Question about Fusion

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saitou Hajime
Beyond Newbie

Question about Fusion

Post by Saitou Hajime » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:40 pm

I just want to clarify if the two beings needing to be of the same power or close and matching their power exactly are treated as the same thing or are different concepts, the former (having the same power or close) a prerequisite for fusion itself and the latter (matching powers exactly) a step in the actual ritual.

Kaboom

Re: Question about Fusion

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:49 pm

That's correct, it seems that being similar in power is a prerequisite for the Fusion Dance, while matching powers exactly is part of how it's performed. Trunks is slightly stronger than Goten at their bests, but they were still almost perfect for it. Likewise, Goku considered Vegeta and Gohan as both candidates for Fusion with him, even though Gohan is noticeably weaker than Goku or Vegeta.

Also interesting, though, is that Goku still considers Gohan a potential Fusion partner for himself later, after Gohan's been boosted into his "Ultimate" state and has leagues more power than he did before.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Saitou Hajime
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saitou Hajime » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:01 pm

Kaboom wrote: Also interesting, though, is that Goku still considers Gohan a potential Fusion partner for himself later, after Gohan's been boosted into his "Ultimate" state and has leagues more power than he did before.
That could be explained as Goku spitballing without thinking it through, as Old Kai pointed out that Goku didn't even consider that Buu wouldn't just stand there and let them do the dance.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:03 pm

For the fusion dance, yes both power levels must be exactly the same. For the Potara Earrings, no. This is obvious because Kibito is not anywhere close to Kaioshin's power level.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Legendary Saiya-Jin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Legendary Saiya-Jin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:For the Potara Earrings, no. This is obvious because Kibito is not anywhere close to Kaioshin's power level.
Is it? Perhaps not.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:24 am

deleted
Last edited by Fox666 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:00 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:For the fusion dance, yes both power levels must be exactly the same.
That's not really what's being asked. He wants to know if the beings also have to be a close match in power anyway, or if, say, Buu arc Goku could fusion dance with whatever arc Raditz if he lowered his power enough to match him.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:25 pm

The fusion dance does seem to require a similar "normal" power level (in addition to matching powers exactly while fusing), based on how Goku says that he couldn't find anyone in the afterlife to try it out with (meaning that everyone he encountered was either too far below or too far above him for it to work. Or too far above base form but too far below Super Saiyan, or between his SSj and SSj2 but not close enough to match either, etc.) It can't just be the "suppress power to match the weaker person" thing involved there, because we know that Goku and company can suppress their power down to 5 like a normal human, or even so far that scouters can't detect them until they move or do something... so Goku would be able to fuse with ANY weaker fighter in the afterlife that way. There has to be a restriction on how far apart both characters' "normal" power level is, too.

He also only brings up dance-type fusion with two pairs who are very close in power (himself + Vegeta, and Goten + Trunks), while with Potara fusion he considers characters much weaker than him like Dende and Mr. Satan as possible fusion partners, as well as someone much stronger than anything he has access to (Gohan after the "Ultimate/Mystic" power-up.) We also see that a big power gap (East Kaioshin + Kibito) can still make a complete Potara fusion. There don't seem to be any restrictions at all on who can fuse with the Potara earrings.

Mystic Gohan
Regular

Post by Mystic Gohan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm not sure if being similar in power has to be true really. After all, Goku did think he could fuse with Mystic Gohan. Seeing as Mystic Gohan is leagues above SSjin 3 Goku, that would be a contradiction.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Kaboom wrote:Also interesting, though, is that Goku still considers Gohan a potential Fusion partner for himself later, after Gohan's been boosted into his "Ultimate" state and has leagues more power than he did before.
I have to wonder, though, if the fusion character of Goku and Gohan would still have an access to both "Ultimate" power-up and Super Saiyan. That would be far more complicated than Vegetto. It's not going to be a simple, that's for sure. My feeling is that he would lose SSJ as "Ultimate" seems to be dominant, thus a "Ultimate" fusion.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:15 pm

deleted
Last edited by Fox666 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamesenin is king

Post by Kamesenin is king » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Could gotenks and vegito fuse
It's actually over 8000 vegeta

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:52 pm

Kamesenin is king wrote:Could gotenks and vegito fuse
Doubtful due to height and massive power difference.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kamesenin is king

Post by Kamesenin is king » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:01 pm

I should have worded it differently but my question was can a fused character fuse with another fused character

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Kamesenin is king wrote:I should have worded it differently but my question was can a fused character fuse with another fused character
I don't think so. But nothing disproves the theory except double potara since it can only be done once if I recall.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Elder Kaioshin said that you can only use the potara once in your lifetime. Personally, I interpreted this as "Vegetto can't give one of his earrings to someone else and fuse with them, and then fuse with someone else, and then fuse with someone else." Even if that's the case, though, it might be possible for fusions (both potara and dance versions) to fuse using the fusion dance, but that would raise some questions. For instance, let's say Goten and Trunks fused and became Gotenks, waited 15 minutes, and then fused with someone else: the second fusion should last for 30 minutes, but after 15 more minutes, Gotenks's own fusion should run out. Would that cause the second fusion to cancel as well?
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Kamesenin is king

Post by Kamesenin is king » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Yes but if gotenks(trunks and goten are adults or at least how old goten was In gt) fused with vegito I thought that they would have 30 minutes total and then the separate

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:49 pm

So long as Gotenks fused with Vegetto immediately after Goten and Trunks fused to make him, I'd assume they'd have around thirty minutes. If they wasted half their time and then fused with Vegetto, though, then I'm not sure what would happen to the Vegetto-Gotenks fusion when Gotenks turns back into Goten and Trunks.

Kamesenin is king

Post by Kamesenin is king » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Yeah so maybe there's a four person dance that would fuse all of them at once but it's a theory and theories can be proven wrong or right
Last edited by Kamesenin is king on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:04 pm

I doubt that Fusion X Fusion, Potara X Potara, or Potara X Fusion is possible.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.