Anyone catch this?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Anyone catch this?

Post by Krycek7o2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:36 pm

Picture credit from the Blu-ray forums: batmaniscool70

It was pretty weird. I heard of it through the BD forums and went over to check it out.
It was originally posted here: http://www.funimation.com/news
But then it was updated/changed a few hours later.

In case you don't see it: Dragon Ball Season 1: BLU-RAY!!! And not...
Last edited by Krycek7o2 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: Anyone catch this?

Post by Gonstead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:44 pm

Definitely an interesting find. At least this hopefully gives us an idea on what FUNimation have been planning for a new release of Dragon Ball this year.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:45 pm

It's also possible that they honestly made a mistake.

Anyway, I'm more interested in Dragon Boxes than Funimation's own remaster.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:47 pm

penguintruth wrote:It's also possible that they honestly made a mistake.

Anyway, I'm more interested in Dragon Boxes than Funimation's own remaster.
I'm the opposite. I'm pretty much done with DVD at this point. The R2 DBoxes will do for me, I'd much rather wait for an HD remaster of the series. Whether it's Toei or FUNimation, that's the next time I'll make another DB related purchase.
I recently bought the Cowboy Bebop set from Japan, and man oh man, that is great. Sure it's 1080i for some strange reason, but the quality of the picture and audio blew me away.
Last edited by Krycek7o2 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:49 pm

Perfect timing, considering I just finished picking up the run of "blue brick" sets.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote: I recently bought the Cowboy Bebop set from Japan, and man oh man, that is great. Sure it's 1080i for some strange reason, but the quality of the picture and audio blew me away.
Isn't that set obsenely expensive?

I'm thinking about importing the UK set, which will be the same thing.

Anyway, the Cowboy Bebop remaster is something that was done by the Japanese. I will leave remastering anime to the Japanese. Which is why I refuse to (knowingly) buy any of Funimation's remastered stuff (unless it's the only possible option, and even then reluctantly). It's not their place to remaster anything. They didn't make the show. I'm not interested in how they think I should watch it.

I think the Level Sets are too dark, anyway.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:57 pm

penguintruth wrote:
Krycek7o2 wrote: I recently bought the Cowboy Bebop set from Japan, and man oh man, that is great. Sure it's 1080i for some strange reason, but the quality of the picture and audio blew me away.
Isn't that set obsenely expensive?

I'm thinking about importing the UK set, which will be the same thing.
Yes is it, but I went with the cheaper option. From Amazon.jp I got it for about 190, plus shipping.
Since I'm in the states and I'm pretty much screwed in getting it released here, with Bandai now MIA here. And I don't have a region free BD player either.
I'm just making my own customs for my media center. Though, you are in for a treat.
penguintruth wrote:Anyway, the Cowboy Bebop remaster is something that was done by the Japanese. I will leave remastering anime to the Japanese. Which is why I refuse to (knowingly) buy any of Funimation's remastered stuff (unless it's the only possible option, and even then reluctantly). It's not their place to remaster anything. They didn't make the show. I'm not interested in how they think I should watch it.

I think the Level Sets are too dark, anyway.
That is true. I agree 100% with you. We know what FUNimation has and it's not the best. And again, I agree with you on "their right" to remaster or change anything.
I fall under the, if it's the best out there at the moment, why not?
Last edited by Krycek7o2 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:58 pm

Well, there's always Bandai Visual.

Who would charge just as much as the Japanese price if they ever did get it.

Can I get a Schemen?

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 pm

Assuming it wasn't a complete goof, it's interesting that they're going with Dragon Ball instead of Z. I guess they'll pick back up with Z on Blu-ray later. I also thought they should have used a "season" format from the very beginning, so good on them for making the shift.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:11 pm

NO. They should NEVER use "season". They don't know what that means.

Can I get a Schemen?

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Soooooo, no Dragon Ball DBox then? *Sigh*

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:18 pm

penguintruth wrote:NO. They should NEVER use "season". They don't know what that means.
For the general audience, it makes perfect sense. They won't know what the hell is the Black Star Saga, but if it's "Season 1," that's all that matters.
Last edited by Krycek7o2 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:19 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:NO. They should NEVER use "season". They don't know what that means.
I never really understood their dropping of "Saga" for "Season." But for the general audience, it makes perfect sense.
They don't know what "saga" means, either.

Nothing that "VOLUME" can't fix.

Can I get a Schemen?

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:21 pm

penguintruth wrote:
Krycek7o2 wrote:
I never really understood their dropping of "Saga" for "Season." But for the general audience, it makes perfect sense.
They don't know what "saga" means, either.

Nothing that "VOLUME" can't fix.
Thank you! That's all you need! Volume, followed by a number. But, yet again that's not common with DVD releases.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:29 pm

penguintruth wrote:
Anyway, the Cowboy Bebop remaster is something that was done by the Japanese. I will leave remastering anime to the Japanese. Which is why I refuse to (knowingly) buy any of Funimation's remastered stuff (unless it's the only possible option, and even then reluctantly). It's not their place to remaster anything. They didn't make the show. I'm not interested in how they think I should watch it.
If that's true, then why are the Level sets better than Dragon Box? If I'm not mistaken, the Level sets are much closer to how Dragon Ball Z was originally broadcasted in Japan during its first run. It looks really great.

I'm really tired of your "It always has to be Toei, not Funimation!!11!!" remarks. What Funimation did to the Level sets was how it was supposed to look in the first place, not Dragon Box. They did better than Pony Canyon ever did.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:33 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I'm really tired of your "It always has to be Toei, not Funimation!!11!!" remarks. What Funimation did to the Level sets was how it was supposed to look in the first place, not Dragon Box. They did better than Pony Canyon ever did.
Come on, now, let's be fair.

For all we know, the Criterion Collection is actually the bane of penguintruth's existence.

Edit - I like that he leaves in the possibility of buying FUNimation's versions by mistake though.
Last edited by Cipher on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:46 pm

OMG, where can I pre-order? Funimation is the best, THE LEVELS were the supreme Sezu Bean!
DRAGONBALL SEASON LEVEL 1 BABEY! BLU RAY!

I've been dreaming of this moment ever since the release of Blu-Ray... *mouth waters*

Gen is the best, just need him to continue the level sets.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 pm

Ugh, I hope this is a mistake because if it's not, it seems my hopes for a DB Dragon Box, and therefore the Japanese title cards, credits, and actual openings and endings, are lost for good. What disappointing (potential) news. :cry:

My only consolation is that I have a hard time believing they'd cancel DBZ because the remastering was too expensive and then jump back to DB. Even if the remastering is different this time, DBZ is the cash cow, so it seems weird they'd do DB first. So hopefully this is incorrect.
Last edited by Gaffer Tape on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:Thank you! That's all you need! Volume, followed by a number. But, yet again that's not common with DVD releases.
"Season" is commonly used with DVD/Blu-Ray releases because most TV shows are produced in distinct seasons. But DB/Z/GT wasn't produced that way, they just ran a new episode a week every week for a decade. So to divide the series into X number of chunks and label them "seasons" is a bit misleading. Which I actually wouldn't mind if it were universally recognized that this was just an arbitrary division scheme adopted for the sake of a home release, but a lot of people naturally assume that these various Season Sets correspond to actual production seasons.

Of course, the Funi dub actually was produced in discreet seasons, but these don't correspond to the Season Set divisions.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:59 pm

I just want the Dragonball dragonboxes (and the movies).. I'm fine with DB/DBZ in DVD format. The show is too old to be that mindblowing in BD. I would only get Battle of Gods in BD.