Why did Toriyama change the design of the Super Saiyan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Re: Why did Toriyama change the design of the Super Saiyan?

Post by Kaboom » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:59 pm

All in all, as fun as it might be to make up theories, the most likely answer is just, "Toriyama doesn't remember or care about the differences anymore and is just 'spicing up' his Super Saiyan drawings."
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:15 am

More and more, I'm starting to think the sparks have nothing to do with SS2 and are just about power. Of course, it's also likely that Toriyama's art style changed over the years but I don't find that answer satisfactory to me. :P
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:19 am

Super Saiyan went from Bulky, to Athletic, and finally to cute with sparks as we see here.
It looks close to the One Piece\Fairy Tail art, the more sharp look of recent manga.

I remember reading an article on this site that DragonBall was more round, and DragonBall Z was more square, maybe the recent manga wave in Japan is sharp.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:31 am

The sparks around aura is still a feature for SSj Grade 5. You see that in the manga when Gohan, Goku and Vegeta transformed into SSj Grade 5. The reason a regular Super Saiyan is shown with some sparks was probably due to immense power. Vegetto is an excellent example of that.

(I'm just referring to Grade 5 for just the fun of it.)
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:54 am

I think right now the lightning for SSJ is only there to display one's power, but that didn't necessarily apply for the real DB series back then.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Saiga wrote:More and more, I'm starting to think the sparks have nothing to do with SS2 and are just about power. Of course, it's also likely that Toriyama's art style changed over the years but I don't find that answer satisfactory to me. :P
Same here. Especially since, even in the actual original manga, Vegetto displays sparks when he first transforms into a Super Saiyan.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:53 am

So did Nappa when he powered up, funnily enough.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 am

This might just complicate it more, but for the OPFZ x DBZBOG crossover ticket, Goku is drawn with an electric aura. His hair isn't like Gohan's SS2 hair, but it's not really like Goku's SS1 hair either. It should also be noted that Luffy is depicted to be in Gear Second mode, so maybe SS2 would make more sense?

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:45 am

deleted
Last edited by Fox666 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 am

Imagine Luffy or Goku using each others respective techniques. Luffy using Kaioken and Goku using Gear Second.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

lash
Regular

Post by lash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 am

batistabus wrote:This might just complicate it more, but for the OPFZ x DBZBOG crossover ticket, Goku is drawn with an electric aura. His hair isn't like Gohan's SS2 hair, but it's not really like Goku's SS1 hair either. It should also be noted that Luffy is depicted to be in Gear Second mode, so maybe SS2 would make more sense?
It's just drawn in a more OP- like fashion(look at the curvature in Goku's eyes), but that's clearly SSj1 Goku's hair.
-Otherwise known as The God of DBG.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:33 am

lash wrote:It's just drawn in a more OP- like fashion(look at the curvature in Goku's eyes), but that's clearly SSj1 Goku's hair.
I don't know, it looks a little different to me. I don't think Toriyama's trying to mimic Oda's style...it just looks like he changed his style for the nth time.
Fox666 wrote:Gear Second is more like the Kaio-ken than Super Saiyan. But if it was a form of Super Saiyan, it would be the first one I guess.
Even so, Gear 2nd, Super Saiyan 2...they both have 2...I don't know.

Wobbuffet
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wobbuffet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:59 am

Super Saiyan 1 and Super Saiyan 2 were always too similar to begin with. Maybe the differences become more subtle after you master both forms?
I mean, it was Goku who said that they were separate forms, but maybe they are just different forms of the same transformation, while Super Saiyan 3 is the only true transformation above Super Saiyan.

Does this make sense?
Sorry, I can't speak English very well, but I'm trying my best.
This is My Anime List.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:08 am

batistabus wrote:His hair isn't like Gohan's SS2 hair, but it's not really like Goku's SS1 hair either.
Wanna elaborate on that? 'Cuz to me it's SS1 hair alright. Obviously not SS1 hair from, say, Freeza arc, but in the Boo arc SS1 hair does look just like in that picture.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:46 pm

hleV wrote:
batistabus wrote:His hair isn't like Gohan's SS2 hair, but it's not really like Goku's SS1 hair either.
Wanna elaborate on that? 'Cuz to me it's SS1 hair alright. Obviously not SS1 hair from, say, Freeza arc, but in the Boo arc SS1 hair does look just like in that picture.
The way it's parted/the way certain spikes stick up in the front just look off to me.

Then again, like most of where this problem comes from, it could just be a result of what Toriyama thought looked good that day.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:50 pm

I like anything that makes it harder for the people going NO WE MUST ANALYZE EVERY TINY LINE!

I HAVE TO KNOW GOHAN EXACTLY SO MY LIST OF MADEUP HORSESHIT NUMBERS IS SUPERIOR TO OTHER HORSESHIT NUMBER LISTS

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Hair changed significantly. More spiky.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Freeza arc

Artificial Humans arc

Cell Games arc

Boo arc

Battle of Gods

Super Saiyan 2

Goku is definitely a Super Saiyan in that picture.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:14 pm

He didn't seam to care too much about consistency when he was writing the original manga, so we shouldn't expect much from these one-shots.

Too me, that's just Ssj Goku. He could be Ssj2 because of the sparks, but the hair looks Ssj1. Toriyama most likely just drew a cool looking Super Saiyan Goku without thinking too much beyond that. If he had intended for Goku to be the strongest form of super saiyan before the obviously different Ssj3, then yes, he "forgot" the hair and simply added sparks. These days I would think he'd have to know of the two original super saiyan forms, aside from 3.

I would think that by now for Toriyama, "Super Saiyan" is a very broad term, in the sense of what he would make it look like. Big golden hair and an aura of some sort.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:36 am

Wobbuffet wrote:Super Saiyan 1 and Super Saiyan 2 were always too similar to begin with. Maybe the differences become more subtle after you master both forms?
I mean, it was Goku who said that they were separate forms, but maybe they are just different forms of the same transformation, while Super Saiyan 3 is the only true transformation above Super Saiyan.

Does this make sense?
I agree with this as well.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.