Dragon Ball Z returns to US's WJ, in Full Color.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Dragon Ball Z returns to US's WJ, in Full Color.

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:28 pm

So, I just purchased this week's WSJ issue for the Kintoki release, and what do I find at the end? Well, take a look:

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Ryuman
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z returns to US's WSJ, in Full Color.

Post by Ryuman » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Well..... that was a tad unexpected. Cool for the people that will buy this, but I wonder when they'll do a regular Manga release.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:40 pm

That's some pleasant news. I just may have to claim these.

Thanks for the heads up.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:43 pm

Tankōbon? :(

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Sweet! This is subscription based, right? I'll get one for the colored manga!
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:58 pm

Awesome news. And for .99 cents a issue,even for reading DBZ in full-color, makes it all very tempting. I am not interested in the other series due though so there is that. :( Plus, we don't know if they'll get to release full color versions of their digital volumes and that would be a preferable release but who cares, we're getting DBZ in fantastic full-color. :thumbup:

fogdark
Beyond Newbie

Post by fogdark » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:00 pm

Wow, I did not see that coming. At all. This is great news, nonetheless. If anything, this has made me realize just how closely Shueisha is working with Viz. Color me impressed...
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

JP6GAMER
Beyond Newbie

Post by JP6GAMER » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:27 pm

That's really good, exciting news!

And the picture shows my avatar...yay!
" You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keep... his PRIDE! "-Vegeta

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:39 pm

I am rocking my 2013 predictions so far, and we're not even out of January yet. :thumbup:
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Awesome! I'm am so glad I continue to subscribe. I get the newest chapters of One Piece the same day they hit shelves in Japan, Colored Dragon Ball, and an Akira Toriyama one-shot every now and again. Kintoki was in this weeks issue.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 pm

If not for this thread, I would have had no idea that Kintoki had been licensed and translated! Woo-hoo! Thanks for the heads up! Already bought and downloaded! Not to get too off-topic, but have any other Toriyama one-shots been released in this online weekly Jump?

As for the colored manga, I'll copy what I said on the main page:

I noticed that they left the sound effects unedited in the “Kintoki” one-shot. Perhaps since this is the newly-colored version, Viz might not bother re-editing the sound effects and leave the DBZ artwork as-is?

Sure, it’s a long shot, but that alone would be an improvement.

I'm still deciding whether or not to buy all the weekly issues for just one chapter. Sure, $.99 is an absolute STEAL, but considering how many chapters DragonBall has in the Z-era alone, that'll add up significantly. I guess I'll just wait and see how they're handled. I definitely want this colored manga in its entirety in some form, but I haven't yet decided yet if $.99 per online-chapter is the way to do it. Still, major props to Viz.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Hujio wrote:I am rocking my 2013 predictions so far, and we're not even out of January yet. :thumbup:
Don't forget, my psychic prediction came in November when I felt the call to ask about Full Color Dragon Ball, you all are coasting on my super-brain! :lol:

I'm so glad I own a Weekly Shonen Jump Subscription right now.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

the original ero-sennin
Beyond Newbie

Post by the original ero-sennin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:02 pm

MagicBox wrote: Not to get too off-topic, but have any other Toriyama one-shots been released in this online weekly Jump?
In fact they published Sachie-chan Good! in the 2013 Shonen Jump Alpha yearbook. It's a collaborative one-shot between Masakzu Katsura and our own Akira Toriyama.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:03 pm

MagicBox wrote:If not for this thread, I would have had no idea that Kintoki had been licensed and translated! Woo-hoo! Thanks for the heads up! Already bought and downloaded! Not to get too off-topic, but have any other Toriyama one-shots been released in this online weekly Jump?

As for the colored manga, I'll copy what I said on the main page:

I noticed that they left the sound effects unedited in the “Kintoki” one-shot. Perhaps since this is the newly-colored version, Viz might not bother re-editing the sound effects and leave the DBZ artwork as-is?

Sure, it’s a long shot, but that alone would be an improvement.

I'm still deciding whether or not to buy all the weekly issues for just one chapter. Sure, $.99 is an absolute STEAL, but considering how many chapters DragonBall has in the Z-era alone, that'll add up significantly. I guess I'll just wait and see how they're handled. I definitely want this colored manga in its entirety in some form, but I haven't yet decided yet if $.99 per online-chapter is the way to do it. Still, major props to Viz.
It's 99 cents per issue of Weekly Shonen Jump. You're getting around 180 pages a week. If you don't want to pay for that, you can pay for a subscription at $25.99 for a whole year.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:04 pm

the original ero-sennin wrote:Kintoki was in this weeks issue.
Speaking of Kintoki, I hope our webmasters won't mind me going off topic for just a split second here for a translation issue. But I'm confused as to what's going on with Toki's clan name in the one-shot; we've had "Aurumoculi", "Kinme Clan" and the actually translated "Golden-eyed Tribe" from various sources. Julian? Herms? :?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:12 pm

We have no fucking clue where "Aurumoculi" came from in the shitty scanlation. We certainly never used it, and purposefully avoided it when we did our bonus podcast on the one-shot.

Viz does it correctly right in their first dialog bubble. It's the "Golden Eyed" tribe/clan. I'm not sure why they didn't just call it "Kintoki of the Golden Eyed Clan" right in the title ("kin" = gold, "me" = eyes), but whatever.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:21 pm

the original ero-sennin wrote:In fact they published Sachie-chan Good! in the 2013 Shonen Jump Alpha yearbook. It's a collaborative one-shot between Masakzu Katsura and our own Akira Toriyama.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info! I'll have to keep an eye out for more.
Mewzard wrote:It's 99 cents per issue of Weekly Shonen Jump. You're getting around 180 pages a week. If you don't want to pay for that, you can pay for a subscription at $25.99 for a whole year.
Yeah, I read about that on their site before joining, and I've already bought and looked through the first issue. But the thing is, DragonBall's the only series out of those that I'd actually read. So really, the only thing I'm putting my money toward are the DragonBall chapters. It's still an absolute steal, like I said in my previous post, but I was just saying I'll wait and see how everything turns out when the first chapter debuts next week before putting down the money for a subscription.

On another note, I'm glad to hear that Viz's translation for Kintoki is good. I've been very excited to read it.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Dragon Ballin'? Really?! :eh:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Viz does it correctly right in their first dialog bubble.
Figured as much, just double checking. Thanks.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:01 pm

So since Viz's online WSJ uses the original Japanese artwork (sound effects and all), do you guys think we might be lucky enough to get all of the unedited art this time around? I know I mentioned this above, but I'm starting to think that it's a very real possibility. Since these are newly-colored, Viz might not be able to simply re-use their edited pages from their graphic novel releases. They might be "stuck" with the originals for the time being.

If we are lucky enough to get the original artwork, then that's a major plus right there, even if the dialogue itself isn't revised/fixed.