great jumping board; you could really bring in more "Journey to the West" elements that way as well. While I haven't read JttW (I've only read info about it), I feel like there must be tons of stuff in there that could be pulled from for use in pre-Z DB as parts of storylines.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:16 pm

So long as it's done well, sure. It's better than repeating the same story has the franchise has seen lately.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:41 pm

I dunno, it's not like this was done with FMA for creative purposes; it was a weekly show covering a monthly series and they naturally caught up fast. And I'm not sure if dbboxkaifan was talking about GT, but that's the first thing I thought of when hearing your idea.

I'm really up for anything that's interesting and carries the spirit of the comic. Hell, let's make power level debates eve more meaningless with alternate stories that depict differences in the strength of the characters.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki